Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Warhammer 40,000 App details

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
610 replies to this topic

Mr4Minutes

Mr4Minutes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 671 posts
I’m not even sure what subscribing really gets you. Starting with all the codexes could make it worth while for a bit, but eventually it’s diminishing returns. I’d personally pay 10$ if it gave you access to all be codexes. But paying for the privilege to add codexes I’ve also payed for is a little much for me.

I feel we’ve reached another situation where GW and it’s corporate management have found yet another way to milk money out of its 40k base. The AoS app lets you view all the data sheets for free. You don’t get the points, but at least you can reference stats.
  • InteraX likes this

War Angel

War Angel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,259 posts
  • Faction: Eagles Eternal
Warmachine has an app, you pay about $8 for an entire faction, and you get everything. One time fee....full rules... great game....
  • Firedrake Cordova, templargdt, Volt and 1 other like this
USMC based Space Marines, the Eagles Eternal check out their WIP blog at The Eagle Spire
gallery_45765_12339_49118.pngETL_2013_03_Custos_Fidei_03.jpg

tychobi

tychobi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 646 posts
How much to replace the utility of Battlescribe? Looks like 1000$ish for all the codexes. Plus 10$ a month for the rules. Any word on supplements like white dwarf and psychic awakening?

Kill Maim Destroy

Noserenda

Noserenda

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,328 posts
  • Faction: Scythes of the Emperor

Yeah as much as i hate to credit PP (Who are generally awful) their app was solid and a one time fee is a much better model for this sort of thing.

As a former sales coach, goddamn there are some terrible analogies in this thread  :D 

• Focslain, Inquisitor lorr, War Angel and 3 others like this

Lemondish

Lemondish

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,544 posts

I suspect that if you would otherwise buy Chapter Approved every year, plus one codex or psychic awakening-style book every year, the cost probably works in your favor.

Plus... how legal is Battlescribe? Is there any chance GW will take action to get it delisted from app stores once they have a viable alternative?

I mean, it does give you rules for free that you'd otherwise have to pay for. It's just pirating the book with a middleman.

Battlescribe itself doesn't include any rules/points and is system-agnostic. It's basically just a generic army builder.

The game systems repositories are separate, community-driven github projects and completely free.
Those are the only thing GW could try to legally attack, but it will be a hard case,
I guess they could complain to github to have the projects removed for infringement, but they'll simply move to some other hosting service.

Battlescribe is just pirating through a middleman, so naturally the community prefers it.
  • Borbarad and WandererTheta like this

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,610 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines
I agree with many of you that the price seems high, and it's ANOTHER subscription to add to (the following is my list not counting essentials like Internet):

Netflix
Amazon Prime
Audible
Disney +
YouTube
Now TV
PS Network
Nintendo Network
Various Patreons

But, and that's a big But, this app COULD be amazing to use, with a quick and clean interface and official, automatically updated rules. It might actually be worth it.
  • Felix Antipodes and Brokejaw Gutripper like this

-~Ishagu~-

Shovellovin

Shovellovin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 337 posts

Hard pass. I’m not shelling out $60 (or $76 if I use GW conversion rates) a year for a list building app. Nope. 

• Warhead01, templargdt and Azekai like this

Brokejaw Gutripper

Brokejaw Gutripper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 654 posts
So the list builder is in the subscription? Sneaky gitz...

Maybe once the kinks are worked out down the road and the new codices released the 5 or 6 USD might be worth it.

The free version is fantastic though, obviously.

Triszin

Triszin

++ INTERFECTOR ROBUSTUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,965 posts
It think it mainly comes down to how good the user interface is
  • andes, Felix Antipodes and Lexington like this
banana

Sete

Sete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,884 posts

I absolutely hate Battlescribe with how poorly it is maintained and how terribly designed the interface is, so I am so happy to get the option for a better version and will gladly pay for it.

I'm kind of surprised that people are going to stick with Battlescribe. It's such a mess to use for referencing data sheets. I'm glad to finally get something like this from a truly official source, but I guess if people are still pirating codexes for rules these days then it doesn't surprise me that most prefer the unofficial free version of their army rules in an app.

Which won't affect me much - not many in my area trust Battlescribe for rules questions anyway. Gotta have the book.

I suspect that if you would otherwise buy Chapter Approved every year, plus one codex or psychic awakening-style book every year, the cost probably works in your favor.

Plus... how legal is Battlescribe? Is there any chance GW will take action to get it delisted from app stores once they have a viable alternative?

I mean, it does give you rules for free that you'd otherwise have to pay for. It's just pirating the book with a middleman.

Battlescribe itself doesn't include any rules/points and is system-agnostic. It's basically just a generic army builder.

The game systems repositories are separate, community-driven github projects and completely free.
Those are the only thing GW could try to legally attack, but it will be a hard case,
I guess they could complain to github to have the projects removed for infringement, but they'll simply move to some other hosting service.
Battlescribe is just pirating through a middleman, so naturally the community prefers it.
What's your agenda?
Do you have stock on GW?

Edited by Sete, 09 July 2020 - 05:05 PM.

• mithrilforge, Arbedark, Vazzy and 2 others like this

ThePenitentOne

ThePenitentOne

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 792 posts
  • Faction: Sisters of Battle

It's funny; I'm not sure if it was here or Dakka that I saw most of the requests for this I saw, but there have been hundreds of threads wanting this, and yet responses are lukewarm at best.

I was always ambivalent.

I hate the culture of "Well, you can never truly own anything anymore, but feel free to rent it for the rest of your life."

Music subscriptions; movie subscriptions; e magazine subscriptions. What's that, our license for the content has run out? Oh, sorry, your favourite song/ movie/ show is no longer available. And since you never bought it, it's just gone. 

This app doesn't do what I wanted it to do, which is store my Crusade information. It's going to be the primary way I'm playing in 9th, so without the capacity to track my battle honours and scars, it isn't going to help me with list building at all.

And if the codices are in e-pub format, GW should have to pay us for the burden of storing that which we cannot read. I could get more value out of burning the one dollar bills I spent on ebooks- at least I'd have been able to cook a few meals. Maybe if I had a dedicated e-reader machine they may have displayed properly, but buying the machine in addition to the books was not supposed to be necessary.

I'll check out the free edition, cause I have nothing to lose. If I get reasonable reassurances that the dexes in question AREN'T epubs, maybe I'll subscribe? Of course, you probably lose all the 8th codices as soon as you stop paying. Because the 9th ed ones were unlocked with a code, they won't disappear, but who knows how fast the release schedule for 9th ed dexes will be.

• Firedrake Cordova, Warhead01, RolandTHTG and 4 others like this

Warhead01

Warhead01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,826 posts
  • Faction: The Deleted.

Completely unimpressed. 
I will not be using this as long as I can still get books and paper options. 

uberwolve 15/01/03 - 6/18/17  username replaced 

http://warhead01.blogspot.com/
Fix Bayonets! 
Hail Hail Freedonia! 

Sete

Sete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,884 posts
Comparing to the AoS app which I subscribe, this is just being robbed on broad daylight.

I pay 0.99 per month, got a digital store, a list builder with validation, rules, formations etc.

Why is this one 3.99?

Instead of spending 4 quid on a app give it to charity.

Edited by Sete, 09 July 2020 - 05:14 PM.

• Magos Takatus, mithrilforge, RolandTHTG and 7 others like this

lhg033

lhg033

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,387 posts

It'd be good if they do something like a code for  free year for those that buy the rulebook (or get it in Indomitus) as otherwise you are doubling up on this with the app at an even greater cost.

Free trials of the army builder part would be a good call too to see how well it works.

It's a nice to have and I'll definitely get the free version but £3.99 a month adds up to quite a lot for something i will not use often enough and to echo ThePnetientOne, I dont like the fact that if you only get this then stop you bascally lose the full rules at that point.

gallery_20758_7799_19457.jpggallery_21629_2989_32489.gif

Joe

Joe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,925 posts
If I remember correctly the AoS app is frequently criticised for not updating frequently enough - at the start of this year, Games Workshop hired additional staff to work on application development.

Presumably the extra cost comes from;

1) paying staff wages
2) content being updated more frequently

Who knows, though.

Edited by Joe, 09 July 2020 - 05:15 PM.

mkbKIlr.png

Father Mapple

Father Mapple

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 810 posts
  • Faction: Blood Suns

As an attorney who does copyright and trademark infringement as the occasional case and hobby wise, I've always been amazed that GW doesn't send cease and desist letters to places hosting things 4-6 times a years. By doing that, it buries the content so deep in tha interwebz toobz that it's hard for most people to find legible copies. There's no other origination place to get points, rules, statistics, and power level from except the books they own and print. If an app, repository, or information source has that information, it's easy copyright infringement. You win every time as long as the entity could be subpoena'd or served.

Is it worth the publicity and bad press? Maybe not. They're the business people. I'm just the legal counsel. I don't make those decisions.

But I'll pay at the beginning to see everything as I never got the Psychic Awakening book for Blood Angels. But after I get a 9th edition codex, I'll personally just do free app stuff. I don't play enough to need a good list builder. 

• Focslain, depthcharge12 and WandererTheta like this

Sete

Sete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,884 posts

If I remember correctly the AoS app is frequently criticised for not updating frequently enough - at the start of this year, Games Workshop hired additional staff to work on application development.

Presumably the extra cost comes from;

1) paying staff wages
2) content being updated more frequently

Who knows, though.

They already raised the prices this year. That should cover it ;)

Edited by Sete, 09 July 2020 - 05:21 PM.

Cryptix

Cryptix

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,257 posts
  • Faction: Dusk Raiders, Lords of Stone
I'll use the free version with the codexes, I dont need more for a list then the calculator on my phone anyway.
  • Dark Shepherd likes this

Well would you look at the time, it's zombie o'clock!
sml_gallery_55866_13614_5370.jpgL_T_3_2017_Badge_02_Chaplain.jpggallery_4664_12529_16642.jpggallery_60566_6038_377.gifCall_of_Chaos_10_Banner_02_Failed.jpg

G8Keeper

G8Keeper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,202 posts
  • Faction: Angels Repentant
They also made pretty darn good profits considering the global pandemic shut them down for a good while.
gallery_3547_15792_6078.pnggallery_3547_15435_7258.pnggallery_3547_15792_4794.png

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts
  • Faction: Order of Baal, Dal'yth Sept

I'm happy with the model they are going for, however I'm annoyed that it costs three times as much as the AoS version while with the AoS version you also get all the Datasheets for free already. GW definitely knows where the money is at.

Edited by Panzer, 09 July 2020 - 05:26 PM.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

depthcharge12

depthcharge12

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,820 posts
  • Faction: XVth Legion, Ist Legion

How soon until GW forces Battlescribe to ban anything that has to do with Warhammer on it?

Funny how that works when it isn’t in their interest? From what I hear with local laws they need to religiously defend their IP or risk losing it. Considering BattleScribe, recasters, and 40k costumers all profit in broad daylight while using the IP, GW might have issues upholding the C&D in court.
Sons of Horus painting log (3000+ points & Horus)

http://www.bolterand...rus-plog-horus/

Scars of Rangdan, Dark Angels Legion:

http://www.bolterand...79#entry4575179

Chronos1985

Chronos1985

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 85 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

I'm happy they are charging. It will incentivize them to update the app more frequently, which is my number one gripe I had on my yearly feedback form. I want a functioning game I feel confident in paying money for. An app is an elegant solution for quick fixes, and I've always suggested they charge to offset buying codexes. 

That being said, let's hope they do a better, faster job updating the game through this upcoming year. Fingers crossed.

Edited by Chronos1985, 09 July 2020 - 05:34 PM.

• Felix Antipodes likes this

Sete

Sete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,884 posts

How soon until GW forces Battlescribe to ban anything that has to do with Warhammer on it?

Funny how that works when it isn’t in their interest? From what I hear with local laws they need to religiously defend their IP or risk losing it. Considering BattleScribe, recasters, and 40k costumers all profit in broad daylight while using the IP, GW might have issues upholding the C&D in court.

In my defence I want to give them more money. They just dont want to release what I want :/
  • depthcharge12 likes this

Dark Shepherd

Dark Shepherd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,124 posts
Article says codes with codexes and supplements so faqs/errata will update automatically (which is good) but you still have to buy Chapter Approved for new points/datasheets and get a code for that too

£4/€5/€5 is a bit high BUT expecting to get every book and supplement that comes out for that price is a bit wishful

Mandragola

Mandragola

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,030 posts

I'll be subscribing to this. It looks a lot cheaper and more convenient than buying all the codexes, which is what I've done up to now.

C+C always welcome on my Titanic Plog. Should really be painting Crimson Fists.

gallery_48988_15151_9524.pnggallery_45765_12339_6416.pnggallery_48988_16045_14557.pngsml_gallery_48988_16308_6255.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users