Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Double Bubble: 5th Edition Death Hammer Revisited

Deathwing Ravenwing Asmodai DoubleWing 9th Edition Patrol Detachment Vanguard Detachment

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

RayJ

RayJ

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,156 posts
  • Faction: Angels of Darkness, Ulthwé
Once upon a time way back in 5th Edition I had mastered the art of the Deathwing Terminator. As the editions and missions changed, I found them less favorable to Battle Company (with free transports) or in modern times Ravenwing. With the move to primary missions being about standing on a spot and not dying, I think it's time to bring the final evolution of Death Hammer out from the vault.

Some reference might be helpful (plus I've been on a huge 5th Edition nostalgia trip this week as I've seen older lists become more viable in the 9th Edition format).  Once upon a  time Belial let you take Deathwing as troops when for most armies only troops were Scoring (able to hold objectives). Razorbacks, Dreadnoughts, and Predators were everywhere. Glancing a vehicle could turn off its shooting. Your apothecary and standard bearer were members of a standard squad, and Belial could join them for a rock solid turn 1 deep striking power unit. This was a foot-slogging, missile-spamming, melee monstrosity. The Devastator Squads provided a reliable ranged threat in cover that made the opponent have to think seriously about shooting them or the terminators.

Early 9th looks to be very vehicle friendly (they'll be shooting into combat and able to get to objectives quickly for early primary points). Everyone is gonna want those decent options for dealing with 8+ vehicles on the table. You'll see a lot more anti-tank weapons pop up, so being able to deal with armor, having durability, and reducing the impact of those anti-tank shots seems logical.

This list is almost identical to the 5th Edition list it's based on, but with the addition of Asmodai and a Scout Squad. The Standard bearer (Ancient) is separate now, but he's able to fill the Apothecary's old role too and extend that in a 6" aura of +1 Attack and 5+++ Wound Negation. Asmodai can function in a similar vein, helping to protect against mortal wounds.

I'm deciding to take a CP hit by taking a Vanguard Detachment and a Patrol Detachment, because the extra troops required for a Battalion mean we'd have to drop bikes and lost much needed mobility for early game. We are likely to want to deep strike a single terminator unit and not much more than that. It'll be useful for getting a closer assault with the Combined Assault stratagem.

Double Bubble:
Vanguard + Patrol = 9 CP

125 Belial

115 Asmodai
    - Litany of Faith
    - Canticle of Hate

85   Scout Squad (5)
     - 4 Boltguns
     - 1 Chainsword
     - 1 Missile Launcher

125  Deathwing Ancient (1)
    - Storm Shield
    - Thunder Hammer
    - Relic: Penant of Remembrance
    - Warlord: Lay Low the Mighty or Brilliant Strategist

218 Deathwing Terminator Squad (5)
    - 2 Storm Bolters
    - 1 Power Sword
    - 1 Chain Fist
    - 3 Thunder Hammer
    - 3 Storm Shield
    - 1 Cyclone Missile Launcher

- 2 Storm Bolters
    - 1 Power Sword
    - 1 Chain Fist
    - 3 Thunder Hammer
    - 3 Storm Shield

- 2 Storm Bolters
    - 1 Power Sword
    - 1 Chain Fist
    - 3 Thunder Hammer
    - 3 Storm Shield

- 2 Storm Bolters
    - 1 Power Sword
    - 1 Chain Fist
    - 3 Thunder Hammer
    - 3 Storm Shield

140 Devastator Squad (5)
    - 4 Missile Launchers
    - Armorium Cherub

140 Devastator Squad (5)
    - 4 Missile Launchers
    - Armorium Cherub

150  Ravenwing Bike Squad (3)
    - 2 Meltagun
    - 3 Chainswords
    - Attack Bike with Multi-Melta

150  Ravenwing Bike Squad (3)
    - 2 Meltagun
    - 3 Chainswords
    - Attack Bike with Multi-Melta

95  Ravenwing Bike Squad (3)
    - 2 Meltagun
    - 3 Chainswords

Total: 1997/2000

Brother Bahram

Brother Bahram

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 601 posts
  • Faction: Angels of the Lion
Greatings, Brother!
Looks like a fun list to play with 👍🏻

gallery_29004_6198_9307.png  BHoA_2014_Banner.jpg

Until the Sword is reforged

TheWeepingAngel

TheWeepingAngel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 433 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels
This list makes me happy. Ahhhh 5th edition.

Is it worth combining 2 of the deathwing squads into a 10 man squad (as the cost of losing a PS sergeant) so that you can combat squad them into a 5 man unit with 2 CMLs to make efficient use of the deathwing assault stratagem?

I'm now also on Instagram: @wrath_of_bruinen

RayJ

RayJ

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,156 posts
  • Faction: Angels of Darkness, Ulthwé
That could be an idea. Back in 5th edition, the list only ever teleported in Belial with the command squad. Bodies on the table were too important. It is worth testing for sure.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Deathwing, Ravenwing, Asmodai, DoubleWing, 9th Edition, Patrol Detachment, Vanguard Detachment

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users