5th ed battle salamanders VS nids 2k

mughi3

Our FLGS group still actively plays 5th ed with some house rules (we added in things that made 5th better like snap fire and overwatch from 6th/7th, among a few others)

This is the results of our hybrid 5th ed game tonight at 2k points. 

I was expecting to fight necrons, but that group canceled at the last minute so i was facing bugs instead. 

The tyranids-using 6th ed codex

MY opponent decided to go monster heavy this time-

HQ
1&2 warrior primes

Troops
1&2- X3 warriors 

Elite
hive guard X2

Fast
hive crone

Heavy
1&2 X2 tyrano fexes
3-trygon prime

pvIYez9.jpg

My list-salamanders successors (air cav themed army-they do not use ground vehicles other than skimmers and dreadnoughts))
HQ
master of the forge W/X4 servitors

Troop 
1-scouts in land speeder storm
2 ironclad dreadnought talon (badab war supplement)

Fast
1.storm hawk
2.storm eagle
3. X10 assault marines

Allied detachment
cult mechanicus (7th ed)

HQ
.tech priest dominus

Troop
.cataphron breachers X4 (using gate of antares minis because they look cool, and cost half as much as the GW stuff)

sjjSIOD.jpg

Since we did this on the fly we just decided on a fast and dirty 12" deployment  kill them all battle...but i mean seriously why would tyranids care about random objectives when their goal is just to eat everything anyway.  :wink:

this was the table

D66TKJW.jpg

He won the roll for setup so i was made to deploy first, i then won the roll for turn 1 and he failed to seize. 

i had the planes in reserve (required) the scouts outflanking and the MOTF riding the storm eagle. 

He placed the trygon and the krone in reserve

Turn 1 was pretty lackluster as both our shooting was very ineffective. 

with us just doing a couple wounds to each others troops

B2sAoD2.jpg

Turn 2
From here on in the game was pretty straightforward. i decided to play aggressive pushing all my units up.  i got the scouts and storm hawk in the scouts did little to the only thing in range (one of the tyranofexes) and the interceptor plinked at one fo the warrior squads. his turn saw the krone and the trygon both come in. the krone managed to rip the autocannon off the plane thanks to the haywire effect of his "missiles"  but fortunately for me the trygon scattered 11" away.  the scouts had to dismount as return fire immobilised and then ripped the heavy flamer off their transport. 

The right side of the map turned into it's own private battle between the mechanicus unit and one of the warrior units. 

tjV8wR1.jpg

Turn 3 went really well for me. i managed to tie up and kill most of the warriors on the left flank thanks to the scouts and ironclad getting them into assault.  my jump infantry made short work of the krone. i lost most of the scouts, a dreadnought got immobilised  while the war of attrition continued on the right flank. 

hjSQxdh.jpg

I got super lucky on turn 3 because his trygon while successfully making the charge failed to hurt the ironclad even though he hit him 7 times....an amazing roll of 1s & 2s for armor pen rolls. 
this part of the battle went on to turn 6 where the trygon finally prevailed . it helped my assault sarge bonked him a couple times with  a thunder hammer., got all the warriors though so it wasn't a complete loss. 

HpGbHJA.jpg

The machinegod blessed his servants on the right flank with a narrow victory (even though i totally forgot to do my canticles)  at this point the storm hawk really wasn't adding much to the game as he was out of position after trying to help the mechanicus unit out (and failing) the storm eagle spent goth turn 3&4 putting hurt onto the right most tyranofex. 

CHWe9Gr.jpg

I managed to get the second ironclad into his hive guard and finish them off at the end of turn 4. 

Thus by turn 5  i had hurt the one tyranofex enough to finish him off in CC with the ironclad. 

the game went all the way to 7

At this point he was down to 2 big bugs left on the table. managing to immobilise  my last ironclad. 

At game end i was down to 4 functional units, 3 immobilised units that were out of the  fight. to his 2 big bugs. a narrow victory for the emperors finest. 

mLhdhja.jpg

the entire game lasted maybe 2 hours. i am usually not that aggressive but i decided my assault squad needed some love so i made up this as one alternate list while maintaining my army theme. 

Hopefully next week i will bash some shiny necrons into parts. 
Edited by mughi3