wip army building plan 9th ed - white consuls

i_reckon

so these dudes are basically ultramarines with drop pod favoritism says the lore; cool

i think they look like storm troopers so my chapter does not abide by the red helmet sgt painting thing because my sgts want to blend in more with the troops guy

i want a brigade so my 6 troops choices are going to be 6 five man tactical squads deployed in 3 drop pods aiming to secure control over the other three quadrants on the board since objective markers are uber important in 9th edition with primary and secondary objectives

if deployment is not quarters but halves this army will have loads of flexibility in the deployment phase

when i deploy in quadrant A, i intend on getting 3 drop pods, 3 tactical squads box sets and 1 devastator set for parts to engineer my 6 tactical squads to fulfill roles on the battlefield in quadrants B (assaulty) C (mix shooty) D (far shooty)

C       B

A       D

B

Tac I (5) - sgt wtih power fist & combi-melta, meltagun

Tac II (5) - sgt wtih power fist & combi-melta, meltagun

drop pod

C

Tac III (5) - sgt wtih power fist & combi-melta, multi-melta

Tac IV (5) - sgt wtih power sword & combi-plasma & meltabombs, multi-melta

drop pod

D

Tac V (5) - sgt wtih power sword & combi-plasma & meltabombs, lascannon

Tac VI (5) - sgt wtih power sword & combi-plasma & meltabombs, lascannon

drop pod

with the new points values all that costs 855pts

that leaves 1145pts for the rest of the force in deployment zone A and deep strike units to support the drop pods

the only other model i own in a primaris lieutenant with power sword

i am going to think more about the non troops selection, however, i posted this to see what the community has to say

ive got 6 troops and 1 HQ so far and 1145pts left for 2 HQ, 3 Elites, 3 FA, 3HS

any thoughts

i think i need zone A to have a portion that says put and a strong portion that moves forward to secure the centre of the board plus do i add deep striking units?

cheers

Edited by i_reckon

All your Primaris models are gonna have to foot slog it across the table from your deployment zone, or you'll pay a pretty penny in CP to put them into Tactical Reserves and not benefit from their auras, buffs or psychic powers until turn 2.

The Assault Squads also can't move and are less than 50% to make a charge turn 1 when they arrive from the Drop Pods, so they'll be sitting ducks for your opponent to blast away at throughout their first turn. The Plasma Pistols help but Assault Squads are widely considered to be garbo, even in their "optimum" configuration with jump packs.

I also think both a Stalker and Hunter is overkill, there will be fewer fliers in this edition and they hit ground units on 4+ which is a bummer. 

Kinda seems like you're doing your own thing though, so power to you. In 7th ed there was a detachment I was obsessed with called the Skyhammer Annihilation Force, which had two Assault Squads with Jump Packs and two Devastator Squads in Drop Pods. They had special rules so the Assault Squads could charge even from reserves (which they couldn't otherwise back then) and the Devastator squads had Relentless and could prevent Overwatch if target units failed an Ld test. It was super badass and kinda similar to this.

If it were me building a Steel Rain list like this, I would probably run some Sternguard as well as Devastator Squads in Drop Pods with Grav-Cannons, they are very strong against a wide range of targets. You could use Scouts or Phobos Primaris to sneak onto objectives during deployment and then protect them with your wave of drop pods.

• 2 weeks later...

ok ok ok; redo on all of it;

space marines and tyranids;

restart

i think the best way to do this is start at 500pts and build up both armies together as we go here

so after i bought a second tactical squad and a 5-man devastator squad, i looked at these 25 marines and this primaris lieutenant and started thinking; finally i have bits

also

tactical squads recently re-adjusted their points values so i think that will be the same for the new codex

primaris captain/lieutenants only have access to firm gear for now, which is newish, so lets hope that doesnt change either

the primaris lieutenant model totally has a halo on the helmet (suggesting iron halo) making me think this is more of a captain head than anything else

i got a sweet power fist pointing hand with the devastator box and plasma pistol so.... the lieutenant model is now going to be converted to be a captain model.... not only that;

i will magnetize the current head and arms so that a painted lieutenant head can be swapped out as well as the PF/PP for the boltgun or PS/BP combos

done

since i am facing a swarmlord at 500pts, i will be using the PF/PP at 500pts

as for the marines all 25 are going to be 5 tactical squads where the 5 sgts will have arms magnetized and the 2HBs will also be magnetized

anyways.... the lists:

white consuls - reserve strike force 76 (500pts)

Primaris Captain 7th company - PF/PP

TAC1 7th company  (10) - sgt with PP/PF, flamer

TAC2 6th company (5) - sgt with BP/CS, HB

TAC3 6th company (5) - sgt with BP/CS, HB

DEV1 9th company (5) - sgt with bolter

5 units, 5W:25W, 1:5 wound ratio HQ:TROOPS, 3+(4++):3+

6th is orange, 7th is pink, 9th is blue shoulder pads

jormungandr hive fleet alittlebit (498pts)

Swarmlord

Termagants (12) - devourer x1

Ripper Swarm (3)

5 units, 12W:45W, 1:4 wound ratio (cause of the 3 devourers could be termagants), +1 cover save from shooting attacks, 3+(4++):6+

math-ing-ly they are very balanced forces

so my plan is to build what i have above for marines, magnetize mr primaris, the sergeants and the HBs (cause in higher point games i might want better heavy weapons for +5pts)

i already have the arm size and hand size magnets so all is good; i like to use everything i have to the max; dual purpose style

once that is done ill finish the termagants i have and.... i guess ill order the other 2 boxes later this week

its not much right now as far as a flashy force

but it is a start

and at 500pts having 5/6 Troop choices for a future brigade is swell i think

anyways

cheers

Edited by i_reckon

• 2 months later...

alright, here i am again; its been a while

i ended up moving and it took some time to get services and all set up

these days sure are interesting.... all of this seclusion and isolation couldnt be any better for finishing this marine army

especially because we finally have the next codex

im old school so i like tactical squads; and here we are; they seem more better than before i guess....

i was able to build this using only the following:

1 - Primaris Lieutenant dude

2 - Tactical Squad

3 - Tactical Squad

4 - Devastator Squad

5 - Drop Pod

two variants of white consuls - ultramarine successor; with and without drop pod using the fewest magnetized models *mm conversions (5)

Drop Pod List - 750 pts

Drop Pod - 70

Sternguard (5) - vet sgt w PF & SIB, MM, GC, SIBx2 (Special Issue Bolter) - 140

Tactical I (5) - sgt w TH & (BP)*mm, MM - 125

Primaris Lieutenant (1) - PS & BP, Warlord Trait - Iron Resolve, Relic - The Burning Blade - 75

Tactical II (5) - sgt w LC & (bolter)*mm, ML - 110

Tactical III (5) - sgt w (bolter)*mm, LC - 105

Devastator I (5) - sgt w bolter & CS, LC, HB, HB, (bolter)*mm - 125

the difference in points between a (Primaris Lieutenant + Drop Pod) and a (Primaris Captain + 45pts of upgrades towards stuff)

- the three sergents of tactical I, II and III have their BP, bolter, bolter hands magnetized and 3 combi-plasmas magnetized with 1/16" bars on each side. for a 30 point increase its an easy conversion and adds 3 more shooty things

- the Primaris model uses 1/8" magnets on the body and on the 4 arms that hold PS & BP for the P.Lieu and a PF & PP for the P.Cptn

- the non sgt bolter dude in the devastator squad will use the 1/8" magnets for the backpack and both arms to swap with a ML setup for a 15 point increase

Gun Line List - 750 pts

Sternguard (5) - vet sgt w PF & SIB, MM, GC, SIBx2 (Special Issue Bolter) - 140

Tactical I (5) - sgt w TH & (CP)*mm, MM - 135

Primaris Captain - PF & PP, Warlord Trait - Storm of Fire, Relic - The VOX Espiritum - 100

Tactical II (5) - sgt w LC & (CP)*mm, ML - 120

Tactical III (5) - sgt w (CP)*mm, LC - 115

Devastator I (5) - sgt w bolter & CS, LC, HB, HB, (ML)*mm - 140

well they both add up to the points i think

have pros and cons

i cannot see a better way to deploy the models i currently own; i have all the things to do this which is cool

i will build these and keep my progress going on here

list 1 has 8 heavy weapons and board control with the pod

list 2 has 9 heavy weapns, 3 plasma guns and a cptn to stick around the regular bolters and dev squad to give out AP

cheers

med_gallery_217558_16448_10454.jpg

Edited by i_reckon

well since i am magnetizing crap ill be magnetizing every variant of combi weapon for the three tactical squad sgts.... cause i have the bits and the magnets

well since there is a lack of anything here for such a small starter list ill assume that everything is awesome and for 750 pts this would sure be tough to kill

i will be posting in the tyranids army list section my response to this patrol or whatever it is

this army morphs 2 ways with units and magnets; the tyranid list morphs 6 ways with magnets and units....

again i am looking for balance and general goodness at a small point list that will eventually be added to for 1750-2000 pt games

a patrol before the battalion

sooo ya.... havent been progressing on the marines because i have been thinking and researching the nids

to see how i can make this happen a) on the cheap & b -  interestingly competitive c) adaptable in deployment / switching units for others

move shoot advance is the game at its core level

which is why i am deploying a lot of core troops units here (3 for marines and between 3 and 7 for the tyranids)

again

for the tyranid list go to the tyranid list section thingy to see how i can go from 3 to 7 troops choices in 750 pts using tyranids

so

ill go write that now

cheers

Edited by i_reckon

so ya been working on all this advancing alright; got 5 days off work so i want to put a dent in this during the week

here is were i am at presently

gallery_217558_16448_90912.jpg

essentially there are 5 units surrounding the lieu/cptn as compact as possible

they are standing on a winged tyranid creature who was shot out of the sky

the dudes will be all looking ahead expecting the jormungandr dudes to pop out of ground possibly anywhere

gallery_217558_16448_99565.jpg

the wings and arms and tail were all placed in the toaster oven at 250 degrees for about 20 minutes where they softened up so they could be flattened to better look more dead; and become bases

this is how they will fit together; its like a puzzle

i used a FOR SALE sign as the base and placed another layer of it over top

holes were cut out for the dues bases and there is a raised ring between the HQ and everyone else

once everyone is in they dont move, you can hold this at 45 degree angle and all models stay put

the bigger base is exactly the interior size of a metric milk crate so i can transport them around easily

all the bases need to be completed today.... i like having the legs torso and backpack glued to the base before priming

the head and arms are pinned and easier to paint that way

i will fill in the gaps with either more sprue or cut up plastic rubble bits/sand/glue

sternguard squad

gallery_217558_16448_969.jpg

tactical

gallery_217558_16448_58768.jpg

tactical

gallery_217558_16448_36920.jpg

tactical

gallery_217558_16448_28609.jpg

devastator

gallery_217558_16448_72578.jpg

notice how even the chest pieces are all the same depending on the unit

same goes for the style of legs and style of bolter

i used all the legs from the 5 man devastator box set for the sergeants cause they look more beefy and unique

i will probably paint up the dead dragon wing thing as a fresh kill

should have taken a picture while there were no marines glued down but meh

cheers

Edited by i_reckon

• 6 months later...

i guess time for an update on this mess

i finally figured out my points and options and fluff of the force to the point where i actually glued things together

all this is from 1 devastator box, 3 tactical boxes a drop pod and a primaris lieutenant model

again these are legacy marines or firstborn; hence they are not good i am determining

however i think this is a fluffy force from a ultramarine successor that could be added as a patrol to an existing force or at least the good elements of it

again i am like making space hulk 2.0 in a way; a small game with two set armies

i have divided the space marine into three groups; two footslog and one is in a drop pod

each unit has a dedicated role in the army as you will see; it is an attempt at an elite force of crappy old marines; not only that, but they will be painted as reserve companies (6th, 7th, 8th, 9th) with the help from a ton of veterans.... so like they are the elite of the worst of the worst bahahaha

i can always upgrade these armies later and get more fancy things once these are all done

here we go

gallery_217558_16448_627234.pnggallery_217558_16448_6397.jpg

Tac III (5) - sgt w PF/CM, MM

Co.Vets (5) - vet sgt w TH/SS, MM, MG/SS, MG/SS, PF/MG

Drop Pod

382 pts

Tac II (5) - sgt w PF/CF, PC

Dev II (5) - sgt w PS/SB, ML, ML, LC, LC

Lieu - LC/MCBG

Co.Vets (2) - vet sgt w PS/flamer, PS/SS

420pts

Tac I (5) - sgt w PF/CP, PC

Dev II (5) - sgt w CG/PS, HB, GC, HB, GC

P.Cptn - HBP, MCPS, RS

Co.Vets (2) - vet sgt w PA/GG, PG/SS

447 pts

i ran out of speed working on the drop pod part

there are a lot of heavy weapons; 12.... two of each type.... balanced.... good for codex warfare thing i think

one of every combi weapon

one of every assault weapon... very "follow the codex like ultramarines" balanced

a lot of units

a lot of storm shields/relic shields

a lot of sgts that are worth a damn

the drop pod has 6 melta weapons there

this is going up against jormungndr bugs with a lot of big things

anyways; more closeups of the units in my album

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/gallery/album/16448-tactical-squads-lieutenant/

***edit***

they will look like storm troopers with lightsabers when i am done; and i am doing all the colors i can

all the shields are going to be converted from spare parts from the tyranids

trust me; i really wanted to model a base unit of 4 tyrannic war vets here but that might come later on

Edited by i_reckon