Pure Primaris Codex Possible?

Dracos

They wont.

100% sure on this one.

This. If we get a Primaris codex it'll be years from now after they've retired the last of the old molds. And seeing as GW is still using molds from 2nd edition, that means at least another decade of Firstborn running around.

I did not start this topic. It was an off hand comment regarding a friendly bet about what would be first, a Primaris Codex or Black Templar supplement.

I highly doubt it. Plenty of characters, unique units, etc. are still entirely firstborn, so especially DA, SW and BA are still playing very heavily mixed forces of primaris and firstborn when including Primaris.

I also don't expect firstborn to go to legends, I would think GW would revisit their kits after finishing Primaris. Doing some sort of historical set of campaigns and armies from M31-M41 sounds like a way for them to make money, and GW does like to make money.

I don’t think the Firstborn are going anywhere. They will be the main Marine Codex for a long time to come. I just think at some point there will be a Supplement (is probably the better way to put it) that is an all Primaris only publication to detail that kind of Chapter.

I could see some interesting narratives coming out of this. Small scale civil war between a all Firstborn Chapter and all Primaris Chapter where the Founding Chapter comes in and settles the dispute (forcefully or not). Would make for an interesting return of Russ story :)

Give it a couple of years and they will pull a warhammer fantasy on ogmarines.

If by a couple you mean "ten" sure.

I wouldn't stress any Oldstartes going away until their kits go direct only on the GW site.

Give it a couple of years and they will pull a warhammer fantasy on ogmarines.

Blow them up and then have Forgeworld bring them back a few years later?

Warhammer: The Old Imperium :biggrin.:

I think they call that "Horus Heresy". It even uses an old edition's ruleset!

I wonder if we'll see some sort of transitional state, personally, with GW rolling some datasheets into one another to make the codex shorter, and in doing so dropped some of the rules associated with older units?

I wouldn't be that surprised if Indomitus, Tartaros and Cataphractii all got lumped together, Terminator Captains got condensed from two to one sheet, Company Veterans got absorbed into Vanguard or Sternguard, all Castaferrum Dreadnoughts became Venerable etc. It would avoid outright "legending" older/less used units, but at the same time could cut 6-10 datasheets from the codex and remove a bunch of balancing work/reduce the amount of special rules for long-term support.

New release currently adds 13 new data sheets.... maybe 12 if assault intercessors are just a weapon option for regular intercessors..... 11 if they make the bike an upgrade for chaplains....

So what’s the total count of Primaris to firstborn data sheets?

After just going through the Space Marine Codex and adding the 13 War Angel quotes above, by my account there are ... 

37 Primaris only data sheets

53 non-Primaris data sheets

90 approx. total after Indomitus

There is 1 unique data sheet in the Raven Guard supplement. If I counted correctly there are 33 data sheets in the Sisters Codex.

Again . . . I did not start this thread. My offhand comment was lifted from another thread. I assume because some unspoken mod found it interesting?

Numbers alone show there is a logical reason to start building a Primaris Chapter Codex. More importantly there is narrative justification for creating a Primaris Chapter Codex. There are almost two dozen Ultima Founding Primaris Chapters . . . . more importantly, Primaris are the go to model for new players. Then there is always the question of what does a Primaris Chapter organizational structure look like? New and old players want this informtaion. It helps with our immersion into the narrative. I am not advocating Firstborn go Legends. Just the opposite, I believe they need some refreshing, but the new players, the future blood of the hobby goes largely Primaris.

Even anecdotally it should be self-evident, that the sale of a Primaris Codex would make bank. That reason alone I see it as inevitable. I just don't want to be in the old folks home when it does :)