9th Edition Battle Report: Grey Knights vs Thousand Sons

Icosiel

Beautifully written sir, seems like you had a lot of bad luck though. 

While I'm no expert, what I would have done is actually what you done in reverse - have a lot of units on the battlefield, and the NDK in deep-strike to face Magnus. Use the Land Raider as a way to transport the Paladins to Ahriman/the mauler-fiend and engage that blob in your third picture. It's unorthodox for sure, but hear me out..

Here is my reasoning for this - if you had all your units on the battle-field (with the exception of the NDK), there were many more guys that could deny the psychic phase of the TS (their main damage phase). The NDK facing magnus is pretty self-explanatory, use one big unit to face another big unit. While I think Magnus would probably win in the end, you could very easily knock him down a few brackets and use the Land Raider to finish him off with the paladins. (Also with 9th you have a 1CP strategem that lets you auto-pass vehicle destruction tests, called emergency disembark or something like that). That also creates two threats on the board, either the Land Raider with the paladins inside, or a beatstick attacking their main beatstick. Nothing to add with the strike-squads though, they should be scoring points.

But overall, well written - the only thing I could add to improve your reports is a list of what you used in a spoiler on your website or something like that. 

We are the Hammer, brother! 

Beautifully written sir, seems like you had a lot of bad luck though. 

While I'm no expert, what I would have done is actually what you done in reverse - have a lot of units on the battlefield, and the NDK in deep-strike to face Magnus. Use the Land Raider as a way to transport the Paladins to Ahriman/the mauler-fiend and engage that blob in your third picture. It's unorthodox for sure, but hear me out..

Here is my reasoning for this - if you had all your units on the battle-field (with the exception of the NDK), there were many more guys that could deny the psychic phase of the TS (their main damage phase). The NDK facing magnus is pretty self-explanatory, use one big unit to face another big unit. While I think Magnus would probably win in the end, you could very easily knock him down a few brackets and use the Land Raider to finish him off with the paladins. (Also with 9th you have a 1CP strategem that lets you auto-pass vehicle destruction tests, called emergency disembark or something like that). That also creates two threats on the board, either the Land Raider with the paladins inside, or a beatstick attacking their main beatstick. Nothing to add with the strike-squads though, they should be scoring points.

But overall, well written - the only thing I could add to improve your reports is a list of what you used in a spoiler on your website or something like that. 

We are the Hammer, brother! 

That is a great idea! Having more psykers on the board turn one would have definitely mitigated the amount of powering up the Thousand Sons did. By the time I got to a point to engage him, Magnus had all sorts of buffs on him that made him stupidly difficult to kill.