The Smash Captain in 9th

Lukoi

Out of curiousity, wondered folks opinions/perspective on the future of the JP-captain in 9th.

With the new character rule, it makes "making the charge" by all of your screening units even more important than before I'd think, and while these guys will still be great at impacting the mid-game, I think it's safe to say they might have a harder time sticking around to earn multiple opportunities to smash.  As a RG player that doesn't use Cents for deepstrike (been sending a mixed package of Aggressors and Suppressors instead and truly enjoying it), I can see I'm going to need to factor in more ablative armor for the Captain.  

How are others approaching this?

I'm considering bringing some non-primaris assault types for the first time ever as a possible ablative/chaff squad, and with the reduction in overwatch, really considering whether I want to bring the RG specific warlord traits of Shadowmaster (denies OW), and Master of Ambush (allows for a pre-game move between deployment, and first battle round (step 6 in 9th's mission start) - so I think useful only in 50% of the games due to die roll), perhaps going into Iron Resolve+Imperium Sword to maximize the smashing.

Thanks all, for any feedback, and good hunting.

I think smash captains work better as a counter punch unit opposed to the guided missile approach.

Always a solid option, and one I've used before.  In the former, at least you're probably close enough to own lines that the screening rule for 9th is easier to mitigate, but that's not really the scenario I'm looking into atm.  Additionally, I'm not actually looking to sacrifice my Smash Captain, but being able to threaten deeper field (more challenging with our smaller map in 9th) is part and parcel of the RG, so it's an area I want to maximize the threat of - even if's only a bluff :).