Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Warhammer 40,000 App details

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
610 replies to this topic

Vassakov

Vassakov

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,072 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves

https://www.warhamme...u-need-to-know/

Sounds good, but £3.99 a month is... more than enough. 

The darks greatest gift is the light itself: as days are defined by the nights that divide them, as stars are defined by the infinite dark through which they wheel, the dark embraces the light, and brings forth from the center of itself. With each victory of the light, it is the dark that wins.

The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.

Skywrath

Skywrath

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,303 posts
  • Faction: Grey Knights, Adeptus Custodes

Meh, I'll just use battle-scribe.

• Firedrake Cordova, Jack of the Pelt, Slayer le Boucher and 14 others like this
7DtmK1a.pnge2ZWJbt.pngt44uaS0.pngIJKynoL.pngtFMKXdu.pngAhRNilX.png

G8Keeper

G8Keeper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,202 posts
  • Faction: Angels Repentant
£3.99 is good but has diminishing returns as each codex is updated (you get all 8th edition codex rules included).

I'll definitely use the free version.

Edited by G8Keeper, 09 July 2020 - 03:45 PM.

gallery_3547_15792_6078.pnggallery_3547_15435_7258.pnggallery_3547_15792_4794.png

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,610 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines
Hmmm how will my local GW react to me never buying a codex again if I get this app?

Edit:

Ignore me. I've just seen that you still need to buy a new 9th edition book to Unlock it in the app

Edited by Ishagu, 09 July 2020 - 03:47 PM.

• G8Keeper, Aothaine and Gendo like this

-~Ishagu~-

krakjen

krakjen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 253 posts

I'll use the app for the codices but I'm not paying 55€ a year for a Battlescribe clone.

• mithrilforge, RolandTHTG, templargdt and 9 others like this

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,610 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines
I'm open minded about this.

It could be amazing and intuitive, and far better than Battlescribe. But we don't know yet.
  • Aothaine likes this

-~Ishagu~-

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,697 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment
So if I have Codex Space Marines and Codex Adepta Sororitas, I cant get them in the app, because they don’t include codes? Or all current codexes are available and you ‘upgrade’ as new ones are released?

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

01RTB01

01RTB01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,044 posts
I'll stick with excel/ Google sheets for my lists.

However, happy that buying a hard copy gives free digital copy of a codex.
  • SteveAntilles likes this
Signature not compliant with forum rules.
Hidden Content

Lemondish

Lemondish

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,544 posts
I love this. Finally!
  • Black Blow Fly likes this

Triszin

Triszin

++ INTERFECTOR ROBUSTUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,965 posts
I wonder if the codex also unlocks your army builder regardless if you pay for the app or not?
banana

chapter master 454

chapter master 454

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,279 posts
  • Faction: Angels of Justice

Agreed. Unless they decide to pull a xenos scumbag move, battlescribe will remain the go to app. I can just use my E-book reader to reference rules (or you know, read and memorise them!).

If they made it something like 2 buck or less, it might of been tempting. That or have an annual fee of 20 bucks might of been nice but hey, got to make money somehow. Problem is people already have so many subscriptions to handle that many people need subscriptions to be cheap. Not like its 10 bucks but still, 4 notes for an app that is just a battlescribe dupe. Not to mention, if it doesn't do points (and only does power levels) then it will be DoA without question.

• G8Keeper, Roland Durendal, templargdt and 1 other like this

I Chapter Master 454, Chapter Master of the Angels of Justice, Warboss of WAAAGH Gubskul, Commander of a Catachan Regiment, Phaeron of a Tomb World, Shas'O to a Cadre and Princeps of a lance of House Taranis hereby pledge that I will not take up any further models til all other prior have been fully built and painted to tabletop standards. There is no time limit for this task, there is no deadline. My oath is to solemnly complete the armies I have now, to see it that they can have their glory. Paint will be stripped from the old in need, thick may it be like ceramite I will see it removed so that plastic and metal alike may see light of new paint. Models yet to be, boxed and in darkness will be assembled with due care and attention. For this task I am permitted to still buy the supplies needed to do my task but not one model more.

http://www.bolterand...one-model-more/ the thread to my oath. My own reminder.

http://www.bolterand...rk-in-progress/ my own chapter
"The objective of playing a game is to win. The point of playing a game is to have fun. Never confuse the two"

Borbarad

Borbarad

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 248 posts
If the usability is better than battle scribe, I’m willing to shell out $3.99
  • quasistellar likes this

MechaMan

MechaMan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 141 posts

So if I have Codex Space Marines and Codex Adepta Sororitas, I cant get them in the app, because they don’t include codes? Or all current codexes are available and you ‘upgrade’ as new ones are released?

"the rules from every current in-print codex and supplement will be included in the app from day one... This is future-proof too: as new codexes are released, older ones will be removed and can be replaced using the code you get when you buy the new print version. All future rules updates, including errata, will be reflected in the app as well, so you’ll always be up to date."

I'll stick with excel/ Google sheets for my lists.

However, happy that buying a hard copy gives free digital copy of a codex.

This seems a real plus.

Edited by MechaMan, 09 July 2020 - 03:54 PM.

• 01RTB01 likes this

Noserenda

Noserenda

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,328 posts
  • Faction: Scythes of the Emperor

Ooof yeah i was hoping it wasnt going to need a subscription, that prices it out of my market though it may be worth it if you religiously buy codexes, though that said if you religiously buy codexes youll get them all in the app for free as they roll out in 9th correct? 

G8Keeper

G8Keeper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,202 posts

All current codexes will be available to subscribers I think it says.

I can't see a reason to subscribe and ditch the free battleacribe unless they suddenly get hit by a GW cease and dessist.
  • pawl likes this
gallery_3547_15792_6078.pnggallery_3547_15435_7258.pnggallery_3547_15792_4794.png

Burni

Burni

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,263 posts
The sub is a bit more than I was hoping but it’s still less than trip to a coffee shop, so I’ll give it a go. Although until the new Codex are out or the list builder is in, it’s not worth the sub.

I hope the UI is good (I don’t like BattleScribe on mobile) and that there’s an iPad layout.

Curious about the single use codes. Gonna have to make sure you get shrink wrapped copies of books in future!

Redcomet

Redcomet

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 492 posts
A subscription? Come on... talk about greedy much
  • G8Keeper, Slayer le Boucher, Azekai and 1 other like this

G8Keeper

G8Keeper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,202 posts

The sub is a bit more than I was hoping but it’s still less than trip to a coffee shop, so I’ll give it a go. Although until the new Codex are out or the list builder is in, it’s not worth the sub.

I hope the UI is good (I don’t like BattleScribe on mobile) and that there’s an iPad layout.

Curious about the single use codes. Gonna have to make sure you get shrink wrapped copies of books in future!

Yeah that's going to be interesting customer service wise if you buy your codex from a FLGS and the code is either missing or already used.
  • Lord Raven 19 likes this

Dulahan

Dulahan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 750 posts
  • Faction: Custodes, Eldar, Admech

LOL.  No.  Way too pricey.

I'll stick with Battlescribe, even more especially since I tend to list build on my computer.  I only rarely even pull it up on my phone, and only then if a unit is one I know had changes from the dex version and I didn't print it off or forgot the printout at home.

I'd do a one time purchase of 15-20 dollars for sure.  But just no way whatsoever that much a month.  this doesn't even come close to the equivalent of having a streaming service.  Hard pass.

Edited by Dulahan, 09 July 2020 - 03:58 PM.

• templargdt and Skywrath like this

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,110 posts

Personally I think this is great!

£3.99 is less than a premium coffee.

If the rules integration is anything like the old digital editions of the Heresy books and that is embedded into an army list - it'll be AMAZING!

Anyone expecting all rules for free was probably a bit hopeful.

MechaMan

MechaMan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 141 posts

It's essentially the price of one limited edition codex for a years subscription.

I'll have to wait and see it but to be honest I'd rather pay a small subscription for a really good, helpful app - than have a free one that is a bit useless, like combat roster. 

• quasistellar likes this

Dolchiate Remembrancer

Dolchiate Remembrancer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,749 posts
  • Faction: CSoV, TSons
How soon until GW forces Battlescribe to ban anything that has to do with Warhammer on it?
  • Slayer le Boucher likes this

Segmentum Ultima::Dolchiate Sector ++Tales of Warfare in a Sector of the 41st Millennium++
IA: Crimson Sons of Vengeance(BA Successor) ++ IT: Thrallband Tusmah(TS Thrallband)

ETL_Medal_03.gif ETL_Medal_04.gif  gallery_29004_10383_212.pnggallery_62972_10568_30745.jpggallery_48988_10069_9408.pnghPRn0FW.pnggallery_48988_13169_15439.png

Skywrath

Skywrath

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,303 posts
  • Faction: Grey Knights, Adeptus Custodes

I'm open minded about this.

It could be amazing and intuitive, and far better than Battlescribe. But we don't know yet.

Personally, considering how expensive and overpriced some of the GW stuff is (I fully acknowledge they have products that are good), I am loath to pay 100 AUD (55 pounds a year) to something that battle-scribe does for free and not so obnoxiously. In fact, I don't ever recall a time where battle-scribe had an issue, (however take this with a grain of salt, as I've been playing for a few months). If this app was free, with the options to purchase codexes, without the subscription fee, maybe I'll be more receptive. But until then, I just see greed, greed and more greed, which is a fairly big turn-off, imo.

• mithrilforge likes this
7DtmK1a.pnge2ZWJbt.pngt44uaS0.pngIJKynoL.pngtFMKXdu.pngAhRNilX.png

Sete

Sete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,884 posts
3.99? What? No thank you.
I dont know what coffee's you guys are drinking, but im sure as hell ain't paying 3.99 for an expresso.

I would pay up to 2. Not interested on paying 3.99 a month.

Let's do it like this Gee Dubs.

Release a god damn BT supplement with a model and sprue and I'll subscribe for 5 years.

Edited by Sete, 09 July 2020 - 04:08 PM.

• Noserenda, templargdt, Calgar 2.0 and 5 others like this

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,010 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's Children

Digital rules for free with the book is great. Not enthusiastic about paying a subscription fee. This is something I'll pass on initially and see what folks say about it over time

• mithrilforge, 01RTB01 and Lord Raven 19 like this

bRxSYDV.png

Emperor's Children 22ᶮᵈ Millennial

Sons of Horus 29th Company

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users