Trying to ensure the charge

Lukoi

Swinging by to see if some of the more experienced SM among you can let me know if I'm leaving a stone unturned here.

BL: I like to ensure that my deepstrike package has the best possible chance to pull off the associated 9.1" charge, which really means a 10" leap. That's been degraded with 9th mildly, in that unless you have a strategy/trait that allows you to specifically, you arent trolling just the low die.

I've combed SM info as best I can and I see the following tools available, but wanted to ask if there is something I'm missing:

Hungry for battle adds 1"

Black Templars WLT Frontline adds 1" in 6" bubble

Imperium Sword WLT let's you reroll charges

White Scar Relic Plume of the Plains adds 1" in 6" bubble

Raven Guard has a jetpack that allows that model to reroll charges

Blood Angel's have a reroll relic, and another relic that's +1" for the bearing model

Lias Issadon adds 1" within a bubble

White scars have the Fierce Rivalry strat to roll 3 dice, discarding the lowest

Raven Guard has Strike from the Skies strat to add 1" for a single JP unit

White Scar Librarians can wrap manifest a +2" for one unit with 12"

Obviously canticle of hate is great, but having the chaplain in position close enough to bubble an incoming deepstrike is fairly prohibitive unless you are generally deep striking into or just in front of your own lines - kind of minimizes the value of such a flanking maneuver.

Are there any other SM tools I'm overlooking here. I dont expect to DS far into the enemy's rear every game, but being able to threaten it is very much part of my approach.

Thanks!

BT ran re roll charges, 1 or both dice. Part of the CT.

Add the WLT Frontline Commander, probably the best chapter to ensure a charge, without any extra cost involved.

Fraters will correct me if im wrong.

Ah righteous zeal, I forgot that one, thanks.

You only need to roll a 9 to charge from 9.1", since you succeed if you end within 1" of the target.

With their 3d6 charge strat, +2 from a psychic power, and +1 from Plume, White Scars are probably the best at guaranteeing charges from deep strike. A successor with Hungry For Battle gets another +1 on top of that. You could even bring Guilliman for yet another +1 (+5 total), but that seems silly.

Just Canticle of Hate and a 9e CP reroll gives you an 83% chance of making a 9" charge, and that's easily available to any chapter. With a 12+d6 advance for a jump pack, or 20" flat for the new bike chaplain, it's not excessively restrictive on positioning.

RG also have the Raven's Blade stratagem allowing you to re-roll charges against one specific unit (and only that unit.) 

For me, one assisting ability (whether it's +1/2 to charge distance or re-rolls) doesn't quite get you to a reliable enough charge to be worth risking it, considering the weakness of many deepstrikers outside of combat. The Goonhammer article on probability has a good chart for this plus info on how re-rolls and other buffs assist. I'll reproduce them here:

Range_Image.png

The stats in the article (the table didn't paste properly) show a 28% chance with no modifiers, with a full re-roll on fail bringing it to a 48%, and roll 3D6 like Blood Angels buffs have gets you to 74%, I don't think that even takes into account being able to pick the highest.

Obviously we don't have access to the 1 die CP re-roll anymore either, the re-roll strat forces both dice as you noted. The fact that it still exists means we don't necessarily need a re-roll ability as much as a +distance one (unless you're trying to save CP, but we get more this edition.)

My take on it is that outside of BA, RG are an especially good choice because of Master of Ambush. With that you can get a Chaplain on board turn 1 and close enough to get into a combat without even using Canticle of Hate; then if he survives till turn 2 when your deepstrikers arrive, he can use that litany in concert with a CP re-roll or Raven's Blade to ensure they make it in. A Chaplain on a Bike or Jumppack could also be an option.

On the other hand I've also been looking at Tartaros terminators, which seem fast enough to hoof it around to objectives, have a solid firebase and can receive charges well. Picking a unit that doesn't need to make a charge on arrival as badly could be a good plan B.

Edited by Alcyon

White Scars Successor, Hungry for Battle. Chaplain with Jump Pack or the upcoming Primaris Chaplain on Outrider bike with Plume of the Plainstrider. Make the Chaplain Master of Sanctity give him two niche Litanies. Having Hungry for Battle and the Plume grants +2 to advance and charge. On the turn you want to charge you drop Greyshield warlord trait and choose the White Scars Chapter trait on top of your own. Assault Intercessers now have a MASSIVE threat range of 6” move d6+2” Advance and a 2d6+2” Charge, assuming the Chaplain is in range. Your Chaplain can move 14” and Advance 8” THEN charge for 2d6 + 2”. If your deepstriking units those units need to deepstrike within 28” of the Chaplain, Move + Advance + Aura, or if you are really sure of your charge range even farther.