Mithril’s - Ork Waaaaagh:

MithrilForge

Heya,

It's been many...many years since i played the "FUN" 40k army :happy.:

So ere goes, My mate and I are playing a patrol 25 power mission for our first game of 9th when the book drops , he's playing sisters and he thinks i'm playing Necrons :wink: but i'm going to surprize im wif da Best army eva :biggrin.: ...well that's the plan...:sweat:

Anyways I got a box of boyz and put em together see below, pretty happy with the Nob (I stole a head from a Nob box as it looks cool) and jazzed his gun up to look more dakka like.

I'll be adding to this rather quickly as I need a 500pt army before the end of July :ohmy.: ...luckily it's only one unit of boys for the combat patrol game requirement... I have a Deffkilla wartrike and a Megatrakk scrapjet to put together and a unit of Nobs with big choppa's and maybe if I can get em a unit of stormboyz...

The Nob-

med_gallery_9146_3140_67874.jpg

this is them together...gotta get some paint on em quick smart

med_gallery_9146_3140_267346.jpg

Wish me luck.... but since they're going to be Blue...deys prob don't needs it as Blu is da Lucky Kulur

Cheers, Mithril

Edited by MithrilForge

WAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!

A great start, Mithril :thumbsup:

Any thoughts or words on the warband’s background? I see the thieving gitz are on Imperial bases.

Thanks for the support Kierdale :biggrin.:

I don't have any fluff locked in yet(will wait and see after I paint this unit to get a feel for em :sweat: )

they're on Imp bases as I'm thinking they'll be fast to paint and look decent.

actually it's 2:00pm here at home so i'm going to go out and undercoat em shortly :yes:  need to start painting like a speed freak tonight !

cheers, Mithril

Loving the warboss.

I have recently slipped/fell into build and painting a load of orks myself. I'm finding they are a lot more fun to paint and build than i thought which is good as I've got a pile of shame to burn through. I'm about 30 models in out of 100-120, not including the metal ones.

I may steal the advice about mix/match squads for myself

if you were ever on the fence about them, contrast paints are awesome for orks to get a very quick and easy standard for the boyz either directly or using a wash as a preshade.

my quick and dirty play around with base contrast paints / no metals at this point.

gallery_20758_2198_6728.jpg

@Ihg033 - thanks for the info and the blast from the past Ork :biggrin.: , I have tried Contrast before but found it not to my style for mini's, although to be fair I haven't used it on organic surfaces like clothing and skin... i'll maybe try some tonight...I have Snakebite leather and the Grey one- Basilicanum?...A preshade for boots and pants maybe :sweat: . Not such a bad idea considering the amount to do...

thanks for the advice and good luck with your pile of shame too :wink:

Cheers, Mithril

@seahawk

for the 2nd edition ork it was a wraithbone base then pretty much straight form the pot with:

ork flesh

black templar 

I cant remember if it was flesh tearers red or blood angels red 

snakebite leather for the pouches 

basilicanum grey for the metals

skeleton horde for the skulls/teef

I used wraithbone to do the checkers and edge the parts that are then gone over red or apothecary white.

I cant remember of the axe haft is snakebite, aggaros dunes or cygor brown

The whole thing took about 30 minutes at most and I could have been working on a few others at the same time whilst waiting for a layer to dry.

The Aobr boyz I've since painted (and am now trying to fix a bad case of misty primer on) have been painted as evil suns so more red than black but basically the same - gryph hound orange over a wrathbone dot for the eyes looks awesome - makes them almost look like they glow.

I'll add, I'm not a huge fan of the yellows for flat details. Great to wet blend with orange over a white base for flames but not so good for triangle patterns/checks etc. Seems more prone to pooling though that could just be me.

O.K. a quick PiP update, got base coats down and doing washes etc, note to self * realise now that i should give the shoota's the bodies without much detail cause its hard to see and a pain to try and paint inbetween the shoota :dry.: but that's a lesson learned, just showing the Nob as something to post progress of...

happy I swapped his head for the one from the Nob box :wub:

med_gallery_9146_3140_54131.jpg

Hoping to have the squad done tomorrow at the earliest (it's fun painting orks again but I am still a glacial painter...i realise these guys will die in droves so i'm not going all golden demon on em "Base coats ,wash, highlights and chipping...done", gotta keep muttering that to myself as I paint them...:biggrin.: )

cheers, Mithril

Edited by MithrilForge
emoji fails clean up

Update-

Finished 6 of the first 10, so 4 to go! I only painted to tabletop as I realised I could have kept going with more and more highlights etc but thought these are nice from a little distance away and i'm eventually going to paint a LOT more!!.

plus I need to actually get the army finished within a few weeks :laugh.: ....

first 6 -

med_gallery_9146_3140_47249.jpg

And here's the WiP of the next unit after these guys are done (I was working on this a while ago when they first came out cause they look so awesome:wub: , I'll need to put some blue on him to show he's been "Borrowed" from the Evil Sunz :wink:,

med_gallery_9146_3140_571539.jpg

Cheers, Mithril

Edited by MithrilForge
fixed broken emoji

On 7/16/2020 at 10:36 AM, The_Chaplain said:

Those are some :censored: impressive orks for "quick" paintjobs brother.

Thanks man, really appreciate that :blush.:  I should clarify "quick" though, I have taken care to get them done to a good level but I have taken shortcuts in not doing highlights on most area's except the top of the models and letting the wash do a lot of the work and focusing more on faces and the shoulder armor as these are area's that get seen when you look down at the models on the table (I took a page out of Army Painter - Paul Nortons book on quick and efficient painting with his Iron Ravens army) 

It's actually quite difficult to stop painting them , I look and say oh I should highlight that boot or that strap etc...but then realise they wont get done if I do.

I should thank Warbringer for the skin colour though he says he got it from a Duncan/GW paint video, it gives a lot of contrast and pop without too much work!, Exactly what we want with Orks :thumbsup:

hoping to post the other 4 up in a day or two...:happy.: 

Cheers, Mithril  

Edited by MithrilForge
fixed broken emoji

Nearly Finished the last 4 boyz, but tried taking better pics of the first lot to test my camera skillz (they need to get better) here's the first 6 again but i think as a better shot...

med_gallery_9146_3140_44766.jpg

hopefully tomorrow the other 4 will join em!

Mithril

++EDIT++ I just see now the pics better I need to do the eyes on em ...doh :tongue.:

Thanks @ Dumah

the last 4 Boyz are done except for some touch ups, will take a big pic of em tonight after work.

med_gallery_9146_3140_219072.jpg

*sorry for the quickly taken potato pic..:facepalm:

Cheers, Mithril

Edited by MithrilForge
fixed broken emoji

They are looking great. 

What colour are you going to do the eyes? 

Just a Dot of mephiston red, nothing fancy but a dot will show some form of an eye, it's really hard to tell in pics but the helmet guys have red eyes...their helmets are so low over their brow you cant even see the eye's straight on :biggrin.: (really I think it's simply for if someone pics a model up and looks, they'll see eyes :happy.:

I think someone like Ghaz or a huge Nob you may need to paint a propa eye ….

Mithril

Alright!, I have officially finished my First Complete squad of Orks & My first real Complete Unit of 40k for 2020... happy to have finished some Orks, sad that this is the first complete unit of the year :mellow.: .but lets change that with a Waaaaaagh ! :tongue.:

The squad -

med_gallery_9146_3140_8722.jpg

The Choppy boyz-

med_gallery_9146_3140_72768.jpg

And The Shooty Boyz -

med_gallery_9146_3140_94287.jpg

Well that's them done,... Now it's onto the MegaTrakk Scrapjet...:smile.:

Cheers, Mithril

+ TRANSMISSION INTERRUPTED +

+ SIGNAL RECEIVED +

+ BEGIN FEED +

"OY! YOO LISTENIN' BRUTHA? I'M CAWWIN' YOO OUT MIT'RIL! I see yoo der wit aww yor boyz 'round ya, BUT DATS AWW YOO GOT AINT IT BRUTHA? Yor 'ordes got boyz EH! Ya, reaww good lookin colorz der too. But wherez yo BOSS brutha? Yor 'orde aint nuddin but steppin' stone brutha. Well lemme teww ya sometin brutha, when da Hulk Crusha comes ta yor city brutha, when da smoke cleahz all YOR boyz'll be wearin' MOY colorz. DEN WHUT YA GONNA DO BRUTHA WHEN MOY ORKAMANIAKS RUN WILD ON YOOOOOO!"

+ TRANSMISSION LOST +

So managed to get the unit of Nobz together, this kit is chock full of good Orky gubbinz, it's been years since I put Orks together and these Big Boyz were fun to work on... though those Mould lines :confused: ...

here's the proof of life potato pic -

med_gallery_9146_3140_238778.jpg

The Nob in the middle back was fun , I cut up a bladed shoulder pad and stuck it to his helmet, very Mad Max (fury road) I think :cool.:

cannot wait to undercoat these boyz and slap some Green on em..

Cheers, Mithril

Edited by MithrilForge
fixed broken emoji