Squats retuning?

Probably not.

Jes Goodwin has gone on record regarding his incredible dislike for Squats and desire to never see them return as an army, and ultimately any new miniature ranges pass through him for authorisation - the book authors have no input into what future miniature projects or armies are either. In all likelihood it's a throw-away reference to an old army that's better off dead.

Then again, it could happen. Who knows?

How to get anti primaris crusty gamers like me to give them my money? Offer me something I actually want... 

But I agree, they wont be like the Squats I remember... Still, Squats man... :D

I hope not.

Make a new xeno faction instead.

This. Give us a real xenos faction, instead of just Space Dwarves.

And this is one of the primary reasons why they were dropped as a faction - they were just "space dwarves." It looked bad enough already with the glaringly obvious "space elves."

40k requires a breath of fresh air every now and then - Squats ain't that.

Probably not.

Jes Goodwin has gone on record regarding his incredible dislike for Squats and desire to never see them return as an army, and ultimately any new miniature ranges pass through him for authorisation - the book authors have no input into what future miniature projects or armies are either. In all likelihood it's a throw-away reference to an old army that's better off dead.

Then again, it could happen. Who knows?

Jes is 59 or 60 now, so it’s likely he will retire in the next few years. His successor may feel differently on the subject :lol:

Indeed :D.

But back to Squats. Someone mentioned the Squat in Necromunda. There's been a second one since. So now we have two Dwarf cosplayers running around the Underhive.

I'm guessing Jes doesn't have much input on Necro models from FW, but someone certainly approved these. Whether that means they could return to 40k though is a big leap.

Eh, a lot of the Space Dwarf design has been robbed by the Tau and Space Wolves over the years, though with movement being back in the game a "slow but tough" design space is in the game again in theory. I doubt it though.

I thought it was Alan Merrett who hate vetoed squats (amongst many other things including Knights and Gene cults) though? Entirely possible ive gotten mixed up over the years ofc :) 

I hope not.

So, Demiurg? 

I'm somebody who loves Dwarves in all of their forms, both classic and subversive flavours I'd turn to main either of them in a heartbeat. Memes aside I would absolutely be in favour of Demiurg being fully fleshed out as a new Xenos faction, particularly if it gave Tau a proper ally. Whilst I'd be fine with Squats, the game is already full to burst with Imperial armies and Demiurg would give them an opportunity to truly go wild with their designs, as opposed to what would probably be slightly more advanced Imperial Guard, nevermind GSC already have the 'Imperial miner' aesthetic. Also, Jes Goodwin did do sketches of them despite his apparent disdain for Squats.

If they did do Squats as we know them, I doubt they'd keep the name either.

Edited by Lord Marshal

I hope not.

If they come back they should just be a part of Ad Mech and Guard. A unit here, a unit there, nothing crazy. No more power trikes.

I mean blowing up Cadia didn't stop us from having Cadians, so having some more ab humans running around on the table is fine with me, just not as a faction.

Edited by Fulkes

I hope not.

So, Demiurg? 

If we ever (finally) see them, I'd guess they'll be an auxilliary for T'au. Which at this point probably makes their release less likely than being a standalone Xenos race.

But! This could have an implication for the eventual Battlefleet Gothic release...

Have you ever witnessed the majesty that is the Stronghold Class in Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2? It's an absolute monster.

Edit: actually, it could have been the first game. The two kind of blur together for me.

Edited by Toxichobbit

I thought it was Alan Merrett who hate vetoed squats (amongst many other things including Knights and Gene cults) though? Entirely possible ive gotten mixed up over the years ofc :)

According to an interview with Jervis Johnson back in the days of the 2nd edition, everyone involved in wh40k decided that squats were a bad idea and should not come back, so it's not just Alan or Jes.

EDIT: link http://www.40konline.com/index.php%3Ftopic%3D70533.0&ved=2ahUKEwiHif-khrLqAhVCwcQBHZAKCgEQFjADegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw0hsJX6BCiN-PtPa0x2oOe4

Edited by Grand Master Laertes