Blood Ravens - any word on CT in 9th?

Oh boy, get ready for my rant.

The white dwarf is the definition of a cash grab when it comes to the blood raven stuff. Everything that was given was rendered irrelevant either in about two weeks after its release due to the new codex, or a few months due to faith and fury.

The current faq tells you to disregard the white dwarf chapter tactics bit and just use the rules for successor tactics. This killed off (the admittedly super broken) method of using one chapter's tactics while being successors of a different. Their unique tactic is also just two different successor tactics, available to all.

Their unique relic is in the marine codex, available to all.

Their unique stratagem is in faith and fury, available to all.

Angelos was the only piece of content that stayed relevant.

Oh boy, get ready for my rant.

The white dwarf is the definition of a cash grab when it comes to the blood raven stuff. Everything that was given was rendered irrelevant either in about two weeks after its release due to the new codex, or a few months due to faith and fury.

The current faq tells you to disregard the white dwarf chapter tactics bit and just use the rules for successor tactics. This killed off (the admittedly super broken) method of using one chapter's tactics while being successors of a different. Their unique tactic is also just two different successor tactics, available to all.

Their unique relic is in the marine codex, available to all.

Their unique stratagem is in faith and fury, available to all.

Angelos was the only piece of content that stayed relevant.

This. The Blood Ravens' chapter tactic is actually two of the Custom Successor tactics (specifically: Knowledge is Power and Stalwart).

The current faq tells you to disregard the white dwarf chapter tactics bit and just use the rules for successor tactics.

It does? Oh, praise emps. I wasn't looking for it so I never saw that bit.

[...]

This. The Blood Ravens' chapter tactic is actually two of the Custom Successor tactics (specifically: Knowledge is Power and Stalwart).

Yeah, and at least one of those I'd just never take. I hated getting nailed down on those.

I have to go through this every. Darn. Time. I play someone new

And? Do they make a fuss when you refuse to stick to the WD?

Have you had a chance to wave the FAQ in their faces?

Lol if there was no faq it'd honestly be better. Following the white dwarf rules allows you to select any of the available chapter tactics (including templars and crimson fists) without having to follow the same successors. You could do raven guard successors with white scars chapter tactic for example. The blood ravens were the most competitive chapter until that faq came out.

I've mostly got past my disappointment and just paint stuff that reminds me of the first two dawn of wars these days (for the most part, there's some things here and there with 3 that can make it in).

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, the Blood Ravens white dwarf was really a ridiculous cash grab by GW.  I'm honestly not too chaffed about the Raven's CT though, because the traits in the WD were terrible.  

What are opinions on Angelos now?  I still think he's overpriced at the number in the WD, even with the price hike in 9th other HQs got.  

My opinion is that it really depends what FF you're using. Raven guard tend to like dumping cp, so he might be good there; ultramarines are more reactionary, so you might get away with the strat for them.

He's still pretty expensive, and while he can deal with chaf and big targets decently, imo he's only really worth it with scars so you can leverage his movement and lack of gun. Also the artel model is necessary for his pounding down the court look.

• 2 months later...
So in case any of the small amount of blood ravens players read this; angelos is one of the only chapter masters left with the aura of full rerolls until they eventually remember him. Depending on the wording of the new first founding stuff, the blood ravens also may have gained the ability back to choose one set of chapter tactics (ie, scars) but be descended from another (ie, raven guard).

• 3 weeks later...

They have not forgotten him, Angelos has new rules in the FW compendium that is up for pre order this weekend.

The book also has a chapters of renown section that likely has chapter tactics. Hopefully just recommended ones!

It has suggested chapter tactics.  So I’d imagine the same two that match up from the WD atricle.  This is a quote from the pre-order page.

The book also suggests Successor Tactics for five of Forge World’s most renowned Space Marines Chapters – the Red Scorpions, Minotaurs, Blood Ravens, Astral Claws, and Carcharodons.

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Imperial-Armour-Compendium-2020-FW

The suggested set is Ultramarines descendants using stalwart and knowledge is power as successor tactics. So, pretty default.

I mean, aside from the Ultramarines thing, that's what their Chapter Tactics were in the White Dwarf article anyways :lol:

The suggested set is Ultramarines descendants using stalwart and knowledge is power as successor tactics. So, pretty default.

I mean, aside from the Ultramarines thing, that's what their Chapter Tactics were in the White Dwarf article anyways :lol:

And that's fine; a lot of the problem with the white dwarf is this feeling of being ripped off, especially after the faq just said "use successor tactics". I don't think ultramarines is a bad fit, just that really it's hard to make a case for them over the rest.

And hey, angelos has actually good rules for the first time in a long while so that's some character added back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Im going with typical gamer joke about the blood ravens stealing anything not nailed down, including chapter tactics and playing with whichever tactics I've written on my army list when its constructed these days

Memes aside, if you go by the games they use some extremely adaptable and unconventional tactics and strategies. It's hard to play dawn of war 1 or 2 and say "ya, they have more skilled librarians and are a bit tankier than I expected".