Squats retuning?

I understand why some people do not want to see squats return - they usher back to the more ‘goofy’ era of 40k and don’t really offer much that other armies do not.

However, there is great potential to rework them and build off the existing lore (which is actually pretty good when you delve into it, baldemort does a great intro on YouTube) to find a niche for them. Super heavy airships, several classes of tunnellers and land trains would be something with no equivalent in the game currently.

I would 100% buy into this.

I understand why some people do not want to see squats return - they usher back to the more ‘goofy’ era of 40k and don’t really offer much that other armies do not.

However, there is great potential to rework them and build off the existing lore (which is actually pretty good when you delve into it, baldemort does a great intro on YouTube) to find a niche for them. Super heavy airships, several classes of tunnellers and land trains would be something with no equivalent in the game currently.

I would 100% buy into this.

But that could be done, if not done better, by a new Xenos army, rather than digging up the goofy old Biker in the corner, or trying to make an army of 4 ft dudes with beer bellies and beards seriously in the grim dark future of the 42nd millennium.

Edited by Lanparth

I'm all for it. GW has brought back other RT-era stuff recently, like Ambulls and Zoats, so I wouldn't be surprised if Squats are making a comeback as well. I could see them return as part of a game like Blackstone Fortress or a smaller Codex like Knights or the Inquisition.

Edited by Lay

I'm all for it. GW has brought back other RT-era stuff recently, like Ambulls and Zoats, so I wouldn't be surprised if Squats are making a comeback as well. I could see them return as part of a game like Blackstone Fortress or a smaller Codex like Knights or the Inquisition.

If on the level of BSF, they already brought them back. There are two models for Necromunda.

I like the squats. I remember them fondly from Rogue Trader, where they worked nicely as another neutral region; as likely to fight with as against the Imperium.

Wasn’t a fan of the biker stuff, but objecting to the whole faction because of that is like rejecting Space Marines because you don’t like Space Wolves.

I’d love to see them come back as a ‘guard-adjacent’ army, a bit like the Stormtrooper codex. A couple of kits – maybe infantry and Hearthguard – and access to Rhinos and Land Raiders would make them a fun addition to Imperial armies. Doubtless people would field standalone armies of them, too.

The mechanics and design philosophy of the game have opened up again, and I think it’d be cool to see them return. If the limited release I suggest above is successful, it’d be cool to see it expanded.

With that said, I do see why people didn’t like them. The theme was messy and all over the place, and lots of their ‘shtick’ got pinched – Norse imagery by Sace Wolves, bikers by Orks, heavy weaponry by guard... so if they do return, I hope it’s with a rethought core concept.

I never played (or saw) the Squats myself, but the word in our Uni group from those who'd come from areas that did was their issue was there was the 'hi quality giant warmachine' squats from Epic, and the 'stupid drunk biker' squats from 40k. With how 40k has grown in scale since 1st/2nd ed, I wonder if there is space for Squats to be a force with a low number of super heavy war machines (somewhere between baneblades and knights) with the more professional infantry from the spic style rather than the drunken marauders from 40k. A bit like a force of stormtroopers and guard superheavies I guess.

Edited by Cleon

I'm all for the return of Squats. Either as human subspecies or as Demiurg. Both would be fine. Of course they wouldn't be exactly the same as back then because that was a little fleshed out concept from a way different time, but the concept of space dwarfs is not a bad one in general. And to all who hate it because it's space dwarfs ... what are you doing here anyway? We already have space elves, space dark elves, space knights, space nuns, space orks, space undead and literal space demons. If you just assume it would be dwarfs given a gun and then call it a day, I can assure you that this is not what modern GW would do.

Edited by Panzer

No squats please. Xenos races don't get enough love as it is. We don't need anymore returns/reboots or new races till everything is all plastic for everybody else. Then a new xenos race or two would be cool as :censored: but not squats.

Nobody asked for taller marines with extra rules,  before they were dropped on us.... 

If you dont like Squats, dont buy them, same as I dont buy primaris... 

Saying 'we dont need' is YOUR opinion, not that of everybody, and clearly people want them so we do need them. Sooner buy squats than anything marine related. 

No squats please. Xenos races don't get enough love as it is. We don't need anymore returns/reboots or new races till everything is all plastic for everybody else. Then a new xenos race or two would be cool as :censored: but not squats.

Nobody asked for taller marines with extra rules, before they were dropped on us....

If you dont like Squats, dont buy them, same as I dont buy primaris...

Saying 'we dont need' is YOUR opinion, not that of everybody, and clearly people want them so we do need them. Sooner buy squats than anything marine related.

Some people want them sure, but how many of them are just influenced by the memes and its more of an inside joke unlike sisters. How many people want updates for their factions replacing metal or resin models? Surely their current armies are more deserving of regular updates than being pushed back yet again by a new army.

If its between getting plastic kommandoes, new guard range, plastic aspect warriors, plastic hqs or bringing back an army that didn't do well its got to be the updates for me.

My we don't need is my opinion but it is one that will be held by others.

We have had deathwatch, primaris, custodes, knights, mechanicus, genestealer cults, death guard, 1ksons and a token SoS addition to the game in the last 2/3 editions. 1 xenos and the rest imperials, after all those army releases and only splash releases of a few models for the older factions. I dont thinksbits unreasonable to say we don't need another faction until after the updates are done.

Then if its squats fine so be it, not what I'd want but after everyone's updates they can bring as many factions as they want as long as everybody gets their rotation of updates after.

Just as a quick thought there’s plenty for them still to draw upon in existing lore to bring out new armies/books:

Imperial:

Arbites

Squats

Imperial guard regiments (models)

Xenos:

Eldar exodites

Eldar corsairs

Hrud

Slab

Chaos:

Non aligned daemons

World eaters

Emperors children

Latd

To name but a few. That’s 5 years worth of new armies already, several of which I’m certain will be on the cards.

Just as a quick thought there’s plenty for them still to draw upon in existing lore to bring out new armies/books:

Imperial:

Arbites

Squats

Imperial guard regiments (models)

Xenos:

Eldar exodites

Eldar corsairs

Hrud

Slab

Chaos:

Non aligned daemons

World eaters

Emperors children

Latd

To name but a few. That’s 5 years worth of new armies already, several of which I’m certain will be on the cards.

There are so many more you could add to Xenos as well. Kroot, Vespid, other T'au auxilliary race 1-5. GW definitely won't be running out of material any time soon. :sweat:

I think the Squats are better serviced being returned in small numbers, such as the models released for Necromunda. I like the aesthetic the Necromunda Squats have, but I’m just not sure how unique a full army could be made. There’s the risk of overlapping Imperial Guard and Orks if they kept the two most commonly remembered elements, heavy vehicles and bikes. And if they completely change the aesthetic and feel of the faction, is it really Squats anymore?

i could see them as several units and light support such as:

unit of miners heavy armour and mineing lasers alla steelers wepon

the goliath truck

units of militia  flak armour bolters(not modern bolters (classic))

trike wepon teams 

servitors cos why not

return of the hearth guard

and finaly a land train kit with diferant wepon parts for the back ie aa guns mortar transport pod etc

as for heros how about mining master security officer,and the ancient as some kind of spec effect guy not psycic but maybe 2grudges"

just a few thoughts

Edited by clanfield

I am all for Squats to return.   However I do believe they need to be given more freedom in the factions they can be field with.   Some clans still feel a certain loyalty towards the Imperium, while others believe that Imperium abandoned them to the Tyranids.   

As far as aesthetic goes, they don't necessary have to look like middle aged bearded biker dudes.   GW has a great opportunity to redesign them from the ground up.  They could sport a high tech + utilitarian look that has been heavily militarized to reflect their background of having to survive in harsh environment and defend against hostile native species or off world invaders.  Militias with HEV suits and Troopers with Exo Armor.  Armored ATVs .   Heavy Walkers.  Grav weapons / mines etc..

Terrible to some, not to all... I can't stand Primaris, I want nothing to do with them yet here we are...

GW said themselves they are all for diversity and whatnot in their games, I want an army of short fat bald bearded men who drink and swear a lot...

Play Space Wolves. :P

Easy there son, murder is illegal! :D

We don’t need another half baked Custodes codex.

That's the truth. Out of new faction releases TS, Death Guard, Custodes, GSC, SoB, and Harlequins only GSC and SoB have a worthwhile codex where you can take as a single faction and win a large Tournament. The others basically have their best units cherry picked out and put in with other factions.

If GW made a new Squats codex I think it's more likely it will be disappointing as opposed to good. Then all the Eldar players will complain as most of their range is from 1992 or something ridiculous.

What do I care whether a faction is competetive or not when it comes to the question of it existing in the first place? Not everyone plays competetively. If there's only value in competetive factions then you can squat (heh) most of the 40k stuff that exists today. I want Squats because I want Squats, not because I want to win tournaments. I want EC with their own model range because I want EC with their own model range, not because I want to in tournaments. I want a whole Kroot army because I want a whole Kroot army, not because I want to win tournaments. If I wanted to win tournaments I'd build whatever is the current top tier list.