9th and Inquisition

Looks like Inquisition and Assassins may be wrapped back into an "Agents of the Imperium" faction for 9th?

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/07/08/faction-focus-agents-of-the-imperium/

Otherwise this faction focus is very short on details, very difficult to tell what exactly will happen with our faction. Acolytes look basically the same, hopefully they get their price adjusted to something more reasonable or get better stats (I still maintain that the 3 wounds was not a typo but was intended an GW caved to pressure from non-inquisition players who thought this was somehow crazy good).

Fortunately, any Imperium army can include one Agent of the Imperium unit in a Battle-forged Detachment without losing their powerful Faction abilities.

Kind of cool I guess. Replicates what we had previously although now it isn't restricted to inquisitors and assassins ... you could bring an acolyte unit. Not sure why you'd want to but the ability is there.

Unless they give that agent of the imperium to acolytes I don’t think you’ll be able to bring them. Which is a shame since I’d love to bring one as a character as a cheap character protected plasma gun or something

At least per Pariah, which they said the exact same thing about, only Inquisitors have the Agent of the Imperium keyword to be added. If you want an inquisitor's various hangerons then you've got to take a vanguard of them. However, assassins don't have Agent of the Imperium either. Instead, they have their own rule that allows them to join an Imperium detachment. Similarly, Ephrael Stern doesn't use Agents of the Imperium but her own rule instead.

While I'm bummed that I can't add acolytes, etc. to my IG forces, I'm looking forward to taking some storm troopers with an inquisitor, assassin, and Stern.

Post- war of the spider assassins have the “agent of the imperium” keyword so unfortunately it’s an inquisitor or an assassin, but not both. Which is shame as i was hoping to add one of each as well

Oh Lord no. Now, assuming that inquisition can have a patrol detachment in 9th like the article said, I'm going to have to email GW to see if inquisition can add an assassin at all or if the fact that we've already got an Agent of the Imperium. RAW, I'd say no. Which means inquistion might be set up to be the only Imperium faction to be unable to include an assassin.

It'll be fine.

So the rule is that you can add one Agents of the Imperium unit to any army that has an Imperium WL (excluding Fallen), without it taking up a slot or breaking army bonuses. So this way you get one Inquisitor or one Assassin.

This is a special rule in addition to the other ways you can take them, which in both cases is a Vanguard detachment. No patrol for Inq unless they get a troops unit at some stage. Assassin then also have the special rule of not needing an HQ. If you take either in their own detachment, they are not using your "free" force org slot that is limited to one Agent unit.

There's also the question whether matched play army building still requires your list to share one keyword beyond Imperium or Chaos as it does now. If it doesn't, that opens up a lot of options again if you want to pay for an extra a detachment to soup.

Edited by sairence

There's also the question whether matched play army building still requires your list to share one keyword beyond Imperium or Chaos as it does now. If it doesn't, that opens up a lot of options again if you want to pay for an extra a detachment to soup.

The leaked book pages seems to suggest you don't need to share anything beyond Imperium now, just a single faction keyword as it was per the start of 8th.

However obviously many factions lose out on things like Doctrines & Sacred Rites by including an Imperium detachment, plus it costs CP now for additional detachments.

• 3 weeks later...