Thousand Sons: FAQ 9th Ed

Prot

It's up on GW's site:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/6qGpW51Jfo6A5Xzr.pdf

Of note was this little tid bit:

*Page 79 – Warlord Traits Change to read: ‘If a Thousand Sons Character model gains a Warlord Trait, they can have the relevant Warlord Trait instead of a Warlord Trait from Codex: Thousand Sons.’

This is good.

And...

*Page 79 – Sorcerous Arcana Change the first sentence to read: ‘If your army is led by Magnus the Red or a Thousand Sons Warlord, you can…’
Edited by Prot

So the Warptime is a bit of nerf that sucks not like we needed any nerfs, but can't have anything too good as Space Marines gotta be on top.

Also, from the Ritual and the Damned FAQ.  We can run Magnus as still do the whole cult thing.

*Page 79 – Sorcerous Arcana Change the first sentence to read: ‘If your army is led by Magnus the Red or a Thousand Sons Warlord, you can…’

Not sure how useful this is but the heldrake does not have the AIRCRAFT keyword, so you can warptime it.

It's better than that. I just had another TS test game, and using 9th edition missions. Basically my Heldrake pulled a T1 charge, and contested an objective in my T1 preventing the opponent from scoring 5 points on Primary.

I think as long as points don't go crazy, I've been including this in every Chaos test game I play and like where it's at. Shooting in close combat with it is fantastic btw.

I think it's safe to say we are taking a hit this edition just based off of the core rules. However the FAQ certainly fixed some things... but not the casting of Smite (to my knowledge.)

Edited by Prot

As far as I can see, the Thousand Sons suffer the same increasing warp charge for casting multiple slites.

Good thing my 1KS were buildt with 3 HQs in support roles and NON-psychers did the heavy lifting.

Not sure how useful this is but the heldrake does not have the AIRCRAFT keyword, so you can warptime it.

It's better than that. I just had another TS test game, and using 9th edition missions. Basically my Heldrake pulled a T1 charge, and contested an objective in my T1 preventing the opponent from scoring 5 points on Primary.

I think as long as points don't go crazy, I've been including this in every Chaos test game I play and like where it's at. Shooting in close combat with it is fantastic btw.

I think it's safe to say we are taking a hit this edition just based off of the core rules. However the FAQ certainly fixed some things... but not the casting of Smite (to my knowledge.)

When it comes to things like Linebreaker and Engage on All Fronts, Heldrakes are going to be awesome.

What smite increase?

Ever since the Big FAQ, every time you attempt to cast Smite in a single Phase the Warp Charge increases by 1 from the second attempt on.

GK and TS have gained the Brotherhood of Sorcerers/ Psykers special rule in that same FAQ that exempts them from this increase.

Edit: see here:

40kFAQUpdate-Apr16-PsychicFocus10rg.jpg

Edited by HighMarshalAmp

And we can now assume double sword exalted sorcerors are not a thing.

Overall, all good news, yes?

Not sure why. A later printing of the codex literally put that on the sorcerer datasheet. My ebook version says that 2 swords are a thing right now (just checked it).

Yeah it's weird isnt it. I suppose it will be part all the free 8th content when the app goes live.

Another FAQ has gone live. It is regarding the FW Indexes.

The Whirlwind Scorpius got blast. I'm not sure the points increase for them but that is certainly going to help them stay popular for sure.

Tabletop Tactics mentioned that they haven't seen the lack of Psychic Focus as an issue.

That makes me feel a lot better about it since they're playtesters and makes sense because we won't be running as many characters as we might have previously.

Edited by Archaeinox

Tabletop Tactics mentioned that they haven't seen the lack of Psychic Focus as an issue.

That makes me feel a lot better about it since they're playtesters and makes sense because we won't be running as many characters as we might have previously.

To be fair Tabletop Tactics, although I love them a lot and am a suscriber, dont really know how to play TS. This faction have a defeat track record close to 99% on their channel. I remember one victory against Ultramarine 2 years ago with one sorcerer left on the table.

To be fair Tabletop Tactics, although I love them a lot and am a suscriber, dont really know how to play TS. This faction have a defeat track record close to 99% on their channel. I remember one victory against Ultramarine 2 years ago with one sorcerer left on the table.

I feel that way as well.

There's times I get the sense they are playing Thousand Sons to experiment with the riskiest list possible.

Please please please stop letting Beard play thousand sons. It kills me every time.

Chef is not much better. Last report he chose the Cult you can fallback and shoot... facing a khorne army... as if anything can survive a Khorne charge. Lol ?

Obviously it was a carnage.

Edited by MillionsSons

The Thousand Sons discord is pretty lit with hype for all the exalted sorcerers it now makes sense to bring whereas before they saw play in pretty much just casual armies.

They are much better priced. If only they had an option for jump pack and terminator armor. They would be in every list.

Please please please stop letting Beard play thousand sons. It kills me every time. 

Poor Beard, he rolls more 1's than I do...

Chef is not much better. Last report he chose the Cult you can fallback and shoot... facing a khorne army... as if anything can survive a Khorne charge. Lol ?

Obviously it was a carnage.

I guess the issue is for them that these might not be their standard armies due to everything going on, I watch them more for the entertainment value rather than tactical play (tactica's are more interesting for that). Though I am trying to have more fun even though I can get 2/20 3+ rolls on a regular basis :'(