Welcome to part five of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 8th edition Codex, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still), and part four will discuss the Legends units that we still own and love. Finally, part five will be dedicated to the reinforcements from Forge World.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Relic Javelin Attack Speeder

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use a Javelin (found in Imperial Armour - Index: Forces of the Adeptus Astertes)?
  • To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiple units?
  • What weapon options are you taking?
  • Are you buffing this unit? If so, how?
  • Stratagems of note?
  • Over to you.

I have one for my IX Legion that I have been (VERY) slowly assembling....the resin kit is beastly...you've been warned.

In 8th/9th:

Decent firepower with heavy bolter + Typhoon missiles. Able to swap out HB for multi-melta and the typhoon for a twin lascannon. 

15" Movement is an odd characteristic, getting an extra inch on bikes. 

T6 W9 Sv3+ is an interesting defensive profile; able to weather small arms fairly well while still crumpling to heavy weapons. 

It's secret sauce is the -1 To Hit for enemies > 8" targeting it. That is a nifty ability...

...however, it's greatest asset--Movement + <Fly>--directly contradicts its heavy weapons, thus it's a bit of a schitzo unit. You want to keep it moving yet you don't want to keep it moving. Especially in T1 when Heavy weapons get an additional AP-1. 

Use Case:

If I brought mine into 8th/9th, I would keep it on the edge of its lascannon range as much as possible to maximize firepower and also the defensive -1 To Hit. Hopefully it flies under the radar as not enough of a threat to be prioritized yet still able to sneak lascannon shots in from an expected place. Binary movement: either go all out with Advancing + 15" or keep it still for accuracy buff. There's really no in between. 

A bit of an odd duck unit that could make a difference, but you're unlikely to see on the table really at all. FWIW, it's not terrible by any means, just odd. 

I think all land speeders, and most BA vehicles, will be better in 9th. The Relic speeder is an amazing alpha strike unit. Two lascannon shots, two hunter-killers and a multimelta will scrap most heavy units in that first turn, while the typhoon and heavy bolter are nasty anti infantry weapons anyway you slice it. A good, though pricey, alternative to the regular speeders, I think it should be used accordingly.

I would keep this fella away from bolters, wounding on fives with massed fire is enough of a threat to the land speeder, though the javelin can afford to stray closer to guard lines than the regular speeder, +1 toughness is a very useful addition.

I use this to support the faster elements of your strikeforce, especially those lacking anti-tank firepower. An assault squad or two, an inceptor squad and a javelin, led by a fast character and some SG are a fast moving spearhead that can deal tremendous damage to almost any unit they meet, while also being able to choose just where they want to fight, and when. Backed up by a whirlwind and/or a flier, and you might find even the toughest traitor strongholds or xenos hordes just don't seem quite so daunting.

I like land speeders of all kinds, they are the only way I can have my heavy weapons keep pace with my jump infantry, and the relic speeder does everything I could want it to. Whether I would take one over a regular speeder? I'm kind of hovering on it.