Deathwatch getting everything in the new boxset

angrom

That teleporting stalker team sounds nasty business, I like it a lot!

I just pointed out in the other thread if they don't faq anything on release on Saturday then we know the points costs to all the indomitus units already, and we now have access to a 90-pt lieutenant with all gear.

I guess the question is to know if the community post saying that deathwatch will get everything from indomitus box is as good as an official statment? We probably won't hear from them officially about that until the new codex comes out and that can take a few months.

It wasn't just the community post that said it - they also confirmed it a couple times in their Warhammer Daily twitch streams.

Does anyone know if a Primaris captain on bike is going to be an option?

As much as I like the bike Chaplin rerolls for them will be key and shooting is our bread and butter over combat any day, that said if we get the regular captain on bike option it may be better because he can take a storm Bolter and banebolts, just a regular bike squad where a teleport homer is nice has 2 less wounds per guy and 4 wounds toughness 5 bikes are not a long shot from the durability of custodian bikers, just a damn tonne cheaper and let's be honest, they will get shot allot as the new big bad marine unit they will likely end up as a distraction carnifex.

Does anyone know if a Primaris captain on bike is going to be an option?

For now there’s not really any reason to expect they’ll be, not until GW reveals a new Captain on bike model, and no leaks has so far hinted at those ever being a possibility...

Shame, doesn't strike me as a model that even needs to be considered, just something that should exist if other Primaris are getting bikes, I say that as in the HQ options exist, sitting on a bike isn't a leap. Lol

That said I'm still waiting on the jump pack option for them, fingers crossed for 1 day. :p

Shame, doesn't strike me as a model that even needs to be considered, just something that should exist if other Primaris are getting bikes, I say that as in the HQ options exist, sitting on a bike isn't a leap. Lol

That said I'm still waiting on the jump pack option for them, fingers crossed for 1 day. :p

It’s nothing new though, is it? It’s been years since GW stopped adding new models to army books or options to models, that don’t have an actual specific kit available... Hell, we even have very specific loadout options for marine captains for that exact reason.

Not new but still annoying, I play sisters and the canoness gear restrictions and rules make it confusing to say the least with wired rules that you need to take a plasma pistol if taking the rod of command and a power sword but not a sacred blade (their relic blade) or Chainsword.

When the model came out the plasma pistol wasn't allowed as part of the gear selection with the rod but was built into the model as an illegal gear choice they had to errata, just annoying that common sense seems to stay one step ahead at times.

Looking forward to 9th though, maybe the end of us being the stepchild of marine armies. ;)

I have been really riding the fence hard on this. 

I sold my first Deathwatch army and started from scratch and found the limitations of the model line, just made the army too monochromatic to play. 

I have had two games scheduled for my Deathwatch that fell through and even though I’m playing a lot of ninth edition games, I find every time I make a list for DW it feels like every other list. 

I’m still not sure I believe GW that the box set is entirely usable.  

Then I think of what’s in it and I don’t really know how much of it I would actually use with DW. 

I sold my first Deathwatch army and started from scratch and found the limitations of the model line, just made the army too monochromatic to play.

I have had two games scheduled for my Deathwatch that fell through and even though I’m playing a lot of ninth edition games, I find every time I make a list for DW it feels like every other list.

Then I think of what’s in it and I don’t really know how much of it I would actually use with DW.

I'm of the same mind. I might use the Captain, Chaplain, and Judiciar.

For me, DW is really all about the extremely customizable kill team. Unfortunately, the rules of the game really kinda make that customization worthless because everybody selected storm bolters and storm shields.

Then we get to Primaris, where customization is not possible per Marine, and it just falls apart for me. I love the imagery of the DW veteran kill team with bolters, power swords, special and combi weapons, flying in a Corvus.

But they're not just uncompetitive, they're downright miserable.

And the Primaris addition, while powerful, ends up turning the army into just another colour codex marine force.

I'm of the same mind. I might use the Captain, Chaplain, and Judiciar.

For me, DW is really all about the extremely customizable kill team. Unfortunately, the rules of the game really kinda make that customization worthless because everybody selected storm bolters and storm shields.

Then we get to Primaris, where customization is not possible per Marine, and it just falls apart for me. I love the imagery of the DW veteran kill team with bolters, power swords, special and combi weapons, flying in a Corvus.

But they're not just uncompetitive, they're downright miserable.

And the Primaris addition, while powerful, ends up turning the army into just another colour codex marine force.

Sadly you are right but it's just up to you to convert units and use allies to flavour the force.

Think of us like a glass cannon, in all likelihood we will kill what we shoot then die so try and keep squads cheap built to roles and convert the models around the idea of the theme.

It's hard but it's rewarding as we can use everything now but even before any other marine kit was ours to convert so we can have the beautiful armies still.

Back at the end of 6th ed when I started deathwatch (converted with metal GW pads using marine dex) I made so many cool squads in running poses, jumping over things, you name it, I have more characters that I know what to do with but it looks cool and when I need them I will now have them for this edition.

Just go nuts, make things you like without going overboard and you will be fine.

Think I'm going to dig my guys out this weekend whilst I'm working on the new stuff for a quick Plog update, been meaning to do it for years. Lol

That is good news, just annoying to have different rules for Storm shields, hope they either make it consistent across the range or change the shields name.

I imagine they'll FAQ it or just roll it into our next codex at some point. Which will be when the indomitus stuff gets SIA. The lieutenant is definitely interesting though given it's overlap with mission tactics as they stand. Though they may change the tactics. I'm still waiting on my shadowspear models to be deathwatch officially.

Nah I've been looking through my codex to double check... SIA is an ability and has been placed on individual data sheets. If its not on that data sheet itself, according to the codex, then it cannot be used by that unit. An example is the dreadnaughts - storm bolters can use SIA, but the dreadnaughts dont have the ability so therefore, they cannot use SIA when shooting.

Mission tactics will still apply to everything.

Nah I've been looking through my codex to double check... SIA is an ability and has been placed on individual data sheets. If its not on that data sheet itself, according to the codex, then it cannot be used by that unit. An example is the dreadnaughts - storm bolters can use SIA, but the dreadnaughts dont have the ability so therefore, they cannot use SIA when shooting.

Mission tactics will still apply to everything.

Ah, good catch.

That's a bummer, but not unexpected.

Which means none of them have special issue ammo

good to know

If they don't then they simply won't be used until they do, I'm not investing in models that only have half the armies rules and miss the most important ones.

Hopefully they won't make a stupid mistake like that.

Eradicators don't get SIA anyway so i will be more than happy to use them :D . Also the bladeguard and assault intercessors and characters only have pistols so we aren't losing out too much.

The pistols do make a big difference but you are right, it's not every unit, that said if your looking at a t5 or higher model with only pistols you will feel the lack of hellfire rounds.

Just means may be best to avoid any new Bolter style units like the bikers until it is fixed and focus on eradicators and blade guard like you said.