Thoughts on that new carry case they are releasing

Bit of a oddball for such a release really, considering the size of the box contents this strikes me as odd to release something that seems more geared for Combat Patrol along side such a massive set.

Then again I suppose they also have those new weird board things now as well but I thought I would put it to my fellow fraters, a good idea or just a non-sense item with no purpose?

(hey, it can double as a dice tray :P)

Heh, please.

Keter ROC 22" toolbox, 40 EUR, made of metal reinforced high-impact resin, is water and temperature resistant, dustproof, comes with 25 years of warranty and swallows an entire shelf's worth of miniatures.

It has a horizontal carrying position, so you can worry less about the stuff inside shifting. It's got built-in latches so you can securely stack them on top of each other, and you can put a padlock on it for maximum security.

Only downside is, you have to buy and cut foam to build padding and holding trays for your figures. I'm in the process of finding a good source for it, and deciding exactly what kind of material would suit me best.

The best material I've used in my carrying cases has been just a memory foam mattress topper.  It's relatively easy to cut to the desired size and shape, it's pretty cheap, and it allows you to pack stuff in fairly tight, preventing the models from moving around.  It also is simultaneously soft yet stiff enough to absorb small impacts without damaging the models.  Just glue the layer of memory foam to a layer of conventional foam to make a "tray", and they can stack pretty easily. 

Edited by Impervious

I've never liked using foam. Takes paint/varnish/basing off.

Really?

I wish someone told me the figures crave self-destruction so much before I bought a bunch.

Here we are, playing a game with gamepieces that are so fragile, at best they could be display models, no touching allowed EVER.

It's the foam rubbing paint off the surface when you take models in and out that does it.

Varnish helps, but it wears out as well if you constantly push your minis into snug foam compartments.

Heck, there are gutar stands clad with foam that eat into the lacquer after a few months due to chemical reactions.

It doesn't have to be about craving self destruction, it's just that sometimes, the obvious, easy solution of using cheap-as-chips foam isn't the best way to go long term.

Edit: unless you weren't being sarcastic. In that case, use more glue :wink:

Edited by HighMarshalAmp

I've never liked using foam. Takes paint/varnish/basing off.

Really?

I wish someone told me the figures crave self-destruction so much before I bought a bunch.

Here we are, playing a game with gamepieces that are so fragile, at best they could be display models, no touching allowed EVER.

It's the foam rubbing paint off the surface when you take models in and out that does it.

Varnish helps, but it wears out as well if you constantly push your minis into snug foam compartments.

Heck, there are gutar stands clad with foam that eat into the lacquer after a few months due to chemical reactions.

It doesn't have to be about craving self destruction, it's just that sometimes, the obvious, easy solution of using cheap-as-chips foam isn't the best way to go long term.

Edit: unless you weren't being sarcastic. In that case, use more glue :wink:

Yeah I'm not sure if it was sarcastic or not haha. I mean use whatever works for you. I play chaos marine factions and have very involved bases, and the foam eats at the bases and all things spikey when putting them in and out. I got smart with my death guard in 8th and watched some guys YouTube video, he used some magnets and greenstuff/glue under the bases and put them in a metal toolbox. I got my plague marines, smaller characters and pox walkers in the top removable portion and some on the sides of the main, and have all my daemon engines in the main. I can hold the toolbox upside down and they don't move. Pretty convenient. Just don't get super big magnets. You'll pull your models off the bases before you pull the base off the metal haha.

I’ve used foam and magnets. Foam seems to take a lot of space for my use case. I’m trying to move away from foam. 

I like being able to use a cookie sheet to move an army without fear of damage. I haven’t figured out the long term storage implications, but think a storage set with maximum shelves is the answer.  

Edited by The Blood Raven

@coolbeans - with so many magnets, could there be problems if you're flying with your minis?

I don't think so. I knew someone who routinely air-travelled with his army, and he used magnet cases.

The most of an "issue" is he needed to pre-check his baggage for it, or if he couldn't inform the crew there that the case has a load of magnets in it, which might cause issues with scanning.

Funny anecdote about that: Apparently one time one of the TSA people didn't believe him, put the magnet case through the scanner, and all the magnets caused the scanner to not even work. Like, the scan of his case just had a blank void in it :lol:

@coolbeans - with so many magnets, could there be problems if you're flying with your minis?

I don't think so. I knew someone who routinely air-travelled with his army, and he used magnet cases.

The most of an "issue" is he needed to pre-check his baggage for it, or if he couldn't inform the crew there that the case has a load of magnets in it, which might cause issues with scanning.

Funny anecdote about that: Apparently one time one of the TSA people didn't believe him, put the magnet case through the scanner, and all the magnets caused the scanner to not even work. Like, the scan of his case just had a blank void in it :lol:

Ha! Bet they loved that [/sarcasm+worried emojiface]

I love rge Shapeshifter System of Phobos Foundry.

No foam, no magnets and alot of minis in a small space.

https://www.phobosfoundry.com/

This looks really great, too bad they are not currently in production
Maybe drop an Email. Normaly He is super kind in his replys.

Last year when i ordered his cnc mill broke down and until it got fixed He was very clear and open in his messages. Even asking if you want to cancel your order.

The only other thing i know is A-Case but thats Magnets again.

Edited by Bung

I've magnetized my models to avoid breakage. Between Chaos and AdMech there's just too many pointy bits and antenna for me to deal with foam. It's not paint damage, the stuff relentlessly catches and grabs at such details. If weight isn't an issue consider a 'rolling jewelry case' if you want something secure and really rugged. You do need to purchase a selection of modular trays to fit and then devise a metal plate of some sort to sit on the floor of the tray, but foam can also be cut-to-fit if that's preferred. It's the kind of case that takes a bit of investment and effort to bring together but compared to what you get from other solutions it's only a bit more expensive, it's a tank of a case that will take a beating, and the locks keep wandering fingers out of your stuff when your attention is elsewhere. I've got a shorter 15" one right now, but with my growing collection I'm going to be getting a 26" one at some in the near future.