Expanding my Custodes - Help needed!

Dear agents if the imperium,

I amassed a small force of custodes; mostly because I liked the models so much. Now for the 9th I want to expand that force into a real army step by step. I’m sure many of you have a better grasp of how the game might develop in the 9th, so I’m seeking ypur help to tell me what to buy next.

Have:

HQ

Shield-Captain on foot

Troops

4 Saggitarum Custodes

4 Custodes with regular Spears

3 Custodes with Pyrithite Spears

3 Custodes with Adrasite Soears

Elites

Aquilon Terminators

Heavy Support

Telemon with Fist and Arachnus Storm Cannon

I’m aiming for a 1500 points list first. Definitely eying the sweet FW vehicles like the Achilles, Pallas or Coronos. Not sure what fits best though.

You need an HQ choice to go able to run a battalion and probably a Vexilla for that crucial -1 to hit. As such, I would get either a box of wardens or a box of Allarus.

With 1 box of wardens, you can build a second Shield Captain with axe, a Vexilla with Axe, and 3 wardens.

With a box of Allarus, you can build an Allarus Captain (great for dropping in with Aquilons,) an Allarus Vexilla and 1 regular Allarus (unfortunately not usable.)

At the moment you are missing a few key units.

Trajann and a Vexilla should be your priorities first of all. Trajann especially, as he just got a massive buff to his 'Moment Shackle' ability which allows you to use a stratagem for free once a game. Which will be absolutely killer when combined with the Vexilla Teleport Homer stratagem as it's normally 3CP.

Aquilon Terminators are going to be good in 9th. They lack the stratagem support of the Allarus but can still pack a punch with Lastrum Bolters and 'Superior Fire Patterns' for 1CP. They also have 'Auramite and Adamantium' to buff their defences against incoming attacks.

As for FW purchases, I would stay away from the Coronus, it's not great compared to other army options.

The Achillus is a very cool model and there are some good dreadnought support stratagems in PA: Pariah. 'Ancient Artifice' and 'Enternal Penitent' are great for reducing damage and making sure you get a charge in. This could be combined with the Dreadhost stratagem and trait to deepstrike something very nasty right into you opponents lines and pretty much guarantee a charge. All of this would also work with the Telemon you already own, which I would recommend getting some extra arms and having a play with different loadouts.

I'm a big fan of the Pallas aswell, but I'm not entirely sure how I will be using it in 9th edition. I'm pretty sure I will be heading towards a slow infantry based list with dreadnought support.

Thanks for the swift replies, brothers.

I'm a bit surprised that none mentioned either of the jetbikes. As far as I understand those were the mainstay of the 8th edition custodes. Did the game change this much, that they won't be as crucial as they were in 8th?

Edited by Borbarad

Thanks for the swift replies, brothers.

I'm a bit surprised that none mentioned either of the jetbikes. As far as I understand those were the mainstay of the 8th edition custodes. Did the game change this much, that they won't be as crucial as they were in 8th?

Bikes are still good and if you want to take some, feel free, they're not a bad choice by themself. And captain on jetbike are still hiting like hammer.

However, if Custodes  were spaming bikes, it was more because we don't have other choice than they were the best choice, if you know what i mean.

We don't already know everything about V9 meta but they are a lot of change who make bikes less mandatory.

- The reduction of the size of the map ? we need less movement to reach melee or strategic point

- With the new rules and stratagem, we could have aquilon or venatari to deliver a lot of saturation firepower, wich was why we took bikes, because they were the only option for saturation before.

- Charge and dealing with ennemies in melee ? With dread ost stratagem, aquilon, the comeback of allarus, we finally got something else than can deal a lot with strong melee opponent.

All I know is that from personal experience, is that a full 3 bike charge and captain after meltas barrage, puts everything in the dirt or severely hurt the target. I’ve never witnessed anything like it. I only want to take them against “that guy” gamers or someone using an abundance of heavy fliers. 3 Virtus and bike captain will win you games but not new friends. Edited by eternal_warrior12