Hunters or Intercessors?

Blank Dave

I'm going to try getting back into things, what with 9th coming out. I have about a full company's worth of 3rd gen marines. (6 tact, 2 ass, 2 dev, 2 raiders, etc) And a lot of the characters are first generation figures. Most of the squads have their heavy and special weapons magnetized, as well as the assault squads packs. Now my sergeants do need cleaning up/replacing as I slapped what ever I wanted on them.

The question I'm looking to ask is: Do you think I should tidy up/revitalize what I have (re-arming the sergs, reorganizing the squads, and try to chase down some razorbacks) knowing they're being phased out? Or should I look at investing in the new boys?

If I go new, should I get SC Primaris Wolves, Saga of the Breast, or wait for Indominus?

There is plenty of scope for using your old units. Grey Hunters are reasonably competitive compared to Intercessors (or at least they were with 8th edition points, we will have to wait and see what the new points costs are in 9th). However for new purchases, I would probably look for Primaris units.

A squad of Hunters in a Razorback is slightly cheaper than a squad of Intercessors in an Impulsor. The Hunters have a slight edge on damage output as the RB is shootier and they can pack a plasma gun, combi-plas and plasma pistol in a 6-man squad. The Intercessors are tougher having twice as many wounds and a 4++ save on the Impulsor. They are also a bit more manoeuvrable as the Impulsor can fly and move faster.

In melee, The Hunters all have chainswords with will give them AP-1 in melee which is slightly better than Intercessors. However an Intercessor pack with the Veteran Stratagem has a leader with 4 attacks (5 on the charge). Give him a Thunder Hammer and he can hit almost as hard as a Captain from most other Chapetrs. :biggrin.:

The mission rules we have seen so far make it look like holding objectives for multiple turns will be key. Tough Troop units will be important in 8th so I think a mix of Intercessors, Incursors and Infiltrators will work well for Wolves.

One of each at least.

1 GH pack, 1 IC / AIC pack

to taste for both, in rides

The single biggest problem is that with four of these, 2 Gh's and 2 IC's packs, one can send forwards 1 GH and 1 IC pack, the Impulsor attempting to screen for the Rhino / Razorback, so that the GH pack can arrive and assault, with the IC's shooting or AIC's assaulting beside the Gh's. Make sure the GH's all have ACSwds; it's going to be worth the performance, might cost +1 Pt. however it should be well worth it!

As it looks right now from my test games and from the general flow in missions is that board control armies are going to be boss.

I have had success using 2 to 3 drop pods filled with 2 5 man units. 1 will have some devs/long fangs. Which I have tossed in a chief Apothecary or wolf priest often.

Each drop pod with marines after deployment will create a 15 in radius of deepstrike/outflank denial area when you factor in the base, 3 in disembarkment and 9in exclusion from marines

Edited by Debauchery101

If you have someone you can split Saga of the Beast with then I would definitely go with that. Ragnar done well in the change to 9th and he is still a very points efficient blender, also the incursors are no joke in combat. Their ability to forward deploy is going to be tremendously helpful in 9th edition and early board control for grabbing and holding those objectives.