Squats retuning?

@Dracos I have heard something similar but about the lesser Chaos God Malal.

Squats were really wacky. I think it doesnt fit the grimdark setting as we know it very well.

On top of that the creative team has done awesome stuff for AoS reimagining things (in an IP protection friendly way). I would rather GW explore how the Cicatrix Maledictum or Imperium Nihlius has "changed" the setting and explore 40k in way that isn't purely looking at Rogue trader and 2nd edition for making things new.

I don't think squats have a place. Which I'm fine with, despite everything I just said I want Lost and the Damned back.

Edited by Raven1

I know it's been 25 years but I swear there was an Intellectual Property issue. Something about the "creator" of the Squat concept wasn't under Citadel property rights obligation and for some reason left or was let go, but when he did the rights to the Squats went with him.

I think you’re thinking of Malal. Squats have been mentioned on and off for years since their disappearance, and there’s a couple of explicitly Squat minis in Necromunda.

gallery_371_15969_22767.jpg

60 pennies a model!!

Ohhh "inflation"...

Different molding tech and generally better wages and benefits being factored in too.

A lot goes into working how much a product is "worth" and most of it is labor. With how GW sculpts now there is definitely a lot of labor involved. This isn't the days of Green stuff anymore.

Edited by Fulkes

60 pennies a model!!

Ohhh "inflation"...

It’s like seeing Eocene mammals: some are recognisable, but haven’t they evolved since!

So, two ways of seeing Squats back would be as auxiliaries for either Guard or T’au. “Dwarfs” tend to be heavy infantry, so would they offer hard-to-budge units that could take and hold forward objectives?

I hope not.

Make a new xeno faction instead.

This. Give us a real xenos faction, instead of just Space Dwarves.

Why not both? Demiurg are the inofficial Squat replacement anyway and for something that's supposed to be a multi-race empire the T'au Empire as faction doesn't include that many races for some reason. ;)

I think it was definitely a joke, one intended to elicit exactly this kind of discussion :)

If they were going to do a new race/faction I’d prefer something totally new and original, preferably Xenos. They seem to churn out new factions for AoS at a rate of knots so I don’t see why they wouldn’t do one for 40k. I’d just hope they managed to make it really unique, both in terms of visuals and how it played on the table.

Played against a guy some years ago that used a mechanized guard army. When he disembarked his troops they were squats, looked too cool. I think catching up on factions that have been in the lore for years should be before introducing some new zenos scum.

If they melded the squat and demiurg lore together I wouldn't be too disappointed - perhaps the demiurg are further down the evolutionary line from squats, who were spit out by the Cicatrix Maledictum or something? It's not like the lore for either squats or demiurg can't be retconned anyway...

Plus, that message looks to me like the transmitter is getting attacked by them

I think an important thing that GW knows is that Squats are a meme that people laugh at rather than an army they would actually want. Tbh i would not be surprised if they are keeping an eye on how many converted Kharadon armies pop up seeing as its straightforward to make some form of squat army now (especially in 30k), hell i considered it myself :D 

I think an important thing that GW knows is that Squats are a meme that people laugh at rather than an army they would actually want. Tbh i would not be surprised if they are keeping an eye on how many converted Kharadon armies pop up seeing as its straightforward to make some form of squat army now (especially in 30k), hell i considered it myself :D

I think that is an important difference about why GW say took on revamping Sisters of Battle and are letting Squats stay dead.

60 pennies a model!!

Ohhh "inflation"...

It’s like seeing Eocene mammals: some are recognisable, but haven’t they evolved since!

So, two ways of seeing Squats back would be as auxiliaries for either Guard or T’au. “Dwarfs” tend to be heavy infantry, so would they offer hard-to-budge units that could take and hold forward objectives?

Dem

I hope not.

Make a new xeno faction instead.

This. Give us a real xenos faction, instead of just Space Dwarves.

Why not both? Demiurg are the inofficial Squat replacement anyway and for something that's supposed to be a multi-race empire the T'au Empire as faction doesn't include that many races for some reason. :wink:

Demiurg are actually like, gigantic. Check out their concept art. They're not dwarves, they're more like smart ogres who know how to mine.

I really hope it’s Squats!

Same, I got into the hobby at the tail end of 1st and by that point you hardly saw Squats,  I have waited 29 years for this...  

Unless its for BFG then I dont care because I dont really have any interest in that. 

Wasn’t part of it that some in the studio didn’t like the biker gang visual? Thought I remembered reading that years ago but it might have been a hallucination brought in by smelly primer.

Squats were my main epic army but never did anything with them in 40k other than some unfinished concepts for 30k militia and an admech/dark mech steampunk alternative. The Kharadron overlords were a nice concept shift in fantasy land and give me a sliver of hope something nice could be done in 40k. Seems far more likely they’d introduce a new race/army with a vastly different visual style than revamp the stunty ones.

I really hope it’s Squats!

Same, I got into the hobby at the tail end of 1st and by that point you hardly saw Squats,  I have waited 29 years for this...  

Unless its for BFG then I dont care because I dont really have any interest in that. 

I knew 2 Squats players, playing with legacy rules in 2nd edition when I was a kid. Can I be honest?

I hope it's not them. I don't get why people keep pining for this terrible concept to come back. It wasn't good then, it's not good now. The setting has already added some more silly elements over the last few years, but I'd have actual trouble keeping myself interested if they reintroduced an army of space dwarves, which are comically space dwarves, back to 40k. We just don't need it. 40k's not a Fantasy parody anymore. Even how they turned Necrons into almost pure Space Tomb Kings for years was really unacceptable, even if they've not reverted them to slaves of the Star Gods, at least their new look appears to be more horror focused than "Space Egypt" focused.

So yea. I really, genuinely disliked the Squats when I was a kid. I dislike them now. I don't want to see their return to the tabletop, and I don't understand why people who will probably never collect them, just pine for them, because they feel like they were taken away.

They got taken away because no one played them, and because their core concept was silly, and bad.

If you bring them back and completely redo their concept, then they aren't squats anymore anyway, but even then they'll still carry the baggage of being a bunch of space dwarves. 

Terrible to some, not to all... I can't stand Primaris, I want nothing to do with them yet here we are...

GW said themselves they are all for diversity and whatnot in their games, I want an army of short fat bald bearded men who drink and swear a lot...

Hive Fleet Squat. It turns all bio-mass into alcohol to then drink it which is referred to by imperial scholars are "Bugman brew".

The Tyranids didn't consume the squats, they merged into one. They don't have Synapse anymore, its now the "Sobering Force" so that they can actually think straight in combat!

(sorry but while I do want me some space dwarfs, that thought just had me giggling when I thought about it)