The Player’s code

Plaguecaster

image0.jpg

So GW have actually released a sort of code / guideline and principles one should follow for being a good player seems to be mainly for AOS but wouldn’t be surprised if the 9th rulebook had the same thing in it as well, obviously one would think this would just be common sense but the way the hobby can be sometimes people do sometimes need a reminder not to be “that guy”

I Really think it’s pretty cool, some may find interesting or disagree but generally see it as something that will help cut down some of the toxic attitude in the game

Anyone else got any other ideas one can do to not be “that guy” and ensure games are actually Fun to play

It's kind of sad that we need Games Workshop to actually print this stuff in the book when any well-adjusted person should already follow these guidelines (part of my job as a parent is to prepare my kids to apply these principles in life). I guess it's good to have this stuff codified as a reinforcement/reminder for those that need it, though. :cool.: 

I heard (or maybe I started) a rumor that the graphic artist encrypted "Follow Wheaton's Law" into the background image as a subliminal message. :wink:

It's kind of sad that we need Games Workshop to actually print this stuff in the book when any well-adjusted person should already follow these guidelines (part of my job as a parent is to prepare my kids to apply these principles in life). I guess it's good to have this stuff codified as a reinforcement/reminder for those that need it, though. :cool.: 

I heard (or maybe I started) a rumor that the graphic artist encrypted "Follow Wheaton's Law" into the background image as a subliminal message. :wink:

Ah yes, Wheaton's Law.

*low key fires up google*

Of course. 

"Always tell the truth"

But what if I have a head that always tells the truth and another head that always lies? Does that count by technicality?

:tongue.:

My friend, you may have more serious issues than wargaming etiquette if that's the situation you find yourself in.

Sad, yes, but necessary.  "Collection hobbies" like ours (along with things like Magic or video games or toys) can have a strong appeal for many on various spectra and it can be necessary to mandate rules about being respectful or not whining about dice rolls.  There were a couple of guys at my GW who I'd honestly leave the store rather than be around but when Dad was (sometimes) a paying customer then Timmy gets to be annoying.  Sometimes Dad is just as annoying so not all apples fall far from trees.

"Always tell the truth"

But what if I have a head that always tells the truth and another head that always lies? Does that count by technicality?

Does that rule apply to Alpha Legion players?

The only thing I don't like there is the "Make a respectful gesture [..]" since there are plenty people who simply aren't comfortable with physical contact. Especially if they play with strangers. ^^

The only thing I don't like there is the "Make a respectful gesture [..]" since there are plenty people who simply aren't comfortable with physical contact. Especially if they play with strangers. ^^

A gesture could just be a wave or nod, doesn't nessecarily have to be physical contact like a handshake. The only part that stands out to me is asking is it ok to use non painted models, not everyone has the time, skill or inclination to ensure everything they own is painted.

A gesture could just be a wave or nod, doesn't nessecarily have to be physical contact like a handshake. The only part that stands out to me is asking is it ok to use non painted models, not everyone has the time, skill or inclination to ensure everything they own is painted.

Yeah but they only give physical contact as examples. Considering that this code is mostly things people should know and do already anyway it seesm to be aiming at taking the players by their hands so having them to think and come up with something for themselves there doesn't fit. :P 

"Always tell the truth"

Does that rule apply to Alpha Legion players?

Ahaha beat me to it!

It feels a sorry state of affairs where GW feels this is necessary. People who wouldn't do these things aren't likely to be swayed by a bit of paper, but as a formal declaration of the type of game GW wants to see it has some merit. Maybe it could be improved with further additions on not moaning about a codex or GW's lopsided support, as if that is the player's fault or responsibility!

Maybe we have to take into consideration that this is likely aimed to new players, and seeing GW is putting their focus on getting kids into the hobby these days, I can see this being mostly aimed to kids 10-12 years old that are taking their first steps into the game. Obviously, it doesn't hurt to remind everyone of common courtesy rules. I do have to say that I will probably struggle with the "Don't complain about your bad luck", I love me some drama :D. Edited by Elzender

This isn’t new - I’ve been to an AoS Throne of Skulls event last year, and a version of this was in the event pack. Plus it’s on one of the walls in my local GW for when people play games in store (though not at the moment).

As much as most of it is common sense, there will always be a small handful of people that can’t / won’t adhere to these principles, and end up ruining things for people. Best to get these small things out in the open from the off, and if people aren’t willing to follow these guidelines at the beginning of the game that gives you a good indicator that you may not have fun playing them.

I wouldn’t mind doing optional ‘fun play’ rules for some mates, and there were some good ones on the 500 facts of Warhammer last year (?). Things like ‘If an opponent re-rolls a 1 with a 1, you should buy them a drink. If they do this three times in a game, you are obliged to buy them new dice.’.

This isn’t new - I’ve been to an AoS Throne of Skulls event last year, and a version of this was in the event pack. Plus it’s on one of the walls in my local GW for when people play games in store (though not at the moment).

As much as most of it is common sense, there will always be a small handful of people that can’t / won’t adhere to these principles, and end up ruining things for people. Best to get these small things out in the open from the off, and if people aren’t willing to follow these guidelines at the beginning of the game that gives you a good indicator that you may not have fun playing them.

I wouldn’t mind doing optional ‘fun play’ rules for some mates, and there were some good ones on the 500 facts of Warhammer last year (?). Things like ‘If an opponent re-rolls a 1 with a 1, you should buy them a drink. If they do this three times in a game, you are obliged to buy them new dice.’.

That’s the Advanced Player’s Code ;)

Yes GW is marketing to a larger crowd than ever before and this kind of thing can go a long way toward helping that crowd to remember that this all fun and games.

That said however I've been to a few Adepticon events and a handful of local tourneys over the years and i honestly have to say that a majority of the paper I've stood across the table from have been, er um, well not so super pleasant. I feel a small thing like this can go long ways to help reminds us of these things.

So does this apply to open, narrative and matched play or only matched? I need to know if this is core rules or advanced. Where can I find the FAQ for this? Does strategic misinformation count as not telling the truth ("I really need that objective" when you don't).

Ah its so confusing, if only they were more clear with their rules.

:D

If this isn't in the codex, it should be in the Chapter Approved. 

Honestly I get that for some people this stuff is obvious, but for others the fact that it's being stated takes some of that "well the rules don't say I can't" nonsense off the table.

At the end of the day we all want to have a good time, and it's nice to see that GW is trying to smooth player experiance and discourage the baby seal beaters from being such [redacted].

I noticed no one caught the "opponent's permission to play with unpainted models" clause. AoS is even stingier about unpainted models than 40k is. :wink:

I think the "unpainted" clause should only exist in the tournament/flgs scene. If you're playing at home you shouldn't need permission to play with unpainted models.

Otherwise this is (as previously noted) a pretty good reminder to all of us that we're gathered here to play a game that we all enjoy.

Don't be a Richard.

EDIT: Took out a possibly condescending sentence.

But in case your being legitimate "Richard" is a polite way of saying "male reproductive organ" in a very impolite manner.

Edited by Wulf Vengis

These things work though, i always recall the difference in behaviour in certain people when a tournament has a solid sportsmanship score unfortunately. Well, i mean its unfortunate you have to bribe people to play nice but the effect is a good one :D