Deathwatch getting everything in the new boxset

angrom

So apparently deathwatch will be getting everything from indomitus boxset they say. Unless they are finally aknowledging deathwatch as a space marine chapter we might get disappointed with some character missing.

Otherwise this is massive extra ordinary news for us.

I can see so many combos with our existing stratagems that will be awesome.

Beacon angelis of vet primaris with shields and turn 1 charge thanks to chaplain on bike anyone?

The chaplain on the bike will be pretty big for first turn charges, and while the bladeguard are some of the coolest and killy-est primaris, you gotta consider if other units can do the job better. You also have to remember that as soon as the bladeguard lose a model, your character will be vulnerable. Easily fixed if you bring Outriders or Bikers along with the chaplain.

I'm not putting any hope on the LT and Ancient but I am curious if we get the Judicar. I sure wish we could have an Ancient-like model in Deathwatch....

For the bladeguards and outriders it is certain that the unit size will be increased to at least 5 when new codexes drops so i am not too worried. Same for necrons.

I intend to use together a big unit of outrider and teleport beacon bladeguards for a first turn charge that will apply a lot of pressure while my intercessor and vets are moving and capturing objectives

For the bladeguards and outriders it is certain that the unit size will be increased to at least 5 when new codexes drops so i am not too worried. Same for necrons.

I intend to use together a big unit of outrider and teleport beacon bladeguards for a first turn charge that will apply a lot of pressure while my intercessor and vets are moving and capturing objectives

Why is it "certain" that the unit size will increase to at least 5?

Nothing indicates that such is the case.

While we have precedent for Inceptors and Aggressors going 3-6 once the marine codex dropped, Eliminators and Suppressors have remained at 3.

There is nothing certain about GW's decisions aside from them being at times arbitrary.

Edited by Qui-Gon

I’ll believe DW gets them all when I see it in the actual rules. WarCom is often misleading with this stuff.

Well, considering they advertised them all as usable by the Deathwatch, if it turned out it wasn't I'm sure someone somewhere would request a refund claiming false advertising...

Why is it "certain" that the unit size will increase to at least 5?

Nothing indicates that such is the case.

While we have precedent for Inceptors and Aggressors going 3-6 once the marine codex dropped, Eliminators and Suppressors have remained at 3.

There is nothing certain about GW's decisions aside from them being at times arbitrary.

Eliminators are a bit of an exception because even GW acknowledge that 3*6 eliminators would be bonkers.

There is still a pattern in GW way of doing things. and usually troop units with not too much impact are fielded with multiple of 5

and big models with 3+ wounds by multiple of 3.

Leaving the unit size maxed at 3 especially for melee units such as bladeguards and destroyers will be counter productive because it will make them

pretty unworthy to spend any stratagem or power boost on them due to lower overall benefit.

That would make the new models pretty much unplayed and let alone in a corner and I don't think they will let that happen.

I’ll believe DW gets them all when I see it in the actual rules. WarCom is often misleading with this stuff.

Well, considering they advertised them all as usable by the Deathwatch, if it turned out it wasn't I'm sure someone somewhere would request a refund claiming false advertising...

Remember when the new Codex and Psychic Awakening came out? I remember a LOOOOOOOOOOT of Dark Angels and Space Wolves players buying Centurions and painting them up in their respective colours (often times beautifully), only to find out, nope sorry, GW lied.

Especially since the Index Astartes article for Dark Angels in the September 2019 White Dwarf flat-out stated Dark Angels have Centurions and use them regularly....

I'm very excited at the prospect of Eradicators - with the teleportarium strategy those fellas can nuke things.

I was just thinking about them. I'm already thinking about what I'd like to do in a small primaris Crusade force and struggling over how to do anything anti-tank. Though I'd still be happy with las eliminators, just sayin.

Also, I was just daydreaming about how awesome it would be if we didn't get the "assault intercessors" datasheet, but could take the astartes chainswords on our regular intercessors? That would be a nice way to give us a little of that DW uniqueness to the new wave. If the multipart kit came with some chainswords in scabbards (like the one push fit srg does), or right handed ones, they could mesh fine with the few leftie only held bolters in the regular intercessor kit. I mean, no chance this is happening, but it would have been cool (especially since we don't have Veteran Intercessors).

Another 'what if', would love to see a new kill team made up of assault Intercessors, Bladeguard Vets, and Outriders :D

I would like to see a KT made of Tacticus Units (Intercessors, Hellblasters, Outriders, Bladeguard) one of Phobos Units (Infiltrati, Incursors, Reivers, Eliminators) andine of gravis Units (Eradicators, Agressors, Inceptors)

It would be pretty cool

Just thought I'd point out that the Biker Chaplain is not included in the Indomitus box, so I'd dissuade anyone excited by the prospect of that model being added to the Deathwatch roster as, for now, we don't know if Deathwatch will get access to that unit (though I'd wager and hope that they will).

Just thought I'd point out that the Biker Chaplain is not included in the Indomitus box, so I'd dissuade anyone excited by the prospect of that model being added to the Deathwatch roster as, for now, we don't know if Deathwatch will get access to that unit (though I'd wager and hope that they will).

We have regular chaplains and chaplains with jumppacks, so I feel like we'll probably end up getting chaplains on bikes. That said, GW has made it very clear that they don't know what they want to do with us, so I wouldn't be surprised if we somehow didn't get the model.

I'm not expecting the Lieutenant statline but hopeful that the neo-volkite pistol/storm shield gets added to the Armoury for Primaris Watch Captains - he is an alternative model then.

I also don't see a reason we wouldn't get the Primaris bike chaplain, but I would rather be optimistic than keep being so down about things.

I'm not expecting the Lieutenant statline but hopeful that the neo-volkite pistol/storm shield gets added to the Armoury for Primaris Watch Captains - he is an alternative model then.

I also don't see a reason we wouldn't get the Primaris bike chaplain, but I would rather be optimistic than keep being so down about things.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Mission Tactics takes a whole new turn in the new codex and Lts join the Watch as a new HQ option.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Mission Tactics takes a whole new turn in the new codex and Lts join the Watch as a new HQ option.

I hadn't thought about them completely upending mission tactics - that could be a whole new world.

You know with the previous press fits, I would often just do a hard clip on the front/back of the shoulder, and one on top to flatten in out, and quite honestly I felt it looked just fine. You'd really have to pick it up and look right up the model from underneath to notice anything.

Another quick trick is a little ball of green stuff sitting on the work table beside you can be a handy way of 'auto filling' the gaps. I just put a mini-pea sized ball on the rough cuts, squish the should pad down, and you find the cracks fill in quickly.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

On another note... for a very long time I want LT's in my Deathwatch. But now that I've had a fistfull of 9th ed games, I really don't know now. HQ's a very much a premium. If DW get to use LT's as a result of this boxset, I'm curious how many DW armies will really end up using one?

Chaplains are another thing I never really saw too much merit in my Deathwatch. I don't know about the limited HQ slots for DW. Most of my 9th ed games have been a single Battalion.

Those are some tough questions, Prot. I'm definitely thinking the answer on the Lt one, with what little info we have, is probably a no. They don't bring something we can't live without. Cool model and unit, though - so won't apply to everyone.

But in a world where mission tactics aren't providing that buff for us? Yeah, I could see them finding a way into lists.

Sadly, my personal hope was that they would make their way to the Watch in 8th when I actually had 4 HQs to fill and that sometimes felt like a tax.

Those are some tough questions, Prot. I'm definitely thinking the answer on the Lt one, with what little info we have, is probably a no. They don't bring something we can't live without. Cool model and unit, though - so won't apply to everyone.

But in a world where mission tactics aren't providing that buff for us? Yeah, I could see them finding a way into lists.

Sadly, my personal hope was that they would make their way to the Watch in 8th when I actually had 4 HQs to fill and that sometimes felt like a tax.

I think I lean that way as well.

But on my part that's purely an effectiveness rating. I might find the LT to be a rule of cool model.... much like Artemis is for me. I just have to include him wherever possible. Artemis -might- drop for an LT?

Chaplains are another thing I never really saw too much merit in my Deathwatch. I don't know about the limited HQ slots for DW. Most of my 9th ed games have been a single Battalion.

There's a couple of cool ways to build around chaplains, but it does require his litanies to go off. And we can make it turn 1 with drop pods/dreadnaught drop pods or turn 2 deep striking, from a melee perspective.

The other way and probably more common way is going to be getting off the +1 to hit litany and beaconing the affected unit across the board. The most promising one, to me at least, is the sniper bomb. 9 stalker intercessors with an aggressor - litany said unit, beacon in to a watchmaster (or Capt?) in a drop pod and activate target sighted. 9 shots, hitting and wounding on 2+. And with doctrine, thats AP-3 hellfire rounds. If you split fire, you should kill off 2 characters immediately. If Tau shield drones or look out sir shenanigans, you kit out the vet kill team in your drop pod to spray them down first.

And following that, you keep a couple 5-man intercessors sniping from that back so you can use it again down the road as a backup.

You could also consider terminators in the same manor... get a few cyclone missile launchers, couple melta fists and a bunch of storm bolters. Get off that litany and Beacon, or you can use veterans fury since you only get a max of +1 to hit. SB's on 2's and CMLs on 3's... wipe out chaff and hurt some vehicles in the same go.

llowing that, you keep a couple 5-man intercessors sniping from that back so you can use it again down the road as a backup.