9th Edition and you! What are you thinking about changing?

Raven1

I'm suspecting it will be 1 of each HQ type per detachment (maybe multiple regular sorcerers). I can see exalted moving to "elite", but not wishing for it. It really depends on what the vision is for this faction. It seems very character-centric right now.

Edited by The Blood Raven

I'm suspecting it will be 1 of each HQ type per detachment (maybe multiple regular sorcerers). I can see exalted moving to "elite", but not wishing for it. It really depends on what the vision is for this faction. It seems very character-centric right now.

Exalted Sorcerers are our "Chaos Lord" equivs, they won't become elites. 

Thing is: we have a total of 4 generic HQs, and 2 of them will be "1 of each" despite us getting a 3 man box set of 3 exalted sorcerers?  

Limiting exalted to 1 per detachment has 2 mahor issues

We practically have 2 HQs anyway, sorcerers, and princes. the rest are variants.

And TBH, princes are upgraded exalteds.

The bigger problem, it will make the exalted kit unsellable.

They could decide to retire that kit for clamshell character or HQ units. Again, not saying that is the way I want to see it shake out, but rather that I don't think GW has any idea what to do with this faction. I'm not expecting anything major until an army wide redesign ala Death Guard or Necrons comes along.

Also not understanding how moving exalted to elite makes the kit unsellable. I'd think it would be opposite since they tend to compete only with Scarab Occult when I played them.

At least we don't have finecase units.

It will be interesting to see what they do with any restrictions for us. If we follow the HQ restrictions that other codex are receiving then maybe a new HQ option is on the horizon?

Or just one Exalted sorcerer per detachment and the rest are just sorcerers?

How would an exalted as an elite make ANY sense mate?

They are the grade ABOVE sorcerers.

It would be like SM having captains as elites and liutenets as the default HQ.

To sell kit as you claim would happen if anything status quo changes. It seems you won't accept my premise that GW could do anything with the existing exalted sorcerer kit or data sheet, so I'm going back to lurk mode.

It is an odd box for HQ choices, honestly when the rumor images were first popping up for them early on I thought it was going to be an elite choice, pick a unit of 1-3 and they can act independently once deployed. At the end of the day GW can shift around what they want, I think it's unlikely exalted will shift anywhere else, but seeing as the army is still fairly new as an independent codex, anything is prone to change. 

With how limited the Sons range is I'm not sure if we can expect any significant change, at least until additions are made, but you never know especially with GW's willingness to switch things up lately. DG are more independent/unique so if the CSM codex is released first perhaps we might get a better idea what is in store for Sons?

I'm trying to think of how things will work with what we know in the extra wound. This would help with staying power, but much depends on how All is Dust works and this doesn't help the issue Sons have with expensive units which will no doubt get more expensive. Given limitations on damage output - especially anti-armour - Sons might end up in much the same place as before :confused: Maybe some room can be made with expanding psychic capabilities but short of some passive bonuses I'm not sure what can be done here.

I can see them turning them into an elite unit.

Court Sorcerers. Max 1 per detachment, contains 3 models, after deployment are treated as separate, have the character keyword. Get plus one to cast for each other court sorcerers within 9”. Stats wise slightly less than current HQ version, do not have captain aura.

So we would have prince/exalted as captain equivalent HQ and then any number of normal sorcerers.

Maybe move the Tzaangor shaman to HQ for another choice.  

I've got my glum hat on today:

I really really want: psychic dreadnoughts, a new Rubric box with different weapon options, expanded Exalted Sorceror abilities/synergies with their units.

What we'll get: a piece of weird scenery that buffs psychic casting but doesn't work well with the gameplay, All Is Dust reducing damage by 1.

What we'll get: a piece of weird scenery that buffs psychic casting but doesn't work well with the gameplay, 

Hehe, we already have that! I've got the piece primed and used it in a total of 1 game.

Edited by Prot

A new rubric box wont happen. The current one is only what, 4 years old? 

Maybe a 'Sekhmet' box with 3 TDA sorcerers that form a unit, like deathshroud. Rubric havocs would be fluffy and needed. 

I agree we'll see faction specific terrain. Probably a Silver Tower Shard that will let unit deploy from/teleport to it. 

A new rubric box wont happen. The current one is only what, 4 years old? 

Maybe a 'Sekhmet' box with 3 TDA sorcerers that form a unit, like deathshroud. Rubric havocs would be fluffy and needed. 

I agree we'll see faction specific terrain. Probably a Silver Tower Shard that will let unit deploy from/teleport to it. 

I would love a Deathshroud equivalent. We already have a terrain piece, however...

We need more options and I want ya'll to get whatever is on your wishlist but I cannot understand, for the life of me, why some of ya'll are interested in Rubricae getting melee options. What a terrible combat unit.

I want GW to focus on making casters better. If they make that terrifying, it would be true to the fiction. Sure, more options in general is nice, as well..

What if, and hear me out, All is Dust units provide bodyguard rule to characters. lol. Fluffy. Simple.

Edited by Archaeinox

I would just like to spam spell casters without eating up a ton of CP. TSons bread and butter is magic. Smite is their anti-armor but with the death of supreme commands we cant do that. Mortal wounds are the best anti-armor source and TSons wont be getting stuff like havocs or vehicles/daemon engines that are any good.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'll be playing against the Thousand Sons tonight with my Blood Angels in a small 1000pt game, I'll report back on how it went. Worried the list might be too strong for the TS. 

Looking forward to the perspective from the other side of the table!

I think I'll be playing against the Thousand Sons tonight with my Blood Angels in a small 1000pt game, I'll report back on how it went. Worried the list might be too strong for the TS. 

Honestly, right now even a suboptimised codex marine list of any sort is overwhelming to our poor TS unless cheesed to hell-and even then its not a fair fight.

Our codex is broken at the core :\

Playing for the other side? Get him everyone - attach the dreadsock to the top of your force staves for extra damage (physics is a form of magic if you think about it) :tongue.:

Every side is your side when you're Tzeentch!

I wrote up a quick battle report in my BA blog here.

Needless to say it didn't go well for the TS, with a mix of new model syndrome, inexperience with the army, and swingy luck seeing his troops die fast and his HQ's be near invulnerable (Ahriman passed 14 out of 15 4++ saves he was required to make in my turn 3, the daemon prince did the same in combat t2)

The list: 

1000pt Thousand Sons

Ahriman: Warlord, firestorm, smite, doombolt, healy cult of time power

Daemon prince: Sword, talon, wings, diabolic strength, hourglass of Manat

5 Rubrics: soulreaper, glamour

5 Rubrics: Soulreaper, glamour

10 Tzaangor: Brayhorn

5 Scarab Occult: Soulreaper, Hellfyre, Glamour

Hellbrute: Multimelta, Scourge

The scarabs I neutralised early by slinging the death company into them. After the game I suggested the [duplicity?] teleport out of CC spell, which would stop them being tied down then they could have infernal fusiladed the hell out of some of my units, or the time spell to bring models back, where they would have outlasted the DC, but my friend is working his way through the cults to see how each plays, so he'll get there in time.

I think the other mistake may have been 2 big HQ's in such a small game. I also took 2, but mine totalled 260pts total with high damage output, this was probably 1/3 of the army that could have been used to bolster the tzaangors or threaten my objectives. Hourglass of Manat was a nice trick, but needs to be supported by Temporal Manipulation to get back to full wounds asap. 

Thousand Sons really need the update. 1W each has rubrics too vulnerable in the current meta, poor dice notwithstanding. 

Maybe I need to break out my Sons and see what they can do.