Mordian Doctrine alternatives for 9th

duz_

Since there are a few of us stalwart commanders around I'm curious to see everyone's thoughts

Breifly discussed in the IG 9th Ed thread I figured it deserves its own.

Looks like FAQs and Errata are live. May be more appropriate to start a new thread. Tallarn and Vahallans got FAQ’s, nothing noted for steel legion, Mordian or other regimental doctrines. Pretty disappointing as my Mordians will now need to use CP just to use their innate trait. Might be time for custom doctrines for me, fluff wise I will work out some head canon for the time I get around to playing a game in 9th

MedicM I'm in the same boat

It's a toss up between Cadian (boring but decent all around), Vostroyan (still some what thematic since we'll disciplined aim is a thing for us) or Steel legion if I go full mech

This is a bigger decision especially if you want to run a single detachment with all your tanks in the same one

How do you plan on running Mordians in 9th now that overwatch costs CP and since its a strat can only be done once per charge phase. Arguably ours was never the strongest RD, but I enjoyed it and found a use for it.

With these changes and being penalised for mixing and matching detachments I'm likely to go from 3 tailored detachments into 1 mega detachment.

The simple choice would be Cadian somewhat thematic as we are better trained and disciplined than they are ;) but a boring choice

Pre our codex I speculated that we might get a range bonus for our well drilled volleys which went to the Vostroyans so that is a second option and their +1BS strat is nice too

Finally for me if I go full mobile inf the Steel Legion one is nice for increased rapid fire and ignoring AP-1 for vehicles

I'll have to play test and see which I find is balanced between effectiveness and theme for me

What's everyone else's thoughts?

Following this.

Some things in that faq seem really off to me. Send in the next wave, for example, cost points for the unit coming on. Not sure how it played prior to that but seemed useless to me. 
I'll have to read the faq a few times to really understand what's going on in there.

Following this.

Some things in that faq seem really off to me. Send in the next wave, for example, cost points for the unit coming on. Not sure how it played prior to that but seemed useless to me.

I'll have to read the faq a few times to really understand what's going on in there.

Send in the next wave was nerfed for points ages ago. I think the difference is they're now calling them reinforcement points. Edited by Santaclauswitz

Alternative doctrines and regimental traits-

Cadia: probably the strongest all-comer doctrine and fits in nicely to Mordian lore given their history as disciplined marksmen and the hatred of but also tendency to suffer from predations of chaos

Steel legion: another good choice, tends to be at least competitively strong, and adds an element of mobility which can be fluff-justified if it’s disciplined orderly mobility (I guess)

Looking to Custom doctrines:

Wilderness survivors- (renamed urban survivors for my purposes)

Cover if not advancing is decent, although I would have to consider the new rules heavily when choosing this doctrine

Disciplined shooters- This is pretty much Mordian fluff made into a trait, useful even with tables getting smaller.

Fire from the hip- another usable doctrine (and although seemingly at odds with Mordian fluff, I’ll just picture a Mordian lieutenant standing there shouting “forward together by ranks! Don’t stop shooting until you run out of ammunition or targets”

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

I'll have to dig out my PA and see what traits there were again at the time I thought ours were stronger :lol:

Wilderness survivors could make sense used to living in hive worlds. Fire from the hip doesn't seem to line up for me.

Warhead the Valhallans had to pay for reinforcements almost from day 1 faq of I recall

Only because it’s called fire from the hip?

Lore details several times when Mordians used mobility and kept on shooting such as the disciplined fighting retreat for defence of the tetrarchal palace during the major chaos incursion, as well as advancing by ranks of fixed bayonets spitting lasfire as essentially a solid pointy/shooty wall.

Better to call it forward fusillade or withering withdrawal then but the idea remains the same; unerring accuracy even whilst on the move.

No more to do with the concept - it allows a unit to run and shoot natively

Which for me doesn't seem as disciplined vs the order Move Move Move which for me does evoke discipline and training

Wilderness survival is also a bit of an in between one for me even with what I said before since Mordians where bright dress uniforms and eschew cover

For fun and especially since I have a lot of bayonet charging Mordians the Lords' Approval would be amusing, but likely abysmal in game

With the chaos invasion though Monster Hunter could be possible, but similar to above of limited use

Worst part about this exercise was going back over our custom regiment traits and seeing how terrible they were :(

I'm tempted to stick with Mordian for the order, but that's about it. 

Strategic reserves allows us to chuck a special weapon squad/command squad full of plasma into a decent position to take out important characters. The rest of our rules are going to be pretty useless, though.

So since PA came out my Mordians have switched to taking Wilderness Survivors and Disciplined Shooters.

Wilderness Survivors: Mordian Uniforms actually have a combination of Flak and Carapace woven into their uniforms, making them much tougher the they would appear. So by marching shoulder to shoulder foward slowly towards the enemy presents a wall of semi carapace armoured troops, but if the mordians dash forward and break ranks then the defensive posture is broken.

Disciplined Shooters: Mordians are well known for their expert volleys of lasgun fire. Being able to do this at longer ranges just makes sense. I basically use FRFSRF order every turn.