Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Raptors building and painting log.

WIP Raptors Build Paint

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Sergeant_Angle

Sergeant_Angle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 43 posts
  • Faction: Space Marines l Witch Hunters

I started this build log in the Ravenguard section but figured it would be more appropriate to post here.

I've dabbled in 40k since the start of 5th edition when I got my very first set, Assault on Blackreach. I was pretty young back then and over the next couple of years I built a modest space marine army and a small Sisters of Battle army (all that metal back then...) 

After a few years I sold all those models as they were poorly built and painted by me.

Since then I started building a new army around 7th edition and now have a sizeable marine army again. Although I never played 8th I did get some Primaris models around the time Dark Imperium released. Then I got rather disillusioned with the hobby as medical issues meant that I have trouble with my hands and painting is very hard for me. SO I ended up putting my army in storage unpainted.

With 9th here I've got excited again and have decided to push on and try my best anyway as the boys in green deserve to be fielded in full colour.

So I haven't painted many yet but I will share what I have done so far. My Raptors I've decided to go for a pretty dirty look, like they've been fighting in a jungle for a while. Please let me know what you think.

Here is my conversion WIP for Lias Issodon: The bolter is a conversion I made by chopping the upper receiver off a normal gun and attaching a new one from a sniper (an Anvil industries part i think)

Lias Wip 1

Lias Wip 2
lias Wip 3

WIP scout snipers: I did a smilar thing with some of their guns and gave them gas masks to give off a special forces vibe.

mask scouts 1
mask scouts 2
mask scouts 3
mask scouts 4

WIP tactical marines: I wanted to try and get as many scoped bolters as I could in their hands.

tactical test paint 1
tactical test paint 2
tactical test paint 3
tactical test paint 4
tactical test paint 5

Almost complete Las/Plas razorback: This conversion uses plasma cannons (I know the rules are plasma rifle) because i think it fits a vehicle better.

Las plaz rzbk 1
Las plaz rzbk 2
Las plaz rzbk 3
Las plaz rzbk 4

Lastly a quick test for plasma as I want to paint some hellblasters after I finish these units.

plasma test

UPDATE 1

So for my first update I feel that I have been quite productive (despite hand pain). I've managed to paint a full unit for the first time in years, I'm quite pleased with them.

Tac Fin 1
Tac Fin 2
Tac Fin 3

Moving forward I'm torn between:

Another tactical squad
Tac 2 Wip

Or some Hellblasters
hellblaster wip1

I think I'm leaning towards doing the hellblasters as painting another 10 tactical marines might feel monotonous. Onto a modelling project. I'm just playing with a Librarian from the Dark Vengeance box. Does anyone have advice on the best way to remove all that DA iconography?

Da Lib Wip 1

dicebod

dicebod

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 153 posts
  • Faction: Deathwatch, VII Legion

Always loved the Raptors and you captured their tacti-cool nature quite well!

As for the librarian - I feel that struggle!  I love that model but it requires a lot of chopping and sanding.  I'd recommend checking out some flexible sanding sticks to help get the curved areas nice and smooth.

• war009 and Sergeant_Angle like this

++SUFFER NOT THE ALIEN TO LIVE.++

++UNLESS SHE'S CUTE++

https://www.instagram.com/dicebod

gallery_45765_12908_58195.png  ETL_VI_Banner_01_Oath_of_Moment_.jpg

war009

war009

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,332 posts
  • Faction: Raptors/ Grey Knights/ Sisters
Morning Sgt Angel
  • Sergeant_Angle likes this

Sergeant_Angle

Sergeant_Angle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 43 posts

Always loved the Raptors and you captured their tacti-cool nature quite well!

As for the librarian - I feel that struggle!  I love that model but it requires a lot of chopping and sanding.  I'd recommend checking out some flexible sanding sticks to help get the curved areas nice and smooth.

I'll have to look into that. it's the left shoulder pad that's the nightmare :'( 

• war009 likes this

Yosef Hausakluif

Yosef Hausakluif

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 577 posts
  • Faction: Too many to list!
Looking good! Love the Libby’s pose and way you depicted his psychic powers!
  • Sergeant_Angle likes this

Sergeant_Angle

Sergeant_Angle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 43 posts

UPDATE 2

It's a pretty small update this time.

I have a large box of older metal GW models. I was looking through when I founds this old metal Vindicare Assassin. I couldn't help but paint him up immediately. As Raptors take pride in being marksmen it might make sense to have one of these guys on board.

Vindicare

I wasn't confident painting and highlighting the armour as black. So instead I primed grey, dry brushed black in one direction and then dry brushed again with deathworld green. I'm pretty pleased with the result. My Raptors are supposed to be jungle fighting so I think the assassin being camouflaged somewhat isn't too out there. 

• war009 likes this

Sergeant_Angle

Sergeant_Angle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 43 posts

UPDATE 3

It's time for another update. It's been just over a week since last time and i'm pretty happy with what I have got done.

First... Is a second completed tactical squad. I used the same method of painting my plasma on the power sword for the Sgt. I'm fairly pleased with the result.

Finished Tac squad 2

Next up... Speaking of plasma. I have also finished a Hellblaster squad.

hellblasters finished

So I decided to turn 5/15 of my Intercessors into "Veterans" I gave these guys a bit more kit than the regular guys will have. They will also have veteran markings on one their knee pads when I paint them.

Vet intercessor Wip

I gave the Sergeant a hammer. The internet says they are good  to addsweat.gif

Ve Int Sgt Wip

And finally.. Though I have a fairly sizeable pile of shame. Inspiration struck and I bought this box.

20200728 154110

If you notice the bag of heads. It's all beaks biggrin.png my plan is to give every Phobos marine a beak (including 10 Reivers I already own) I found this image when browsing some second hand models that inspired me.

beakie phobos

I am going to paint some stuff I have first before I get my teeth into this box (Well maybe i'll make one test model...) I also have some Ideas for the Supressors but that can wait for now.

I'd love to hear some thoughts. What do people think?

• war009 and Valkia the Bloody like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: WIP, Raptors, Build, Paint

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users