The Player’s code

Plaguecaster

A shame it has to even be stated, but in many gaming-related hobbies such as this one, it isn't stated nearly enough. The issue with an actual sportsmanship score like old tournaments used to have is that you may get petty dings to your score from sore losers or people who have it out for your faction or you, personally, despite being a completely upstanding sportsman.

It's kind of sad that we need Games Workshop to actually print this stuff in the book when any well-adjusted person should already follow these guidelines (part of my job as a parent is to prepare my kids to apply these principles in life). I guess it's good to have this stuff codified as a reinforcement/reminder for those that need it, though. :cool.: 

I heard (or maybe I started) a rumor that the graphic artist encrypted "Follow Wheaton's Law" into the background image as a subliminal message. :wink:

It feels a sorry state of affairs where GW feels this is necessary. People who wouldn't do these things aren't likely to be swayed by a bit of paper, but as a formal declaration of the type of game GW wants to see it has some merit. Maybe it could be improved with further additions on not moaning about a codex or GW's lopsided support, as if that is the player's fault or responsibility!

Trust me, things like this need to be stated. Ever hear how Yu-Gi-Oh! (yes, the archetypal "children's card game") had to have a rule in their official tournament packs for people to bathe and be clean in order to play?

Because there was an issue with some players purposely being as foul as possible so their stench would cause their opponents to be too distracted to play the game, and they'd win by timeout.

Yes, really. :laugh.:

Edited by Gederas

Finally, this should do the trick for quite a few issues. Particularly that bit about touching other people's minis - I ain't usually an angry person but whenever someone gets handsy with my minis out of nowhere I feel like reaching for the old lead dreadnought sock.

QbanUgZ.jpg?1

A shame it has to even be stated, but in many gaming-related hobbies such as this one, it isn't stated nearly enough. The issue with an actual sportsmanship score like old tournaments used to have is that you may get petty dings to your score from sore losers or people who have it out for your faction or you, personally, despite being a completely upstanding sportsman.

Considering major sports contain such similar codes of conduct (or just flat out have rules for sportsmanship) I feel it's less a shame and more just a good reminder that helps keep honest people honest.

Everyone knows That Guy, but we've also all played against someone who was salty over losing, or was just unfun to play against because of their attitude that day. Making it a core part of the game keeps us thinking about our behavior and keeps it from being a problem for other players.

It's kind of sad that we need Games Workshop to actually print this stuff in the book when any well-adjusted person should already follow these guidelines (part of my job as a parent is to prepare my kids to apply these principles in life). I guess it's good to have this stuff codified as a reinforcement/reminder for those that need it, though. :cool.: 

I heard (or maybe I started) a rumor that the graphic artist encrypted "Follow Wheaton's Law" into the background image as a subliminal message. :wink:

Sad, yes, but necessary.  "Collection hobbies" like ours (along with things like Magic or video games or toys) can have a strong appeal for many on various spectra and it can be necessary to mandate rules about being respectful or not whining about dice rolls.  There were a couple of guys at my GW who I'd honestly leave the store rather than be around but when Dad was (sometimes) a paying customer then Timmy gets to be annoying.  Sometimes Dad is just as annoying so not all apples fall far from trees.

"Always tell the truth"

But what if I have a head that always tells the truth and another head that always lies? Does that count by technicality?

Does that rule apply to Alpha Legion players?

Truth is so precious that she should always be attended by a bodyguard of lies. :p

I think this is great, and there should absolutely be some version of this in 40K products going forward. I get the sentiment behind comments along the lines of: "Oh, this should be common sense! It's sad that GW has to put this in writing!" A couple of points though: 1) Those of us with some form of neurodivergence often have a hard time picking up on *implicit* social norms. Codifying them in this way is helpful in this regard. 2) More generally, what constitutes "common sense" or "common courtesy" are not, in fact, often held in common. Different people will have different interpretations of these norms, or emphasize elements of them over others, based on their personality, background, and experience. Layer cultural differences on top of this (e.g., high-context vs. low-context; asking vs. guessing culture; etc.) and there is significant room for fundamental disagreement about both what the norms of a group are and how they ought to be approached. 

TL;DR: Explicitly stating what you expect the norms of behavior for a group to be minimizes ambiguity and provides a framework for identifying those legitimately acting in bad faith vs. those who simply interpret the world around them differently from you.

The super simple version our group always follows-Don't be a jerk!

After any game, especially one i am teaching to a new player the most important question is-did you have fun?  If you didn't then i am doing something wrong. 

Edited by mughi3

To be fair virtually all of those points for me can be summed up to being: "Don't be that guy." :wink:

BCC

The problem is "that guy" rarely views himself as "that guy" or views others as "those guys." 

As with some above, the only one I have issue with is 'complaining about bad luck' - I'm happy with never complaining about opponents good luck, but there's quite a lot of fun in the one off comment/reactions to individual horrific rolls. I've still got a squad of ratlings dubbed 'Yahtzee squad' after two of their first three rounds of shooting in one of our megabattles was five '1's, and five '2's - all of course misses...

^ Ha, so many people carried at my GW a few years ago I’d ask if it was Firearms Friday or something.

As a Texan, it's always firearm Friday.

Not in Texas, but on a normal sat game night at least half the regulars, including me, are exercising their right to not be a victim. 

In the last 12+ years i have been running late night gaming, nobody has been. 

Now DICE they get victimized alot, especially when they are misbehaving. :teehee:

Edited by mughi3