Indomnitus as starter for Dorn's sons questions

MegaVolt87

After reading the IF supplement, indomnitus box has a bias to a more assault oriented army. Is there anything in there that would benefit being IF over CF? I see more advantages with melee units under CF than IF, unless I am missing something? I have cool ideas for painting IF's though and won't be getting any old marine stuff, 100% primaris units for my 9th ed SM. 

... there are other sons of Dorn who favour assault. :wink:

Oh I know, I can hear the angry chainsword noises. :biggrin.:  However CF seems to also reward melee in addition to shooting in comparison to BT who are all definitely melee, IF who are more aligned to shooting I think. I am just curious to see if there is anything I am not seeing combo/ rules wise for IF's for a more balanced sons of Dorn force in comparison. 

Edited by MegaVolt87

Think you can still ignore the cover.

I wonder if IF will change to ignore cover bonus for melee as well at some point. At the moment, still not seeing any benefit of IF's rules wise as a balanced force instead of just doubling down on shooting for them.

I think your analysis is basically right. Imperial Fists are all about shooting. Crimson Fists are mostly about shooting but slightly about melee too. They can fight reasonably well, especially against hordes when they hit on 2s.

Pedro also helps a lot. Imperial Fists don't have access to a chapter master unless they pay CPs. Pedro gives you a fairly cheap Chapter Master at 155 points. His +1 attack bubble is an excellent buff to units like aggressors, intercessors and other characters. He was significantly improved in the recent codex as his own stats and gun got better, he got full rerolls and his aura was improved from just affecting models within 6" to affecting units within 6".

That said, ignoring cover is simply better than the occasional +1 to hit that Fists get. It comes up all the time. Imperial Fists are definitely a very nasty army to face as a consequence, though they're possibly not the most flexible. When things go right you end up with pretty one-sided games that aren't the most fun.

I think your analysis is basically right. Imperial Fists are all about shooting. Crimson Fists are mostly about shooting but slightly about melee too. They can fight reasonably well, especially against hordes when they hit on 2s.

Pedro also helps a lot. Imperial Fists don't have access to a chapter master unless they pay CPs. Pedro gives you a fairly cheap Chapter Master at 155 points. His +1 attack bubble is an excellent buff to units like aggressors, intercessors and other characters. He was significantly improved in the recent codex as his own stats and gun got better, he got full rerolls and his aura was improved from just affecting models within 6" to affecting units within 6".

That said, ignoring cover is simply better than the occasional +1 to hit that Fists get. It comes up all the time. Imperial Fists are definitely a very nasty army to face as a consequence, though they're possibly not the most flexible. When things go right you end up with pretty one-sided games that aren't the most fun.

Yeah, thought so. I just don't see getting full value + efficiency from indomnitus as IF's. Looks like I'll have to think about how to paint the CF's a bit differently. Cheers. 

Edited by MegaVolt87

I can definitely see the new characters being very useful due to their increased resilience, also in 9th you are going to want some counter assault units when your foe makes it to your lines, I also think outriders will fit nicely in a fist force due to the twin bolt rifles alway pumping four shots each at 30”, the eradicators also SCREAM imperial fists to me.

I can definitely see the new characters being very useful due to their increased resilience, also in 9th you are going to want some counter assault units when your foe makes it to your lines, I also think outriders will fit nicely in a fist force due to the twin bolt rifles alway pumping four shots each at 30”, the eradicators also SCREAM imperial fists to me.

I am looking forward to seeing the Lt and cpt in action, Judicator looks like a monster as well. The hard part is the other intercessors to take to round out the army. 

• 4 weeks later...

The 8th company is the close quarter company. Can the BladeGuard Ancient take the IF banner to reroll hits in melee? Or is it Ancients only?

I don't think that the BA can change his banner ? Might  have options in the new design maybe.