With the Grey Company

Wulf Vengis

1. I've recently been gifted a Prophecy of the Wolf box and after a personal life event* that occurred yesterday evening it seems i may be building up more than Orks and Ragnar.

As I've been working on some long fans recently I compared the extended long Fang ancient arm with the extended primaris captain arm and decided they're about equal in all the right ways.

Could i possibly use the long fangs heads and weapon/arm options with the primaris bodies/legs to make my new long Fang pack?

* The event itself is very much NOT board appropriate so i will not go into details.

1. I've recently been gifted a Prophecy of the Wolf box and after a personal life event* that occurred yesterday evening it seems i may be building up more than Orks and Ragnar.

As I've been working on some long fans recently I compared the extended long Fang ancient arm with the extended primaris captain arm and decided they're about equal in all the right ways.

Could i possibly use the long fangs heads and weapon/arm options with the primaris bodies/legs to make my new long Fang pack?

* The event itself is very much NOT board appropriate so i will not go into details.

Well now I'm going to just Assume you got you a XXL sugarmomma to get you through the covid

I have to admit, that the more i think about building primaris marines the more i stubbornly want to build primaris blood claws or grey Hunters or long fangs (as mentioned before).

I just really have no interest in these new units as they're flavorless, bland, soulless and generic. The only disparity between the space wolves and Ultramarines (or any other chapter pretty much) is color palette, logos and special characters (maybe a few minor weapon option differences). I've never felt this way before and i hate it. I hate not having my hunters and claws.

That said, would it be wrong of me to say "Damn the Codex" and build these primaris following the tried and true space wolves loadouts (only using appropriate primaris gear)?

Note: I REALLY hate primaris. I cannot stress this enough, and i cannot truly express to you brothers and sisters how deep that runs. But that's not for here...currently.

Luckily no tourneys, and my game mates are pretty open minded so long as I'm not blatantly shredding the books to make some crazy things. I don't know, maybe I'll wait another year or two before building these and see if they release primaris grey Hunters etc when they eventually retire the old marines.

Luckily no tourneys, and my game mates are pretty open minded so long as I'm not blatantly shredding the books to make some crazy things. I don't know, maybe I'll wait another year or two before building these and see if they release primaris grey Hunters etc when they eventually retire the old marines.

While not having the tags on the datasheets, the codex, tooth & claw and saga of the beast describe the primaris crossovers.

Blood claws-inceptors and incursors

Grey hunters- intercessors

Wolf guard- aggressors

Scouts-Reivers and Infiltrators

Long fangs- hellblasters and eliminators

I understand the difference and how the primaris units tally up as long Fang equivalent etc but they're NOT long fangs et al. They have different stats, different rules, the two are not interchangeable. I really like the LOOK of a lot of the primaris stuff (i hate HOW they're being phased in). So other than aesthetically i have no interest in them. I want primaris to BE grey hunters Bloodclaws and long fangs, not just kinda lazily look like them. Edited by Wulf Vengis

Well maybe waiting and shelving space wolves until GW makes models and rules you want specifically is best for you. Ive posted a bunch of kitbashing here. Maybe that would work for you to get ideas from. As for lore all new primaris made on fenris go through the same path as the OGs...yes different armor/weapons/etc also many primaris coming from Caul go on pilgrimages to fenris to go through the initiate trials to prove themselves. anyways hope you find a way to like current wolves

I appreciate your input and i have seen some amazing conversions, I'm not against that as I've piles of old sw bits.

Maybe I'm being too "old" here. Trying to force the primaris to be something they're not, or maybe i just want them listed as "Primaris Hunters" or "Primaris Grey Hunters".

I don't know...

I appreciate your input and i have seen some amazing conversions, I'm not against that as I've piles of old sw bits.

Maybe I'm being too "old" here. Trying to force the primaris to be something they're not, or maybe i just want them listed as "Primaris Hunters" or "Primaris Grey Hunters".

I don't know...

i have 20 or so og marines...theyre going to be turned into traitors. Im building everything loyalist as primaris. All my HQs have magnetic backpacks for jumps and I'm putting on OG helmets on guyz who rep mk7 armor until GW gives them full options Edited by Debauchery101

When I initially started building my Primaris Wolves it was with the intent of running them as better scaled firstborn marines. So I converted some Intercessors with plasma guns to go with the bolt rifle guys so they could all be Grey Hunters. I converted Blood Claws with axes and bolt pistols, Long Fangs with missile launchers, Wolf Guard pack leaders with combi weapons, etc. So I say convert and build whatever you want them to be.

I plan on replacing my Blood Claws bolt pistols with the heavy version so they can be Assault Intercessors but that’s no reason why I can’t also use them as better scaled Blood Claws too.

I also have no "Intercessors" in my SW army - they are all Ashen Stalkers (yeah, its unoriginal, sue me... :lol:) - they all have a story behind them, Cawl-raised and stasis podded, crossed the Rubicon, or Fenris-born and crafted, there's a story behind how each of them gained acceptance in their Pack, earned their stripes, etc.

You don't have to let the names on the datasheets define your guys, and if you want them to just be rescaled Astartes, well, that's what Primaris started out as in the planning anyway - per Jes Goodwin himself in the VoxCasts. Make them yours, don't let GW tell you who they are.

If your mates are also cool with houserules/homebrew stuff, don't forget to post it here as well! I like seeing other people's take on how they would do rules, etc., for units and named characters (I came at 40K from an early RPG background, and it's how I've always best jives with the game).

I think people are too caught up on the baseline of primaris across all chapters.

Grey hunters are tactical marines at the end of the day. Sure there's background nuance and what not but it's an aesthetic thing when you get down to it. I'm using the indomitus box for wolves and those assault intercessors are getting blood claw bits slapped on them.

Obviously they look like Ultramarines if you don't take the time to jazz them up you know.

I think people are too caught up on the baseline of primaris across all chapters.

Grey hunters are tactical marines at the end of the day. Sure there's background nuance and what not but it's an aesthetic thing when you get down to it. I'm using the indomitus box for wolves and those assault intercessors are getting blood claw bits slapped on them.

Obviously they look like Ultramarines if you don't take the time to jazz them up you know.

I second this. All of my blood claws are from the 3rd edition blood claw boxes (plain armor except for a breastplate change here and there). All of my grey hunters are from the newer space wolves pack box. Blood Claws are fresh and haven’t had enough time to acquire all the kit and bling the grey hunters have from decades and centuries of service.

If I extend that theory to the new Primaris hunters they will be without the bling from centuries of service.

But that's also the beauty of it also. The space wolves have the best value single plastic kit out there. Just one box is going to personalise your intercessors, blood claw up your assault intercessors.

There's actually no indication that gw wants to homogenise the marine line. We're only just seeing the primaris line reaching a proper level of diversity. It won't be hitting a hard stop in terms of new developments, be that the main marine range or unique chapter primaris units.

There's always some new junk they put out that they say has been around but only very rarely used by this one faction....1 week later everybody, their mom, daddy, baby's daddy, brother, 3rd cousin twice removed and their creepy next door neighbor that stares at them from a dirty window has these new models...meanwhile I'm sitting here thinking centurions?? A space marine in armor thats inside another suit of armor...can we get a effin True scale Rhino? Unfortunately for myself I tend to be in the more competitive side of the game so its a new flavor every Saturday morning to try Edited by Debauchery101

The power armor Burnout is real. I get between 5 and 10 models done and i just don't want to see power armor for a while. So I'm really digging having a few projects going at the same time right now. However the wolves will always be my "main", my true love and I'll always come back "home" eventually.

Back in the day (early 3rd Ed), the Space Wolf "unique" units were, models wise, a few special characters, a TDA Rune Priest (shockingly still on sale) and a sprue with a few headsand torsos, a sword, an axe, a Power Fist, a Meltagun and a backpack. 

We had some funky special rules, but not very many (Long Fangs could split fire, Terminators couldn't teleport and our Wolf Guard were a single elites choice that got split before the battle.)

It kinda feels like with Primaris, we're back to those kinds of days - the range is relatively new (there were like 3 plastic Marine boxes plus the vehicles in early 3rd Ed) and the differences between the Chapters are some twists on rules and a few special units, but not many.

Give GW time and I'm sure we'll see unique SW/BA/DA Primaris units - but for now, we're stuck in the awkward waiting period as GW redesigns the core range first.

It's also probably fair to point out that even if we've only had 2 special characters and one diddy little upgrade sprue since Primaris rolled out, we're still doing better than one or two entire *factions* on the new models front...!

It's funny, I'm one of those "kids" who came in just as 3rd released and 2nd edition veterans were leaving the game in droves due to the massive rules slimming/streamlining/simplifying from 2nd to 3rd.

I saw a similar change in core-mechanics from 7th to 8th but the veterans mainly stayed and some even returned.

Now from OG Marine to Primaris I'm beginning to feel how those 2nd ed vets felt at the onset of 3rd.

• 3 weeks later...