Horror Returns This October

Quoting Peter Fehervari from the interview...

“Embark on a twisted journey into the dark-bright heart of a tormented Space Marine Chapter that soared too high and gazed too deep, but be wary, for the revelations ahead might grow teeth and come after you.”

And THAT is how you sell a Space Marine book to someone who mostly steers clear of Space Marine books (although at this stage I would buy ANYTHING by Fehervari)

I've been sort of lukewarm on the Horror imprint so far (with the exception of Dark Harvest, that is) so I wasn't all that buzzed about it returning, but a Fehervari book is another proposition altogether. I say that purely on the strength of Requiem Infernal - I haven't gotten around to reading his other work yet, but that was enough to convince me I need to get this on release day.

Do we know who else is writing for this "season" yet? Any word on audio dramas? I liked The Way Out and The Watcher in the Rain a lot, so I'm hoping for something else in that format.

After Anarch and some of the eerie xenoscapes of the Eisenhorn series, I'd love to see Abnett write something for WHH, but I suspect he's too busy.

So in the absence of a specific thread for Reverie and building off some googling about the Angels Replendent's colour scheme, I turned up this from a chap who'd interviewed Fehervari last year, talking about how:

There is a conflict in their lore. There would be a novel about them in the near future - Rapsody Eternal where the issue would be adressed. In short, initialy they were orange, but at some point in their history they experiensed some transformation and went faaaar away from being traditional Blood Angel Successors. They used differend shades of blue (as this is depicted in Requiem Infernal it is almoust rainbow-like) after that. And even later they became Penitent and change color scheme once again.

[...]

It is not yet written in canon, but last summer I had an opportunity to talk with Peter Fehervari about Resplendent and he said that he wants to adress the issue with their conflicting color scheme that you describe and use it as a part of their characterization for his new novel which would be specificaly about Resplendent.

For reference, Requiem Infernal describes their livery as follows:

“The sentries’ ornate power armour shimmered in the storm light, the sheen never settling on a single hue, as though it were infused with a rainbow. One moment their plates were a burnt orange, the next a rich purple, then a deep blue, each suit rippling synchronously with the others so the squad remained consistent. Tabards of spun gold hung from their waists, matching the gilded crests of their beaked helmets.”

So that's a small hint about what may be in Reverie (besides noting that it used to be called Rhapsody Eternal, also a solid name) and that there's more to the Angels' history than the shift from Resplendent to Penitent.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It might be also very likely due to some website issues or the allocated just a few copies for those regions. Paperbacks, unlike the majority of hardbacks, are sold in regular bookstores (print run is multiple times higher for paperbacks) so I don't think all copies are gone already. I can't even check Luther's LE on NZ/AUS, gives me a generic error but it works just fine on JAP site and both books are still available there.

Reminder that The Reverie is now available for order on Amazon too (as of this week). Nobody here should go home without a copy.

Hard copy, digital copy, all the copies you can get with extras for your friends.

Then, prepare for your friends to give you weird looks and explain to them "well you see, you have to start with Fire Caste..."

Reminder that The Reverie is now available for order on Amazon too (as of this week). Nobody here should go home without a copy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reverie-Warhammer-Horror-TBC/dp/1789999375/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Peter+Fehervari&qid=1603635664&s=books&sr=1-1

Could only find the paperback on Amazon UK, and a month away. Think I will order this one through GW.

Strange, the same edition, same ISBN (978-1789999372), is available October 27th on Amazon.de and Amazon.com, as well as some other local stores over here that aren't affiliated with Amazon.

Either .co.uk has a more up to date entry (not unlikely, seeing that's where headquarters are located), or it's a mistake. Either way, it'll be available in bookstores, too.

More info on the upcoming Horror books previously mentioned in a community post, Deacon of Wounds and the Harrowed Paths: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/10/28/warhammer-horror-in-2021/

Deacon of Wounds we already know about so I won’t summarize beyond to say it’s by David Annandale and set in 40k.

The Harrowed Paths is an anthology. They didn’t reveal every writer but Lora Gray, Jake Ozga, Graham McNeill and Richard Strachan were mentioned. Gray’s short story is Five Candles, which came out Monday as part of ‘Horror Week’ or whatever they’re calling it, so I’d put good money on the other 4 stories also being in the anthology. Poor form if that’s the case. Glad I only bought Fehervari’s short instead of subscribing to the bundle.

Quite excited for another Annandale's Horror novel. The promo picture is of a hardback (it looks great, by the way) but that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be one. Malediction, The Reverie and others were also announced with pictures of hardcovers. However, quite a few bookstores have it listed as a hardcover. I'm keeping my hopes up as I prefer hardcovers over paperbacks.

The Harrowed Paths anthology containing the recent 5 Horror short stories was expected to happen. I'm still going to buy it as I'd like them all in print. The same happened last year with the Digital Week Horror short stories. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally had some time to go through the latest 5 short stories. Nightbleed was excellent, as expected. Rest, average. I was most excited to read Five Candles as I have loved everything by Lora Gray so far but it was the biggest disappointment and the weakest one in the collection.

I have also noticed overuse of profanity getting into BL writing and I don't like it at all. The first book I noticed it was in Bloodlines. At least there it was used as it should be: to make a point, sparsely, and to add extra layer to the character/scene. I'm still against it and one of the reasons I loved BL stuff was their huge no to f*/s*. They should at least come up with more in-universe equivalents as we had with frack. Now it reads like any other cheap Sci-Fi.

It looks this was a decision by c-level management because every new horror/crime story I've read so far is following this new trend. I can almost see the meeting where it was decided. "here we can look at this graph A and B and we can clearly see readers consider characters that swear more mature, edgy, and cool. They can identify with the characters more easily. We have decided to update our KPIs and a new target is 1 profanity per 10K words. That should increase our sales by at least 10 % and attract new audience."

Pentimento is less than 9k words (around 35 pages) and I counted at least 9 s*s/f*s. It completely killed the story for me and Kyme absolutely failed to incorporate this kind of language in his writing, unlike Wraight or Haley.

I'm no puritan, I swear a lot but I can't stand it in fiction if it serves no purpose, which so far in Crime/Horror it doesn't, except for Bloodlines and maybe Flesh and Steel.