Returning to 40k and Space Wolves

Shi An De

Evening all.

So I’ve not played since v3.5 many, many years ago. Clearing out the garage I came across my old collection of SW and I feel like dusting them off. I know that 9th Ed is about to land and I also think that Codex SW is a couple of years old. My question is: is it worth getting the current version of the codex? I’m looking at the enhanced iBook version, so will that be up to date with the current errata, etc and will it be updated with the new Chapter Approved rules, points changes, etc?

Thanks,

It's a bit of a book bloat now. To get all space wolves rules you need

- the codex with FAQ and errata

- vigilus defiant + FAQ and errata

- saga of the beast

- chapter approved 2019

Saga of the beast will work with 9th but the codex will be rereleased together with a new chapter approved. I'd hold off until the rerelease for now and borrow what you need.

Borrow if you can. Now is a weird time to jump back in.

The codex and saga of the beast are the only 2 required books (with relevant FAQS), as long as you can use Battlescribe or similar for updated points. Or borrow a buddies Chapther approved 2019 and copy in the points as that's all you really need from that book. Vigilus has rules for us but they are a bit fringe and are not really required. Also note that on the GW site is a free packet of the primaris datasheet not included in our codex.

Yes, you'll need the current version of the codex.  It'll be updated eventually, but we have no idea when, so you might as well go ahead and get it, so you have what you need to play.  Even the enhanced versions aren't updated with current errata and and points, so you'll have to download the Errata and FAQ documents from the Warhammer Community webpage.  When 9th edition drops in a couple of weeks, they'll have new points for everything in the new Rules, and they'll be publishing updated Errata/FAQ documents, too, so you don't really need to worry about the current/8th edition versions of those.  Finally, you'll also want to get the Psychic Awakening: Saga of the Beast book - it's basically a Codex Supplement for Space Wolves and the Orks combined into one.  It has new units, warlord traits, stratagems, relics, etc., so you definitely need it to have all of the best/updated stuff that we have access to.

Thanks all. I decided to buy the codex and saga of the beast. I’ve also downloaded BattleScribe and the core rules, but there’s obviously a lot else in the rule book that I need to understand, eg about the different types of detachments, battle forged armies, etc. I have to say that with the various Primaris units I don’t see much use for normal ,Raines anymore, especially Grey Hunters, which is a shame. Also my old squads aren’t even close to game legal now (too many power weapons and power fists, which was all legal in 2nd ed) so I’ll be reading some tactica and trying to work out what I want/need for a current army.

Thanks again.

Thanks all. I decided to buy the codex and saga of the beast. I’ve also downloaded BattleScribe and the core rules, but there’s obviously a lot else in the rule book that I need to understand, eg about the different types of detachments, battle forged armies, etc. I have to say that with the various Primaris units I don’t see much use for normal ,Raines anymore, especially Grey Hunters, which is a shame. Also my old squads aren’t even close to game legal now (too many power weapons and power fists, which was all legal in 2nd ed) so I’ll be reading some tactica and trying to work out what I want/need for a current army.

Thanks again.

Shi An De, you may want to check out this Buying Guide that I've put together for new (or returning) players.  I've recently updated it, based on what we've learned in the past week or so about upcoming new units.  It'll give you a good place to start for putting together a new Space Wolves army.

You don't really need to worry much about the different types of Detachments, outside of the fact that 9 times out of 10, we're all mostly going to be fielding a single Battalion Detachment, which is very much like the old Force Organization Charts that we used to be allocated to build armies with in previous editions.  

In a Battalion, you get a minimum 2, but up to 3 Headquarters choices, so you just pick units with the HQ symbol (the Skull) in the upper left-hand corner of the data sheet.  You have to fill a minimum of 3 Troops, but up to no more than 6 Troops choices, so you just look for units with the canted Triangle in the upper left-hand corner; if you're building from scratch (perhaps using that linked buying guide above), then you'll just want a couple minimum sized Intercessor and Assault Intercessor packs to fill your Troops requirements.

You can have up to 6 Elite choices (with no minimum), so here is where you're going to select units with the Elite symbol (the Cross with a Skull in the middle), like the new Judiciar model, Murderfang, Wulfen, a Redemptor Dreadnought, and/or Invictor Tactical Warsuits.

You can have up to 3 Heavy Support choices (the Blast looking icon), so here's where you'll put either Eradicator or Eliminator packs, or a Repulsor Executioner.

You can have up to 3 Fast Attack choices (the Lightning Bolt) and here you'll just want a unit of Outriders, for now.

Being Battleforged basically just means that you used a Detachment to create your army, and every unit is from the same Faction (Space Wolves).  When you do this, then you get the benefit of certain faction special rules, as well as a free extra Command Point that you get in your Command Phase.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions.

V

Welcome back. If you are starting out completely from scratch I would advice you to start out slow when it comes buying stuff. Maybe a troop choice or two as a start, troops will always be needed. To much from the beginning can get overwhelming, if you are low on bits, I would advice you to get an upgrade sprue or even a grey hunter box, just for bits to wolf up your minis. I have found that the old shoulder pads works on the never kits. 

Getting a full army at once, is for many not a good idea, if you feel that you are a slow painter and feel it can be daunting. If you have a friend whom you can lure into the hobby, you can give him/her a friendly advice to start necrons, and when the new rules drop, share the big box.  :)

Good luck, and may the dice be on your side.

Shi An De, you may want to check out this Buying Guide that I've put together for new (or returning) players. […]

Wohoow … now that's a sad little text to read. There are only 3 (more or less) recommended Units (Wulfen, Bjorn and Ragnar), that are unique to the Space Wolves. I mean … it's not a supirse as we are having Primaris for 3 years now, but it still is sad to see. Thanks for the effort of putting this together anways! It's good to know, what's the state of the game.

Shi An De, you may want to check out this Buying Guide that I've put together for new (or returning) players. […]

Wohoow … now that's a sad little text to read. There are only 3 (more or less) recommended Units (Wulfen, Bjorn and Ragnar), that are unique to the Space Wolves. I mean … it's not a supirse as we are having Primaris for 3 years now, but it still is sad to see. Thanks for the effort of putting this together anways! It's good to know, what's the state of the game.

The real trick is that advising people to buy Firstborn units seems a bit deft now and really ragnar, wulfen, and bjorn are units reasonably guaranteed to stick around due to kit age and primaris direction. No sense telling new folks to buy a load of blood claws only to see the phase out soon.

The real trick is that advising people to buy Firstborn units seems a bit deft now and really ragnar, wulfen, and bjorn are units reasonably guaranteed to stick around due to kit age and primaris direction. No sense telling new folks to buy a load of blood claws only to see the phase out soon.

Assuming firstborn are phased out in a future edition, hopefully they will amend the Primaris squads to Wolf them up a bit, eg different assault/melee options and allowing a WGPL. Fluff wise by that time Primaris will have been around long enough to warrant some of them becoming WG.

Oh, yes, yes, I do see the necessity of the text, and the necessity to advice new and returning player to get into primaris. It's totally the right thing to do after all that happend in the last 3 years. But it's sad to see nevertheless. From one of the most distinct armies to merely vanilla marines in such short time.

I'm sure GW will but built up the Space Wolves range again, and the new indomitus Box is good hint to that, (as they are moving from "plain" marines, to "marines with a theme" again, and of course starting with a theme that fit's major chapters like Blood Angels, Dark Angels and Black Templars. But for now, I'll just moan a bit about the loss (and the pile of unbuilt Firstborn Marines in my basement, hehe) … :happy.:

Oh, yes, yes, I do see the necessity of the text, and the necessity to advice new and returning player to get into primaris. It's totally the right thing to do after all that happend in the last 3 years. But it's sad to see nevertheless. From one of the most distinct armies to merely vanilla marines in such short time.

I'm sure GW will but built up the Space Wolves range again, and the new indomitus Box is good hint to that, (as they are moving from "plain" marines, to "marines with a theme" again, and of course starting with a theme that fit's major chapters like Blood Angels, Dark Angels and Black Templars. But for now, I'll just moan a bit about the loss (and the pile of unbuilt Firstborn Marines in my basement, hehe) … :happy.:

It is certainly sad. I have ALOT of Firstborn marines (a great company worth). So I've started my primaris as a new great company to account for some serious aesthetic differences.

I'm kinda sad we never got SW upgrade kits to include primaris chest piece fronts. Would have preferred those to getting shoulder pads, honestly.

yeah if people need shoulder pads there are plenty of options. torso plates and greeve plates would have gone a lot further.

Assuming firstborn are phased out in a future edition, hopefully they will amend the Primaris squads to Wolf them up a bit, eg different assault/melee options and allowing a WGPL. Fluff wise by that time Primaris will have been around long enough to warrant some of them becoming WG.

I would turn it around. I don't expect Firstborn to be phased out until more characterful options have been introduced for Wolves, Blood Angels and Dark Angels.

I'm kinda sad we never got SW upgrade kits to include primaris chest piece fronts. Would have preferred those to getting shoulder pads, honestly.

The problem with upgrade kits that are separate from unit kits for Primaris is that it's going to be practically impossible to do the torso or legs as part of an upgrade kit - even the flowing robes/tabards/capes are going to be out - reason for this is the very specific way the Primaris torsos and legs line up. GW/FW is very unlikely to produce an upgrade kit that you have to use body part 32 from the Intercessor kit only to make a model with, or only a single Hellblaster, or only one Aggressor, etc. It would cause customer frustration and likely invite strong backlash with the "obvious cash grab - have to buy X kit to even use this thing" or "Sorry Johnny, but let's teach you how to convert and sculpt with Green Stuff, oh, and you're going to need to now shave down part of that piece you just spent $25 to get." That doesn't just apply to Primaris, mind, others new kits have gone this route (Sisters of Battle, Chaos Marines, to some extent Howling Banshees, etc.). Remember, GW wants to promote ease (Edit - really just direct usability) out of the (any) box, they may still show some kit bashing and conversion work in WD, but for the basic kits, they want them playable out of the box without having to mix or cut (portions of) things (apart), sculpt, or do anything other than just snip, clean, and glue. The more dynamic movement you build into model poses, the more locked together for assembly the pieces for that model are going to be.

For better or worse, I think we're only going to get full new bodies for most armies going forward in army specific unit kits, whether that's from FW or GW.

AFAIK, sprue dies aren't that cheap to make, and GW wants to get as much mileage out of them as possible. I would be very surprised if GW at this point decides to produce chapter-specific primaris models for the non-character units. If they wanted to sell specific versions, they should have been introduced at the same time as the generic models were. Maybe I'd odd, but I wouldn't ever buy a chapter-specific unit that I've already bought the generic version of and customized.

Any Chapter-specific stuff is likely to be Chapter-specific units, not a Chapter-ized version of something they already sell. That was my point.

So you aren't going to get "SW Intercessors" as a box (beyond the Chapter oriented ones that were sold with the Chapter specific upgrades), but we might get "SW Frost Reavers" that might resemble some kind of Tacticus armored Reiver with ice grenades and toothed frost axes (a crappy example, but I think my point is made). Something like that, they may even be a small number unit and accompany a SW Primaris special character similar to Calgar and his Victrix Guard. It will have its own data sheets, etc. Something like that isn't likely to come out until GW has all of their generic Primaris released to get their maximized profit off those.

And yes, you might be odd, there are plenty of people on the B&C that buy a "Chapter-specific" version of a unit even if they've converted and painted a similar unit already (sometimes multiple times, and will convert the extras as well). They also buy Chapter-specific versions of other Chapters' units to convert them into their chosen Chapter's unit or a styled version of the unit.

But if you think they won't waste the cut die to cast Chapter specific units, then you certainly shouldn't think they are going to cut a die to cast bits for an upgrade sprue that you can only use on a single Primaris model out of 20-25 unique Tacticus bodies they have cast so far without conversion work (or whatever the count is for the armor type you are imagining them producing). That would be even more foolish of them to do and go against how they are apparently wanting to sell models right now.

• 2 months later...
I've seen various posts about a grand tournament this year and playing pods. Was that a real, honest to goodness fact to face tournament, or was it done on a virtual board? Linked to that, is there a way of playing 40k on a virtual board? With the pandemic I don't know when I'll get to play otherwise.

I've seen various posts about a grand tournament this year and playing pods. Was that a real, honest to goodness fact to face tournament, or was it done on a virtual board? Linked to that, is there a way of playing 40k on a virtual board? With the pandemic I don't know when I'll get to play otherwise.

Need to buy Tabletop Simulator on steam

Then join 2 discord channels for help and info

The learning curve is steep at first but there are YouTube videos to show you what is needed

https://www.tts40k.com/