9th Edition and you! What are you thinking about changing?

Raven1

"CHAOS SPACE MARINES UNITS IN DEATH GUARD AND THOUSAND SONS ARMIES units (excluding Chaos Hellwrights) in this document can be fielded in Death Guard and Thousand Sons armies even though you cannot normally replace the keyword with either Death Guard or Thousand Sons."

The FAQ is for the Legends units specifically. Until we receive a FAQ for the compendium itself, <Legion> units in the Compendium itself are limited to Codex: CSM only, right? That's the problem in my understanding.

Edited by Archaeinox

They (GW) have apparently changed the wording. I downloaded the FW-legends document to my phone on the day of realease and on page 71 it says ".....you can chose any "LEGION" "TZEENTCH" unit from the imperial armour compendium or this document to be from the thousand sons legion.

And today, when I did download the FW-legends document to my laptop, they have changed it to "from this document".

That´s where the confusion is comming from. Many people did DL upon release and then the document got "stealth editet" to remove that very clausule that enabled FW 1KS units.

• 2 weeks later...

So I was recently running 2x Decimators and a Contemptor in my 2k list. I suddenly find myself lacking a lot of firepower, I have a few Hellbrutes who can stand in on a temporary basis but anyone else having any luck running any alternatives?

I had dropped Decimators and Contemptors for Lord of Change and lots of Horrors. While I missed the anti-tank, I was able to more easily maintain control over objectives so I was happy with that change.

The 4++ pinks are great and splitting into blues is wonderful for Morale in 9th. The Impossible Robe Exalted LoC is nuts.

Edited by Archaeinox

Yea he just doesn't die. It makes you wonder if that will get nerfed, I mean there's literally no point in targeting the LoC. It's great for board control for sure. I've seen some nasty combo's with him.

I wish I hadn't sold my Tzeentch daemons part of the army. While I'd love to have Pinks in there, I really don't want to paint all that up again. lol

now that is an epic model indeed. Just not sure that it's worth splashing out at the moment. I have too many armies and my BA getting some attention this weekend so budget is blown lol.

At the moment due to lockdown, I can't get any games but since 9th came out I have only played against Marines, Deathguard and Drukhari.  I may just need to park the sons for a little bit, but going to hope they come back with a bang!

• 2 weeks later...

All the changes for death guard. Makes me both nervous and excited for our turn. It seems like they are getting quite the overhaul. I wonder if all is dust will change for us. It would be a huge twist of irony if we received the 5+ FnP. Not saying we will, because so far historically speaking DG have received more attention in models and rules than us. But hey...who knows! We have no clue when it will be our turn in the codex lineup, here is hoping that there has been enough time to work on some new goodies. If no new models I wonder what sort of sweeping changes we may get. Seems likely. Time to breath some fresh life into this army. 

Edited by Ahzek451

Change is definitely coming, this much intent is clear - but change is kind of the Thousand Son's thing right? :tongue.: The question is as ever what this could be. The assumptions I've seen seem to have merit in helping to reduce rolls as well as a shift to accommodate W2 but we'll never know for sure. All is Dust doesn't add dice rolls but I'm not sure that is a major factor, but I think something is likely to change due to the increase in wounds?

A lot of armies need a re-jig and so far it seems GW agrees, but the dread hand of GW is as fickle as Tzeentch himself so we'll need to wait and see as usual. I don't think we can expect C:TS any time soon though, but perhaps we can get a better idea of where things are going when a few more codices come out?

Yea he just doesn't die. It makes you wonder if that will get nerfed, I mean there's literally no point in targeting the LoC. It's great for board control for sure. I've seen some nasty combo's with him.

As more of a casual player (not Monster Mash Exalted Greater Daemon type lists) I have a big problem with that because I don't think a single LoC is oppressive. Unfortunately, GW will knee-jerk reaction it to death probably depending on how far out the Daemons book is. A huge nerf wouldn't really affect me in narrative or casual pickups but it could affect me attending events which I have done when there is no table space... I hate when the tournament scene dictates what happens as a result of abuse.

I wish I hadn't sold my Tzeentch daemons part of the army. While I'd love to have Pinks in there, I really don't want to paint all that up again. lol

Yeah I managed to move all my Tzeentch daemons alongside the TS as a package deal. In the interim between now and our codex, I've picked up the Aliens: Another Glorious Day in the Corps and all expansions, a PACK 720 Magna Rack Sliders case, and all the paints I was lacking. Plus, lots of money leftover from the sale for bills and whatnot. Just finished MA (history) and did commencement on Saturday! Instead of having 6000pts of painted Tzeentch and TS I'll go for a more appropriate 2000pt list when I see the codex and more precisely plan my purchases from there. I "want" to have demons but again it depends on the distance between TS and Daemon codexes. I also want to wait until I see if we get new TS specific units because points and whatnot will influence my purchases, to say nothing of the points cost of Rubrics and Scarabs with more attacks and wounds...

It'll suck to rebuild but I'd like to spend all the time on Rubrics as I did characters- gems and such. Can whip up a sorcerer in a very short period. That's the plan anyway

After seeing Death Guard stuff lately I'm super excited for us... but now that Deathguard have a solid damage mitigation mechanic still, and picked up a Slow and Purposeful feel, does this mean we could be the ones to get the 5+ feel no pain rolls for All is Dust units......?

If a shift like that was to happen, now's the time. I mean they just changed Plague Marines' core ability that they have been known for since... September 2007 codex.

Edited by Archaeinox

• 5 weeks later...
Watching more from the death guard leaks makes me more enthused for our book. Morty doesn't need a wound cap rule with that stack of special defensive rules. I wonder how magnus will be treated along with any other unique rules. I have a feeling all is dust will change.

looking at how the rule changes are going at the moment I don't see a big change for All is Dust as it works pretty much like the new DR, maybe we always have -1AP? instead of ignoring AP1? The wound update will help us a lot but I think there are other areas for us that need boosting.

Exalted always felt shy of a Lord equivalent so a limit of one would be ok with me if it came with some improvement (a 4++ would be nice). That said, I'd probably not consider taking more than one anyway (or Daemon Princes). It's hard to say what may apply as Sons have been given different treatment enough over the years, but without the same amount of support and units it'll be hard to justify too many restrictions.

We literally cannot have the Exalted Sorceror be subject to that rule. If we don't get more HQ models, I imagine they'll break up the Exalted box into a series of datasheets.

It is pretty apparent that we are going to get the 'boosted' version of psychic powers like DG get.

Edited by Umbros

We literally cannot have the Exalted Sorceror be subject to that rule. If we don't get more HQ models, I imagine they'll break up the Exalted box into a series of datasheets.

It is pretty apparent that we are going to get the 'boosted' version of psychic powers like DG get.

If I remember correctly, can't thousand sons take a regular sorcerer?

They can but that is the equivalent of the Death Guard sorceror, who was disappeared.

They can but that is the equivalent of the Death Guard sorceror, who was disappeared.

Not the Sorcerer in Terminator armor. But I'll be honest, I don't see Thousand Sons having the regular sorcerer removed. I could be wrong though.

It would be pretty cool though if they gave Thousand Sons a rule allowing them to take a covenant of sorcerers.