Indomitus orders, "wave two"

pawl

Afternoon,

Thank you for your pre-order over the weekend, you battled through thousands to emerge victorious and secure your copy (or copies) of this fantastic Warhammer 40,000 set.

Your order is in the WAVE 2 delivery group whose copies should be with us in August.

Kind Regards

Wayland Games

Just recieved this email. Can I take it from this that the second wave is definitely a thing, and has already been allocated to distributors? Or is there the possibility that Wayland are just hoping that their second opportunity to buy stock will cover all of their current orders?

Apologies if this had been answered already, but there's that much talk online I've not kept up with it.

They're not the only store promising a second run. Some others have announcer their being able to order anorher run of boxes from GW which will go into production shortly as well.

However, no 'official' word from GW has been heard so far. WHatever the stores know, they must know from distribution themselves.

It's now come from three different major independent stockists, so it's unlikely to be untrue at this point. GW never pass comment on this stuff, doesn't mean it won't happen.

Anyway, it's important to note that they are not describing it as a second print run, but as a second delivery of stock they have already been allocated. In the case of one of these retailers (Goblin Gaming) they were allocated 681 boxes in total, 300 of which are arriving in time for them to dispatch for release day, and a further 381 arriving with them in August.

Another thing to bear in mind is that this is not a sweeping statement that every retailer is going to have more available. Wayland have obviously sold both their July and August allocations already (because of course they have, it's Wayland), while others have only sold what they are getting in July and will open up another order window later on.

Edited by Halandaar

So mixed answers, but the Goblin Gaming news implies that there is the potential for (at least some) honesty on Wayland's part.

After the trouble I had getting hold of a box I'll obviously be annoyed if they end up telling me they can't supply, but I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Cheers guys!

Edit: Looks like I misheard the YT video I was listening to last night and they referring to independent stockists product levels and not overall levels. My mistake.

Yes, there will be more waves. It's my understanding due to world conditions that the 1st wave of Indomitus was about 25% of what they usually produce for a release like this, and the 2nd wave will be another 25%. If there's truth to it then that gives you an idea of just how short GW was based on past preparation. People need to remember that decisions get made months in advance that can me all-but impossible to change (Alter? Yes. Completely halt or postpone? Nope.) with the expectation that the world will be working at least somewhat as expected, and not be in rolling lock-downs due to a once-in-a-century pandemic that's screwing with supply chains and the ability for people to work. I suspect GW made the call long before any of the recent events could have been predicted and had no choice but to move forward with something even if they're caught in a catch-22; it's not like if they postponed the release like they would have had something in a better position to fill the gap, and right now every company everywhere is trying to find any way to keep making money so GW couldn't just stop.

Edited by Subtle Discord

It's my understanding due to world conditions that the 1st wave of Indomitus was about 25% of what they usually produce for a release like this, and the 2nd wave will be another 25%.

Pre-sale figures for Indomitus have apparently already reached/exceeded 3 years worth of sales for Dark Imperium, so I'm not sure that 25-50% (depending on how many sold both waves at the same time) would be quite right, as that would imply they had planned to make a comparative 6-12 years worth of boxes for a limited release product.

(fudging the numbers slightly here)

Edited by pawl

My local store said a second wave is unlikely, but he didn't know for sure. However, he did hint core boxes are coming out and many of the miniatures will be included. Anyways, take that for what you will. 

It's my understanding due to world conditions that the 1st wave of Indomitus was about 25% of what they usually produce for a release like this, and the 2nd wave will be another 25%.

Pre-sale figures for Indomitus have apparently already reached/exceeded 3 years worth of sales for Dark Imperium, so I'm not sure that 25-50% (depending on how many sold both waves at the same time) would be quite right, as that would imply they had planned to make a comparative 6-12 years worth of boxes for a limited release product.

Edit: Looks like I misheard the YT video I was listening to last night and they referring to independent stockists product levels and not overall levels. My mistake.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, directly comparing previous years of sales of DI to estimated sales (or the planned size of the offering) of Indomitus doesn't seem like a good match. I didn't imply they they planned to make 6-12 years of product, my point was they were able to produce about 1/4 of what they normally would have for a limited release of this scale due to world conditions but were likely locked in to roll out what they had despite knowing it was far from enough. But, GW being GW, it seems they couldn't adjust their marketing message to alter expectations of their customers and moved forward like it was normal, it seems, hoping that somehow it would all sort out or that they kinda' knew they were going to get backlash and just plan on riding it out. The consumer public tends to have a very short memories these days. Naturally, this is all just conjecture and guessing based on scraps of information that may be off, but it seems at least somewhat plausible.

Edited by Subtle Discord

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, directly comparing previous years of sales of DI to estimated sales (or the planned size of the offering) of Indomitus doesn't seem like a good match. I didn't imply they they planned to make 6-12 years of product, my point was they were able to produce about 1/4 of what they normally would have for a limited release of this scale due to world conditions but were likely locked in to roll out what they had despite knowing it was far from enough. But, GW being GW, it seems they couldn't adjust their marketing message to alter expectations of their customers and moved forward like it was normal, it seems, hoping that somehow it would all sort out or that they kinda' knew they were going to get backlash and just plan on riding it out. The consumer public tends to have a very short memories these days. Naturally, this is all just conjecture and guessing based on scraps of information that may be off, but it seems at least somewhat plausible.

It would make sense that GW weren't able to get their full shipment (hence the talked-about second wave, which I assume is the rest of the planned run), but I'm not sure that the 25-50% first/second wave numbers are quite right.

As it is Indomitus sales in one day have equalled or surpassed 3 years of DI sales (currently the best comparison box for 8th ed). It wouldn't make sense to me that they would have planned at least as many boxes again of Indomitus as have already been sold, considering that this is meant to be a limited release and the various starter boxes haven't been announced yet. That said, the fact that they had clearly already produced at least enough to match the 3 year sales would imply that I could be wrong.

To be completely honest with you I'm typing as I think, and I don't really have either a point or a clue what I'm talking about!

Yup, now you're forcing me to go back and check. Remember people, be sure to double check your sources before you start smashing the keyboard. :) I was listening to leakychees on TY last night and it looks like I was mistaken in what I heard. He was referring to independent stockists and not general stock levels. My mistake. Sorry about that.

[...]

To be completely honest with you I'm typing as I think, and I don't really have either a point or a clue what I'm talking about!

Heh, I do that.

But Indomitus isn't a Starter Box. You don't get any dice or tape measures, you get a ton of models that are far more intricate than the DI minis, I don't even know if you get the point values of the units inside the box WITH the box.

It's - and they said that at the WHTV unpacking - a box aimed at people already familiar with 40k.

My guess is that there will be another Starter Box along some time after the BRB lands on the shelves.

And maybe a Primaris SC box as well - unless they want to go on having newbies buy the Space Marines SC box to get their collection started only to realize they should buy Primaris instead 300$ in...

My question is what if we have a FLGS preorder, and don’t utilize this MTO, and the FLGS preorder gets cancelled for whatever logistical reason? Should we do a MTO in case, or are they saying the GS’s have the stock to cover what they take as preorder?

My question is what if we have a FLGS preorder, and don’t utilize this MTO, and the FLGS preorder gets cancelled for whatever logistical reason? Should we do a MTO in case, or are they saying the GS’s have the stock to cover what they take as preorder?

This concerns me slightly too, as I simply don't have the money spare to order an MTO copy too.

So, you could order one from GW yourself or as many as you like from an LGS if I am understanding the announcement correctly?

I took this to mean the FLGS have allotted copies, and any restrictions on numbers ordered are still in place, if there are stores that still have preorder slots. There will be a supplemental MTO limited to 1 per (IP?, person?).

At this point, we are free to order one from GW for a limited time, or chance the LGS having copies honored if preordered. To best of my knowledge.

Well, if you don't trust your FLGS, don't order from them? :sweat:

It seems that with all the talk of overselling it's difficult to know who to trust!

I'm considering cancelling my order with Wayland and paying the extra for the MTO - even if it takes longer I know it will come. That said, is it worth messing around with my CC and then paying the extra if WG deliver on their promise?

I have hear from a few sources now that the FLGS can also MTO the box set, no idea if that's with discount or not, but there is no limit to the number they can order. So I would say that all orders will probably be delivered now. The only question is when it is delivered. 

It seems that with all the talk of overselling it's difficult to know who to trust!

I'm considering cancelling my order with Wayland and paying the extra for the MTO - even if it takes longer I know it will come. That said, is it worth messing around with my CC and then paying the extra if WG deliver on their promise?

Wayland are not a trustworthy company at all; complaints about them taking orders (and your money), yet going silent on actually delivering it for months are legion, including overselling pre-order allocations and _eventually_ saying 'sorry, we ran out of item from $seller, we're waiting on more'. And that's just on normal stuff.

If I were in your shoes, I would immediately cancel from Wayland and go MTO, you'll actually get it that way.

Wayland are not a trustworthy company at all; complaints about them taking orders (and your money), yet going silent on actually delivering it for months are legion, including overselling pre-order allocations and _eventually_ saying 'sorry, we ran out of item from $seller, we're waiting on more'. And that's just on normal stuff.

If I were in your shoes, I would immediately cancel from Wayland and go MTO, you'll actually get it that way.

Took your advice. Only ordered through WG because GW and Element couldn't sort me out, so I've requested a refund from them and ordered MTO. I'm not fussed at all about waiting (although I've now realised I'm still waiting on my GW Amulius!), so the extra security is worth paying a few quid more for!