Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Alcyon's Revenants Chapter 2nd Co. (Primaris RG Successors)

- - - - - Raven Guard Painting Modelling Primaris

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Alcyon

Alcyon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,291 posts
  • Faction: Revenants Chapter

Finally "finished" some miniatures so I figured it was time to make a progress thread. The Primaris sculpts are so awesome and appealing for someone whose rusty painting skills were never that great to begin with, and I always loved playing Space Marines anyway. In the past I started with Black Templars and then vanilla but this time around the redeployment tactics, general ruleset and concepts of the Raven Guard really drew me in.

However I can't stand the whole pale emo vibe or the bird obsession, and power armour is so flat I really didn't want to paint them totally black. I also have a weird obsession with codex-adjacent heraldry so I wanted to go with a DIY chapter and pave my own colour scheme. I started with the beloved Space Marine Painter and ended up with this:

Tactical Grey Shoulder Trim

As LutherMax's Raptors so beautifully demonstrate, yellow is a great highlight colour and I think a good starting point for figuring out how to incorporate rank into the helmet designs of HQs. I also started out wanting a white lower helm, but decided to make the "inside" colour black to reduce steps required on the inner surfaces of the minis. Of course, no paint plan ever survives contact with the enemy (bare plastic)... I picked up the Vanguard Start Collecting box and got to work.

Been working on these guys for about six weeks now. The highlights are very sloppy still despite lots of touch-ups but I am generally happy with the workflow for each area of the mini. Starting with Phobos is a pain, there are so many bits all over them - I think Intercessors will be a relief by comparison. Here's Lieutenant Abraxas and his Infiltrators; not the greatest iPhone photos, some faces out of focus.

IMG 1856

IMG 1858

IMG 1859

IMG 1860

Anybody know how I can get these to embed as larger images from my B&C Gallery?

Next on the docket is the Suppressors and Infiltrators, and then some Intercessors, a Primaris Captain and an Invictor Warsuit. Plan is to paint the Intercessors up as Veterans and use MoA to get them and the Captain onto some prime objective, supported by the Invictor and Infiltrators. My buddies' armies are full of power armour and include Blood Angels, so I think I'll need some Plasmaceptors before too long too.

Edited by Alcyon, 11 July 2020 - 11:47 PM.

• Race Bannon, Dracos, FinalCookie and 1 other like this

Alcyon

Alcyon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,291 posts
I really like the crackle paint as an easy basing method and a good contrast to the dark armour. It is a huge pain in the ass trying to daub it on without getting it all over the minis' boots, so I may start gluing them on over top and hoping there's enough superglue to hold them to the base overtop of the flakes.

Mars Basing Test

As you can see I did a few drybrush and shading steps to see how it turned out. Khorne Red is way too bloody, and Agrax Earthshade left them looking shiny and wet which makes no sense. Drybrushing with Evil Suns Scarlet is close to what I want but still looks a bit unnatural as it's not really darker than the base colour. I'm going to pick up some Kindleflame and give that a shot, and next time I'll put elastic bands around the rims of the bases while applying so I don't have to trim off overflow and repaint. 

Next challenge is figuring out what to do with the Eliminators camo-cloaks. I know Tuskgor Fur is supposed to be pretty close in colour to the Martian Ironearth, but frankly I don't really like the idea of extending the base colour onto the minis directly (or painting some kind of block Martian camo.) I think many armies that focus too much on realism or just pick flat colours really struggle to stand out on the tabletop and so I'd like some contrast between the cape, model and base. I may actually paint them Zandri Dust or something.

• Lukoi likes this

Dracos

Dracos

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,951 posts
  • Faction: Primaris Warhawks
Really nice work on the models and the red base is perfect contrast.
  • Alcyon likes this

sml_gallery_7985_14167_21284.png  gallery_48988_10069_135.png  gallery_48988_15465_8206.png  gallery_87434_12256_5320.png  sml_gallery_7985_15940_5720.jpg  

war009

war009

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,261 posts
  • Faction: Raptors/ Grey Knights/ Sisters
Awesome work man
  • Alcyon likes this

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 11,970 posts
  • Faction: Catachan Wolves
Excellent work on the Infiltrators.

Edited by Bjorn Firewalker, 12 July 2020 - 07:58 PM.

• Alcyon likes this
Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)

Warhammer 40,000+ Star Wars- Rian Johnson- Reylo= AWESOME! (Knights of Renaissance)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement) or the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Lord Raven 19

Lord Raven 19

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 389 posts

Camo cloaks look cool when done with the base colour and splatted with an old toothbrush with a lighter and darker tone. A wash then ties it together a little. I found a foot or two a good distance to splat from.

• Alcyon likes this

Lord Raven19

Lord of Deliverence and Scion of Tallarn; Baron of Krastellan; Champion of Mortarion; Lord under Abaddon.

Victorus aut Mortis

Master Issodon

Master Issodon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 40 posts

If you are going to attach the models to the bases after finishing them, but are worried they wont stick, pin them. Drill a hole in the bottom of the model's foot and glue a small section of wire or paperclip into it. Then drill a hole in the base and glue the model in place.

If you are worried about the technical paint flaking off, try sealing it with a mix of PVA glue and water (very watery mix) after it dries, but before you paint it. Just soak it into the brush and then 'drop' it on the dried flaky paint. Don't brush it, just let capillary action do the work.

Edited by Master Issodon, 12 July 2020 - 10:31 PM.

• Alcyon likes this

My Raptors Adeptus Astartes:

http://www.bolterand...tors-v-company/

Alcyon

Alcyon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,291 posts

Excellent advice all, and thanks for the kudos, I really appreciate it. Suppressors, Eliminators and Invictor underway. I love model assembly so much more than painting - seeing the results immediately is so satisfying! But I should save the rest of this assembly till I finish more minis. A lot of things to leave off for accessibility while painting.

IMG 1861

duz_

duz_

++ REPREHENSOR FECTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,980 posts
Looks good :yes:
Will we see any vehicles or flyers?

As for linking from the gallery check this how to out let me know if you have any other questions :tu:

http://www.bolterand...rom-bc-gallery/
Ninja'd u see the answer to my question now :lol:

Edited by duz_, 13 July 2020 - 03:43 AM.

Alcyon

Alcyon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,291 posts

Thanks Duz - I have always added them using the My Media button in the editor, but the thumbnails turn out so small. Wish I could embed them in a larger size.

Right now I don't plan on any vehicles or fliers at all (besides the Invictor.) I don't have an airbrush and the concept of painting something that large is a little daunting. I like my marines as infantry ;) I do like the Xiphon and the Stormtalon but fliers can't hold objectives, and tables being smaller and vehicles being able to shoot into combat I think Dreadnoughts/Warsuits are awesome. 

I've entertained the thought of 5 Hellblasters and a Captain in an Impulsor, but with the adjustments to points Plasmaceptors seem like a much more affordable option. Not really a vehicle but I did get an Indomitus box, so I'll be adding some Outriders, and a Vindicator isn't totally out of the question at some point.

• war009 likes this

Sergeant_Angle

Sergeant_Angle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 41 posts
  • Faction: Space Marines l Witch Hunters

I love the how that yellow stands out against the grey.

• Alcyon likes this

Alcyon

Alcyon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,291 posts
Took a break on the Invictor as I got to the point where I need to buy more magnets for the arm, and I think choosing a pose with so many movable parts is going to be a pain in the ass. I also have a game coming up this weekend, so I'm hustling to finish the Suppressors and Eliminators so I can field the full Vanguard box at ~500 pts. It'll the the first sortie of the Revenants so pretty exciting and I really want to field them fully painted and based (if not totally cleaned up.) 

109215694 349848693081225 2519202417944699118 N

I decided to just go with "parchment"/light leather for the cloaks as it's a strong contrast to the armour colours and the martian base. I might change it up later especially since it'll be weirdly close to the colour of purity scrolls, but thankfully Eliminators don't have those so it shouldn't be too obvious at first. 

Did some pinning to try and reinforce the flight stand/backpack joint; it's surprisingly hard to line up that connection. I thought about using a magnet between the model and its backpack to make it easier to transport them in two pieces, but I don't think it'll really add to their resilience. I'll probably just put them a pluck foam tray, vertically if they're short enough. 

Don't think this Patrol is going to be very powerful running the equivalent of 14 bolters and two Autocannons, but hopefully the Lieutenant and Storm of Fire will help them deal some actual wounds vs. Death Guard and Blood Angels (including possible tanks. Sadface.)

• war009 likes this

Alcyon

Alcyon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,291 posts

Played my first game ever with the Revenants today, 500pt patrol with the Start Collecting Vanguard box. We played it as 9th as much as we could based on the rules we could find, mostly the free Core Rules pdf. I don't think the box is an especially coherent mix of units but I wanted to get them on the table, even though I was expecting things to go particularly badly. The place we play has Necromunda sized tables (4x4) so we just rolled with that... A bit more square than the recommended 44x30" but I figured I needed all the space I could get. We played the Only War mission in the Core Rules book which had four objectives; we put one in each deployment zone and two across the mid-line of the battlefield. I got to pick my board edge and got first turn; we also decided to allow reserves on turn 1 as the turn 2 restriction doesn't seem to be present in the PDF.

Sixteen unblooded Primaris Revenants under Lieutenant Secundus Abraxas assembled as Vanguards for a training exercise, eager to study under one of the Imperium's foremost and honoured chapters, the Blood Angels. It was a hot, dusty day on the field of battle, a scarred Martian landscape littered with the burnt-out hulks of long decrepit Ministorum gasworks and slab-like rock formations.

In deployment, 4th Squad (Infiltrator) under Sergeant Setheus crept forward to seize an objective in the midfield, their sophisticated sensor helms picking up the raucous engine note and clanking treads of a Baal Predator. The 10th Squad under Sergeant Ouriel deployed atop a promethium derrick, giving clear lines of sight to a squad of gold-clad seraphs whose power swords shimmered the air above them, stark even in the baking heat: Sanguinary Guard. Meanwhile 9th Squad under Sergeant Harmas wrapped their camo-cloaks around themselves as they silently clambered up a red-dusted mesa, claiming an objective and bedding down their Bolt Sniper Rifles.

High above, Lieutenant Secundus Rann Abraxas was already falling, his grav-chute barely beginning to slow his descent. He kept one forearm pressed against the weapon on his chest, the servos supporting his ceramite vambrace locked as extra insurance beyond the maglocks clamping the weapon to his breastplate. It would not do to lose the Raven Guard's priceless Ex Tenebris on this brotherly bout.

Their silent advance had given the Revenants the initiative, but the sons of Sanguinius had cunningly positioned themselves mostly behind obscuring cover. Nevertheless, the council of Captains overseeing the exercise scored the Revenants two points for their dominance over two objectives, and a third for holding more than the Angels. Lieutenant Abraxas executed a perfect dustoff into cover beside 4th Squad, lifting only brief plumes of dust with the soundless touchdown of his boots as he murmured into a direct voxline. "Open fire." The Accelerator Autocannons of 10th Squad opened up on the gleaming forms of the Sanguinary Guard, but to no avail, shells the size of a man's leg deflecting and bursting harmlessly off of the master-worked armour. 

Jump pack turbines suddenly roared like thunder, triggered by the yellow lighting flare of autocannon fire. With the relentless glare, Sergeant Harmas had ordered his squad to switch their optical lenses to the cold blue of magnetic scan, searching for contacts on the highest gain setting. Now their optics whined and refocused as a grip of heavy ferrous shapes landed heavily not ten metres before them. Harmas chanted into the vox, "9th Squad, contact, contact," flipping his goggles up to see five black-clad warriors screaming towards him on contrails of white smoke, brandishing a coterie of power weapons.

Lt. Abraxas was beginning to request a sitrep when the marines next to him opened up with their Marksman carbines. A Blood Angel Chaplain, his helmet a stoic rictus, was soaring over the decrepit shack 4th Squad hunkered behind, a Sanguinary Ancient close on his heels. The crackling rounds of his thrice-blessed Angelus boltgun struck Brother Nebrith in the torso, the stun rounds paralyzing his left arm, but his helm and right hand stayed true as his bolter added to the chorus of his squad. The mass-reactive rounds scrubbed filigree and ceramite flakes off the breastplates and greaves of the arcing Angels, but none found their purchase. 

Neither did the fire of the "Death Company" catch any of the Eliminators, the shifting patterns of their cloaks disguising them in the ink black shadows of the towering mesa. However, the cloaks could not shield them from the enhanced eyes of the charging marines, now only metres away. The three snipers drew their stun batons but were swiftly felled as a rain of inactive power fists and thunder hammers connected with their lightweight armour.

Sergeant Ouriel swung the long barrel of his autocannon around, drawing a bead on the killers of Harmas' team when the whine of his squadmates jetpacks abruptly cut out. They dropped to the deck with their backs to a rusted out fuel tower as Assault Cannon shells stitched a line of dummy rounds into the crumbling metal. "Crow's luck," he muttered, cutting his hoverjet and joining them. The chattering of the smaller calibre sponson Heavy Bolters and pintle Storm Bolter seemed to come from all directions as the Predator's other weapons systems came to bear. 

The Chaplain and Ancient drew a heavy toll from the Infiltrators as 4th Squad drew batons to meet the charge, moving onto the upper level away from the objective. Two marines, then a third and fourth hit the deck limp as their armour servos cut out in response to the crack-zap of the low-power Crozius and Encarmine Sword. "In two, false flight, six metres!" called Abraxas as his armour-clad finger squeezed the scrimshawed trigger of the ancient boltgun. "Re-address in three beats!"

In the briefing pit, Captain Areche looked across the holodisplay at his brother Captain through the tops of his eyes. "Popped from the techpriests' wombs a little early, perhaps." The blond tresses of other transhuman shook gently as he chuckled. 

"You are too hard on them, Aol. Mine have only scored a single victory point, and our esteemed Chaplain has already abandoned the objective in his zeal."

"This is true. A technical victory is still a victory..."

"..if there are enough still standing to claim it," said Captain Raphaen, a mischievous grin splitting his noble, scar-free face.

Brother Knyx grabbed the hot barrel of his squadmate's autocannon and pulled it forward, aligning it with his own under the lip of the platform. The fusillade of shells had not let up, and the iron wall was beginning to disintegrate. But beneath it, the Suppressors had an angle on the Sanguinary Guard. With a nod from their sergeant, Knyx and Richram tightened their grips on the firing handles and let loose a hail of fire. Stun rounds finally hit home, knocking one of the shining warriors to the dust from mid-flight. Richram barked out a single, impulsive laugh, and his sergeant cuffed him with an armour-clad elbow. "Idiot. Keep shooting and maybe I won't tell the Lieutenant you squawked the vox."

Sergeant Setheus' tightly-drilled Infiltrators fared even better. As one, they bounded backwards as if driven back by the recoil of their coughing carbines. The sheer weight of concussive impacts began to lock and fuze the armour joints of the onrushing Angels, the hypervelocity shells of the Raven Guard's treasured weapon impacting like mailed fists among a hail of regular bolts. "Turn to six," said Setheus to the squad, his hand on his Lieutenant's pauldron. "Brace!" The seven remaining marines wheeled clockwise and levelled their carbines, none looking back as the frozen armour of the Chaplain and his bodyguard thunked heavily into the cracked earth.

Captain Areche's scar-lashed face creased into a grin. "One for the warlord. But I don't think they can hold."

"I think you're right this time," said Raphaen. "Not many left, I'm afraid."

"At least it's an honour to be crushed by the legendary Angels, eh?"

The Predator's cannons fell silent, which meant the Sanguinary Guard were probably already on them. Richram and Knyx hauled on their cannons, sending rust fragments flying as they tried to bring their guns to bear, but it was too late. Ouriel roared as he swung back his cannon, then threw it forward like a ram, striking a glancing blow against an impassive, benevolent mask. But he was already flanked by two, three others, striking him in the kidneys with their stun swords and driving him to his knees. The one he'd knocked knelt too, bringing his helmet to Ouriel's level. "I'd ask you to buff it out if I thought you'd do a decent job, Ouriel." Ouriel swore he could hear the Angel smiling. 

Abraxas flipped through optical filters, trying to draw a bead on the black shapes looming towards them through a cloud of dust. His helmet acquired a lock and he had begun to squeeze the trigger when a storm of rounds lashed his armour and spun him to the ground. In his peripheral vision he saw the remnants of 4th Squad raked with shells and collapsing in a series of sable heaps. All he could think about was how many individual pieces of sanctified armour plate made up the panoply of his patrol, and how long it would take to chisel and reforge each one when the captain assigned him disciplinary detail.

Wow, what a learning experience. A patrol-sized table is very, very small when your opponent's combat troops move 12" a turn. My Eliminators never fired a shot, and my Suppressors failed the bulk of their hit and wound rolls. I can't believe I piled in and stepped off an objective, but there were still two turns left after tabling me for the Angels to pick up plenty of VPs. 

I had really been thinking my Infiltrators would want to deploy up the board, but they were 9" from the enemy deployment zone so their Omni-scramblers couldn't protect them from a regular old jump pack move and charge. Their carbines do work, even against vehicles, but the RG CT, Smoke Grenades, cover, all protect against shooting and not assaults. Maybe against Tau or Guard I could deploy them aggressively to take board control, but against combat armies I feel like you have no choice but to turtle up in your deployment zone and try to get as many rounds of shooting as possible before they hit. The 12" deep strike denial is great and all, but for 220pts (before 9th ed adjustments!) it seems like a ton for a unit that won't be in range of shooting anything until the second or third turn at best. I'd be better off running three basic squads of Scouts at 165pts to get the same denial zone in deployment and five more bolters in the deal.

I should've listened to whoever told me they deploy their Suppressors into reserves. It would've been huge to have them come down on an objective in the enemy DZ once they'd already moved all their forces a foot or more towards me, and they wouldn't have gotten cornered between DC and Sang Guard with no escape route. They really just seem like a weird unit with a 12" move they don't want to use since it makes their 6 shots hit on 4s. I'd rather pay less points and just get an emplacement. 

LieuTenebris was great as long as he's far out of combat; it's easy to forget he has a 36" range and basically no CC weapon to speak of against power armour. And boy was it sad not to fire a shot with my Eliminators. The Instigator Carbine really took a hit with Overwatch costing a CP but it's way more useful than I had expected given the small tables and fast-moving assaulters. 

If I could do it all again, I would've castled up, made my DZ a deep-strike free zone and ensured sure my LT's aura touched every marine. I was too thin on the ground to hold more than a single flank. To be fair, I think the list he played was basically my worst nightmare for a 500pt game, the table size, 3d6 charge out of deep strike and the power of these close combat BA units is just insane at a low points value. I really wonder if there's a Patrol list out there for RG that compensates for the weaknesses of a mid-tier gunline. Maybe a lot of Vanguard Veterans? 

In any case, it was fun to get them (fake) blooded and it'll really make me re-evaluate my plans for expansion. I think I need a lot more bodies and a lot tougher armour if I'm going to hack it against BA without my own firstborn units. 

Edited by Alcyon, 21 July 2020 - 06:16 PM.

• war009 and duz_ like this

thewarriorhunter

thewarriorhunter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,030 posts
  • Faction: Spectral Sicarii (RG Succesor)

Really great stuff. As was suggested if you want to add models to the base later pinning them is the way to go. I have to pin all of my models because bases have to be made with no model on them.

Regarding your base color and how you felt Agrax looked too shiny, if you matte varnish your models when they're done that shine will get knocked back and you may end up liking the results. I had some washes I used to use that dried satin and a varnish with Dullcoat knocked them back to where I wanted.

Looking forward to seeing more!

Alcyon

Alcyon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,291 posts

Thank you! I think I will end up pinning them through a boot from now on, just to be able to use cork as a painting handle. I can always flake off some of the technical paint to make room for the boots too if I'm worried they won't adhere.

Re: the matte varnish, I do have some, I think the larger issue is the wash pools in places on the flakes and makes it look like they recently were rained on. The base underneath is already painted dark brown so I don't know if there's shading that really needs to be done on them. I might give the varnish a shot just to see how it looks, maybe thin the Agrax down a little too so it doesn't pool as much, but mostly I expect a Kindleflame drybrush to get me where I want to be at least for now. Modelling always feels like a compromise between how lazy and how committed to quality/the Codex Astartes you are, haha.

Despite fielding them I haven't finished the Eliminators or Suppressors yet, plan is to wrap them up this week just to have them done. I was looking forward to working on my Veteran Intercessors next, but my friend's Blood Angels apply so much pressure I think I have to pivot to tougher units. My Indomitus box arrives this weekend so I think I'll do the Eradicators next (should be pretty simple to paint) and then the Bladeguard, Chaplain and Lt. for some real punishment. Maybe the Intercessors after that, but from the results of this last game, I have a pretty low view of troops choices when not playing against Guard or Tyranids or something.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Raven Guard, Painting, Modelling, Primaris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users