Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Warhammer 40,000 App details

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
610 replies to this topic

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,111 posts

A second point to make for the subscription:

For £3.99 you'll have all of the updated points from Chapter Approved, the moment it launches for the entire 8th ed codexii and supplements.

Which is probably a lot cheaper than buying Chapter Approved.

• Talbaz likes this

Sete

Sete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,903 posts

For £3.99 you'll have all of the updated points from Chapter Approved, the moment it launches for the entire 8th ed codexii and supplements.

For how long?

After a while you are better off buying the book.

Edited by Sete, 09 July 2020 - 04:09 PM.

• Slayer le Boucher, MechaMan and Skywrath like this

AenarIT

AenarIT

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 325 posts
  • Faction: Tau Necrons SM

No way that GW manages to prevent BS from having their rules on it. BS is decentralised, even if they do remove them, the 40K community is incredibly petty and this would only encourage people to create, maintain and distribute 40K repositories from elsewhere.
They either buy BS altogether or they have no chance of forcing us to use a £4 per month app. 

The only way is to make it such a good app that it's worth the subscription price. 
Needless to say, I'm not that confident that they can do it (they are even postponing the launch, previously planned for Saturday and now "in the next few weeks").

• Avicenna, Noserenda and Volt like this

Captain Incompetence

Captain Incompetence

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 100 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords, Imperial Guard

Am I the only one who's confused about this subscription model? If I buy a new codex and insert the code into the app, don't I get all stats and rules without paying for a subscription fee every month? Or do you get all the rules from every codex with said subscription fee even without paying for the codex?

MechaMan

MechaMan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 151 posts

It doesn't seem to mention Chapter Approved updates does it? It only mentions Codexes coming with codes and rules updating with erratas. 

Edit to clarify question: So you buy a codex, you get a code to unlock a digital version in the app that will reflect all future rules updates, including errata. Will that also include Chapter Approved updates, which makes the subscription fee more attractive, or will you still have to buy Chapter Approved separately, which will presumably come with its own code?

Am I the only one who's confused about this subscription model? If I buy a new codex and insert the code into the app, don't I get all stats and rules without paying for a subscription fee every month? Or do you get all the rules from every codex with said subscription fee even without paying for the codex?

You pay the subscription fee to have the benefit of a ditized, live version of the 9th edition codex you purchase separately on the app it seems. With all of the 8th edition codexes available for the subscription fee. 

Edited by MechaMan, 09 July 2020 - 04:20 PM.

Sete

Sete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,903 posts
I would like to have a store option at least for digital dex. Buying physical to unlock makes little sense for me when I'm trying to go digital.

Hopefully they will improve the app and the sub price. A disapointment. Was really keen for it.

Lemondish

Lemondish

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,545 posts
I absolutely hate Battlescribe with how poorly it is maintained and how terribly designed the interface is, so I am so happy to get the option for a better version and will gladly pay for it.

I'm kind of surprised that people are going to stick with Battlescribe. It's such a mess to use for referencing data sheets. I'm glad to finally get something like this from a truly official source, but I guess if people are still pirating codexes for rules these days then it doesn't surprise me that most prefer the unofficial free version of their army rules in an app.

Which won't affect me much - not many in my area trust Battlescribe for rules questions anyway. Gotta have the book.
  • Avicenna, wildweasel, Borbarad and 3 others like this

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,111 posts

For how long?

After a while you are better off buying the book.

Well CA is usually about £20.

So that's at least 5 months worth of points, taking you to the end of the year - AND you get (hopefully) the best army building app for the game included.

Dulahan

Dulahan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 750 posts
  • Faction: Custodes, Eldar, Admech

And frankly, if Battlescribe has to shut down?  Still a hard pass.  That's when Excel or just plain old school  pencil and paper + calculator list building will happen. 

• mithrilforge, Interrogator-Chaplain Ezra, SteveAntilles and 6 others like this

RedFox

RedFox

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 810 posts
What a joke, this is bound to fail. People will just continue to use Battlescribe with all the codexes rules for free...
  • Inquisitor Eisenhorn, 4ndroid and crimsondave like this

Shinespider

Shinespider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,064 posts

I suspect that if you would otherwise buy Chapter Approved every year, plus one codex or psychic awakening-style book every year, the cost probably works roughly in your favor. 

Plus... how legal is Battlescribe? Is there any chance GW will take action to get it delisted from app stores once they have a viable alternative?

I mean, it does give you rules for free that you'd otherwise have to pay for. It's just pirating the book with a middleman. 

Edited by Shinespider, 09 July 2020 - 04:28 PM.

Call_of_Chaos_11_Banner_02.jpg

No Foes Remain

No Foes Remain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,204 posts
  • Faction: See signature plan

So £3.99 a month doesn't sound too bad however that's £47.88 a year, I'm just going to keep using battlescribe for list building and use the free parts of the app.

• Slayer le Boucher and Lord Raven 19 like this

10th Expeditionary Fleet 'Legion of Terra'    18 Legiones Astartes detachments from all active Legions; Geno One-Four-One Akkad; 13th Solar Auxiliary Cohort 'Black Scorpions'

sml_gallery_48988_16053_16940.png  sml_gallery_48988_16053_4278.png  sml_gallery_48988_16053_22349.png

194th Company, 19th Chapter, Ultramarines Legion - 'Ultimas of War'; Halcyon Dominion's 3rd Spartii Imperialis Auxilia Regiment; Knight House Cousland

Sons of Horus 38th Company

-----

Astral Claws 5th Company; XII Tyrant's Legion

Adeptus Praetorii: Void Angels, Ultima Wardens, Crimson Saints  Adeptus Astartes Chapters

Order of the Amethyst Tower; Halcyon Dominion Militarum Forces; Knight House Cousland; Forge Fiefdom Orzarm

Void Knights Chaos Chapter

wildweasel

wildweasel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,702 posts

If the usability is better than battle scribe, I’m willing to shell out $3.99

That's a low bar indeed ;)

• SteveAntilles likes this

SvenIronhand

SvenIronhand

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 96 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves, Ultramarines

GW definitely could've done this better.

• Inquisitor Eisenhorn likes this

Fulkes

Fulkes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,323 posts
  • Faction: Templars, Sisters, Chaos
I love how they're handling rules updates in the app for the future so I'll likely grab it for easy reading during games, but I'm on the fence about the list builder. If it's less clunky than Battlescribe is on mobile I am all for it.

Oh, and mywarhammer.com is up, but it looks like you can't sign up yet.

My company inform me that their new primaris brother just don't fit in the safety harnesses. And the Chaplain won't let us ride unless we buckle up.

NTaW

NTaW

++ SUSPECTAVI VENEFICI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,601 posts
Monthly subscription cost?

*cracks open notebook and clicks pen

Glad that it exists though, it really is a huge step in the right direction for GW to have this app. I'll check it out when it's released but it's unlikely to replace my existing method for list building and mid-game lookups.
  • Firedrake Cordova, Avicenna, mithrilforge and 1 other like this

Kain Mor

Kain Mor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 441 posts
  • Faction: Astra Militarum, Night Lords
I’m pleased that codexes will come with a code to register on the app.
  • MechaMan likes this

Dark Shepherd

Dark Shepherd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,146 posts
Free version seems good to me but Im a stan for paper list building
  • Interrogator-Chaplain Ezra likes this

krakjen

krakjen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 253 posts

I suspect that if you would otherwise buy Chapter Approved every year, plus one codex or psychic awakening-style book every year, the cost probably works in your favor. 

Plus... how legal is Battlescribe? Is there any chance GW will take action to get it delisted from app stores once they have a viable alternative?

I mean, it does give you rules for free that you'd otherwise have to pay for. It's just pirating the book with a middleman. 

Battlescribe itself doesn't include any rules/points and is system-agnostic. It's basically just a generic army builder.

The game systems repositories are separate, community-driven github projects and completely free.

Those are the only thing GW could try to legally attack, but it will be a hard case,

I guess they could complain to github to have the projects removed for infringement, but they'll simply move to some other hosting service.

Edited by krakjen, 09 July 2020 - 04:34 PM.

• Firedrake Cordova, Slayer le Boucher, Fulkes and 3 others like this

Indefragable

Indefragable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,593 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

Does the subscription fee include 10th edition when it comes out July 2021?

• Slayer le Boucher and Larkyn like this

Call me Indy. It's less syllables.

gallery_93095_13980_27776.jpgETL_VI_Banner_Primus_Interpares_Astartes

Klod

Klod

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 294 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

If the subscribtion includes ALL the rules and ALL the fluff from the main rulebook, and it includes ALL the rules and ALL the fulff from ALL the codices, than I'll pay 4,50€ for it.

I always wanted to read through other codices, but didn't want to pay for an entire book just to read the fluff section.

I'll wait untill people make reviews of the app. GW is not known for making great apps, so it might be a buggy mess at the beginning. 

I hope there will be a yearly sub with a discount.

Edit: If I understand this correctly, you have to buy the codex to get the rules in the app even if you are a sub.

This is future-proof too: as new codexes are released, older ones will be removed and can be replaced using the code you get when you buy the new print version. All future rules updates, including errata, will be reflected in the app as well, so you’ll always be up to date.

That doesn't sound great. If you pay almost 5€ a month you should get all the digital codices for free I think.

Edited by Klod, 09 July 2020 - 04:41 PM.

• Indefragable likes this

MARK0SIAN

MARK0SIAN

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,831 posts
How is the army builder part not even ready yet?!?!

And what are you getting for that £4 per month once the codexes have been launched? Pretty much nothing that doesn’t cost less overall or is already free.

£3.99 is too much for this
  • Shovellovin likes this

gallery_86689_11936_21517.pngsml_gallery_48988_16053_22349.png

firestorm40k

firestorm40k

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,093 posts
  • Faction: Legion of Taurus
So unless I've misread this, it seems without subscribing you get:
- the core 40k rules
- your Codex (digitally) when you buy it
- updates/errata to your Codex

You just wouldn't get the army builder, the 8th ed. Codices, and some kind of interface that makes it 'easier' and 'faster' to find your army's rules.

So I think it's an app I'll get, just without the subscription (I'll still go to Battlescribe for list building).

If I've got that wrong, and you only get the Codex updates with the subscription, I might as well save my money and get Chapter Approved each year. Especially at £3.99 a month; £3 max would've made it a must-have for me.
  • mithrilforge likes this
My Chaos Marine project log, the (infamous!) Legion of Taurus: http://www.bolterand...arine-army-log/

Daynga-Zone

Daynga-Zone

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 140 posts
Will you still have to buy new books with the subscription? Such as 9e codexes, new forgeworld books, whatever the next round of psychic awakening rules update style books are a couple years from now? Or do you get all the rules for the game rolled into 1 subscription package for all factions and future rules/updates? If it’s the latter I’m totally fine with $5 a month. If you have to buy codes or digital copies of all the new books I won’t bother.

Lexington

Lexington

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,651 posts
  • Faction: Orks!

Pretty happy about this. Bless Battlescribe and its contributors for what they've done, but actually using it gives me a headache. It's a very developer-driven UI, and I say this as a developer. I used to pay for an Army Builder subscription, not really bothered by paying something similar for a solid, GW-backed app.

Tho, one question I'd like to see addressed - will Legends be included?

Edited by Lexington, 09 July 2020 - 04:48 PM.

• wildweasel likes this

gallery_23421_16101_14266.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users