Horror Returns This October

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/07/08/horror-returns-this-october/

We're getting a new lineup of Horror for the Fall/Winter seasons, as expected.

What's more, Peter Fehervari is spearheading it!

wT8X7e7LrJ7uVv3s.jpg

They've not given details or further teases just yet, but they confirm it is the start of the next wave. I'd expect another launch anthology at the minimum, along with one audio drama. The rest should be sprinkled throughout the months following October.

...at least that's my educated guess after seeing the previous Horror season and their Crime lineup.

I'm only posting because I am legally required to as a member of the Peter Fehervari cult here on B&C.

I have to laugh at them calling Requiem Infernal a non-horror work though, especially when one of the more prominent questions people put was why it didn't have the branding despite doing horror far better than most of their offerings.

Edited by Lord Marshal

Dang, all Fehervari's interviews lead me to believe it would be a while before we saw more from him, glad I was mistaken! Cover is gorgeous as is par the course for the horror imprint, and his name on it is all the marketing I need!

Not that any back-of-the-book summary is remotely indicitive of what Fehervari puts between the covers anyway.

I'm just so floored & happy by the fact that Fehervari is delivering the flagship novel this time. In nobody's shadow, just there as the first offering to be marketed, and first out the door. He absolutely deserves this!

That being said, I expect this to be another tale for the Coil, Horror imprint or not. His setting is flexible enough to accomodate it, allows for drawing on parallel ideas, and he makes sure to deliver a self-contained narrative despite the meta-network. There's no reason to expect The Reverie to be an isolated story, even if direct links may end up toned down a little. I expect it to be a fantastic getting started point to his Dark Coil at any rate.

....now they just need to make a print lite-omnibus collecting the Phaedra stories (Fire Caste, Out Caste, Sanctuary for Wyrms, Vanguard) and call it Thunderground, harkening back to one of the working titles like they did with Cult of the Spiral Dawn when it got paperback'd. Make it so, BL.

Edited by DarkChaplain

I’m slightly surprised to see this. I was expecting Fehervari’s next novel to be about the Angels Penitent. He mentioned submitting a first draft in that Track of Words interview last year. Unless of course this is what his Angels Penitent novel became. Either way more Fehervari is always great.

Especially when he's admitted to being an extremely slow writer (I think). I wonder if there being more buzz surrounding Requiem Infernal compelled GW to offer him a more specific commission? Edited by Lord Marshal

I have to laugh at them calling Requiem Infernal a non-horror work though, especially when one of the more prominent questions people put was why it didn't have the branding despite doing horror far better than most of their offerings.

My understanding was the only reason Requiem Infernal didn't make it into Warhammer Horror was a disconnect in publishing schedules. I can't imagine there was anything about it that specifically kept it out of WHH.

I'm only posting because I am legally required to as a member of the Peter Fehervari cult here on B&C.

I assumed they meant non-horror as in not part of the warhammer horror brand, rather than non-horror genre. 

I’m slightly surprised to see this. I was expecting Fehervari’s next novel to be about the Angels Penitent. He mentioned submitting a first draft in that Track of Words interview last year. Unless of course this is what his Angels Penitent novel became. Either way more Fehervari is always great.

Especially when he's admitted to being an extremely slow writer (I think). I wonder if there being more buzz surrounding Requiem Infernal compelled GW to offer him a more specific commission?

I am not sure he is particularly slow but as writing is not his primary source of income (he earns his living as a TV editor) he only writes part time.

Then again compared to a machine like Guy Haley he would of course be considered glacially slow!

Super excited for this one and the cover is top notch. Looking back at Avenging Son joke... Now, this book better not sell-out so I can get my copy, or two.

Also, was it necessary to create a new thread? There are already two threads for Warhammer Horror and it seems the book is also being discussed in the general upcoming BL stuff. 

Super excited for this one and the cover is top notch. Looking back at Avenging Son joke... Now, this book better not sell-out so I can get my copy, or two.

Also, was it necessary to create a new thread? There are already two threads for Warhammer Horror and it seems the book is also being discussed in the general upcoming BL stuff. 

I'd say so, considering this'll be "season 2" of Horror, so to say, with more announcements to come over the coming weeks. The posting on Upcoming actually happened within a minute of this thread being posted, anyway.

I think PF has mentioned that his Angels Resplendent novel was shaping to be even more horrific than Requiem Infernal, so I'm not surprised to see it marketed under the Warhammer Horror label.

But no hint of SPACE MARINES on the cover seems like a bit of an oddity to me, I thought they would have wanted to pull in some of the crowd that only reads Space Marine fiction. 

But no hint of SPACE MARINES on the cover seems like a bit of an oddity to me, I thought they would have wanted to pull in some of the crowd that only reads Space Marine fiction.

That was what surprised me as well. A great deal of the 'your favourite BL book' lists on here attest to that being a very real thing. The impression I get from the Horror and Crime labels (because I am sure I read this somewhere) is that they're aiming for audiences who might shrug off seeing typical 40k covers as 'sci-fi military tripe' (which, in fairness, they mostly are) and instead use less Warhammer-specific covers in order to fit onto a shelf with other fiction of that genre.

Edited by Lord Marshal

My only dip into the horror books so far has been watcher in the rain. Which I only bought for the cover. Yes, an audio book I bought for the cover. Clever or what?

It was ok. I definitely didn’t find it horrific. The covers for horror have been superbly gothic.

PF won’t do a bloody shock horror book so I’m cool with buying this. Can’t wait

The Way Out by Rachel Harrison is probably the best BL audio drama I have heard.

I listened to it on headphones in the dark, and it was genuinely scary.

I have Watcher in the Rain, but I'm saving it for when he nights get dark early.

Personally, I wasn't as keen on The Way Out as you - although it was pretty cool, too! - but The Watcher in the Rain really impressed me with its thick atmosphere. That was an easy to recommend audio drama, even for folks outside of 40k, and pretty much on point for BL's attempts to strike out to non-fans.

Darkly Dreaming was also very well written and chilling, with just the right amount of bite, as expected from a Reynolds script.

• 2 months later...

There’s an interview with Peter Fehervari up on Warhammer Community: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/09/16/the-reverie-the-author-speaks/

It’s pretty much entirely focused on The Reverie but it does name the next two books coming in the imprint: The Deacon of Wounds and The Harrowed Paths. They’re both coming in 2021 so there won’t be any full length Horror works in November/December.

It’s also great to see Fehervari so excited about the future of Horror as an imprint.

He actually acknowledges that point in the above interview, and said it's exclusion came down to publishing schedule, as he actually pitched the story as a horror one.