Thoughts on the 9th ed Crusade rules

N1SB

Honestly just using points for your battles and building your OoB via PL will be the simplest way to do the conversion.

It's the way my group is doing it.

Just like Alcyon stated, just allow for partial squad deployment during the fighting and you should be more then fine.

Edited by Focslain

Is there anybody outthere willing to share how they have done a system with points instead of power level?

I'm co-running a crusade campaign with my gaming group, I think we have something like 14 players now. It's basically a league. We're doing 1k pts orders of battle to start and playing an escalation series, the Combat Patrol missions at 500pts, then 3 Incursions at 750pts, then the other 3 Incursions at 1k, then 3 Strike Force missions at 1500 and the final 3 at 2k. 1 PL = 100pts so you potentially could have a 3k OoB by the end if you didn't spend your RP on anything else.

One hiccup is it's tough with Primaris to squeeze in units if you can't alter the sizes of squads, since they have so few options. So one thing we've implemented is you can run units below the size you paid for in your OoB as long as they aren't below minimum strength, i.e. if you have a 10-man Intercessor Squad in your OoB, you can run it as a 5 or 7-man squad in a game list and it will still gain experience as normal.

Some other weird quirks have come up, I'll share any I think of and happy to field any questions people have.

Thank you!

1 PL = 100pts so you potentially could have a 3k OoB by the end if you didn't spend your RP on anything else. 

Whoa! 1PL = 100 pts is kind of extreme, no?

I think he meant one RP.

1 RP = +5 PL

5 PL x 20 = 100 points

That makes much more sense.

Second query. Can I have multiple units in my Order of Battle, with keywords such as Master of Sanctity, or Chapter Master, and then only take one at a time in my Crusade Army? 

do you mean 2 Master of Sanctity (or 2 Chapter Masters)

or 

A Master of Sanctity and A chapter master?

First version 2 of same character - No there is only one Chapter master and  one Master of Sanctity in each Space Marine Chapter

Seconded Version yes you could, but will have to pay the pts to make the chaplain or captain the upgraded version. 

Edited by war009

I meant two of the same. I suppose I may be looking at it too 'competitively' and not narratively enough. The strats both state you can't take two of the same unit in your 'Army' but that may not prevent you from having two in your Order of Battle. 

The issue I have is wanting to take Grimaldus in my Order of Battle, but maybe also having another chaplain to swap in as MoS at a later stage. 

But you're right, that's not the way I should be looking at it. 

Yes, you theoretically could have two Chapter Masters in your OOB, because your OOB is not an "army". But like you say, it would be difficult (though not impossible - see White Consuls chapter) to justify narratively, so I would avoid it unless there is a specific story you want to tell with them.

I think the rules will allow you to have multiple Masters of Sanctity in your OoB, but you would indeed be restricted per mission normally.

I'm a big fan of 'counts-as' being used to represent interesting characters though, and I don't see why an exceptionally zealous/dogmatic/enlightened Chaplain who may or may not be earmarked for leadership of the Reclusiam to shouldn't have the rules of a Master of Sanctity (as long as you aren't breaking any actual restrictions of course).

I meant two of the same. I suppose I may be looking at it too 'competitively' and not narratively enough. The strats both state you can't take two of the same unit in your 'Army' but that may not prevent you from having two in your Order of Battle. 

The issue I have is wanting to take Grimaldus in my Order of Battle, but maybe also having another chaplain to swap in as MoS at a later stage. 

I mean if your just swapping Grimadlus for a custom chaplain later down the line you can do that and it would just cost you some RP.

Dropping a unit is free and it frees up the PL in your OoB, it's just adding the unit in that is going to cost. Though that custom chaplain might be expensive to set up. Thinking 4 RP total? (1 for purchase, 1 for the relic, 1 for the trait and 1 for the upgrade)

Narratively, you could do something like have a regular space marine captain and a captain in terminator armor and then give them the same name. So it's the same character but sometimes he uses normal armor and sometimes he uses terminator armor and make both of the the chapter master. 

I mean if your just swapping Grimadlus for a custom chaplain later down the line you can do that and it would just cost you some RP.

Dropping a unit is free and it frees up the PL in your OoB, it's just adding the unit in that is going to cost. Though that custom chaplain might be expensive to set up. Thinking 4 RP total? (1 for purchase, 1 for the relic, 1 for the trait and 1 for the upgrade)

I think ideally you'd do that over time rather than all at once.

Narratively, you could do something like have a regular space marine captain and a captain in terminator armor and then give them the same name. So it's the same character but sometimes he uses normal armor and sometimes he uses terminator armor and make both of the the chapter master. 

This also works really well.

I've done something like that for my Ancient, building him up over several games. He currently has a relic and a crusade relic. I was thinking of leaving him as the company ancient, and upgrading my new Bladeguard ancient with the chapter ancient upgrade, but the BladeGuard Ancient lacks the Ancient keyword.

On the subject of Grimaldus, it struck me yesterday that as he cannot gain CP, there is no downside whatsoever to removing him or adding him to the OOB whenever I fancy. Meaning I could swap out the litanies each time. It could be seen as gamey, bit it could also represent the fact that named BT characters would likely drop in on crusades for a spell, then move on.

Edited by Brother Adelard