Chosen Sons - NiceGuyAdi's homebrew Primaris

"Suffer Not The Weak"

When Primaris marines were first launched, I read a lot of threads on the B&C where some proclaimed Marines 2.0 were the future, and OldMarines were dead, with others understandably upset that their years of investment seemed to be dismissed by NuMarines' introduction. I decided to make a Primaris chapter out of the argument.

So the Chosen Sons came about in my head. A Chapter of Primaris-only marines who see themselves as the zenith of humanity. They fight in the Emperor's name, but are not 'good guys' in the setting. They dismiss regular Space Marines as failures, and view regular humans as some barely related species. Non-Primaris humans are completely expendable to them.

This Chapter has a culture in which cruelty is nurtured from the first days of being an Aspirant, and they make a point of causing suffering to their defeated enemies.

The first thing I did was sort a colour scheme. If you've not seen the Impcat app, it's really good for trying out colour schemes without spending a fortune on models. This was, after a bunch of versions, what I settled on:

Chosen_Sons_red_191217_resized.jpg?raw=1

And then, after a year of trying to get any hobbying done (young family/life...) I finally managed to get the first test model done:

[Edit, took a better picture:]

20200922-_TC_3201.jpg?raw=1

[and the old picture for posterity:]

20200531-_TC_2851.jpg?raw=1
Edited by NiceGuyAdi

• 2 months later...

So having got test subject #1 done, I refined a bit for subject #2. The first thing I wasn't happy with was the Chapter badge. This was already version I forget how many:

200424_icon.jpg?raw=1

I'd wanted an icon that represented the pair of Brotherhoods the chapter revolves around, hence the same shapes in different colours. My problem with it was that it was too clean, ordered and bland. I wanted something a little more disturbing, so I think I've settled on this:

200727_icon.jpg?raw=1

Test subject #2 also has a change in colour for the ribbing at the neck, elbows, hips and knees (sounds like a nursery rhyme), and a change on the Bolter casing:

20200922-_TC_3199.jpg?raw=1

This is getting there. I hate the basing (it needs more but I'm not sure about the colours) and I'm going to change the Aquila to match the red on the kneepad and faceplate.

So two test marines felt like enough to get cracking here. I only came up with the idea two years ago, so maybe time to start an actual squad?

20200716-_TC_3005.jpg?raw=1

As Yosef mentioned before, trophies are a thing with these guys. But my feeling isn't that these are battlefield kills. Instead...

This being a fleet-based Chapter, it collects Aspirants as it goes along in pairs from the same community. Each young man is placed into one of the Chapter's two Brotherhoods, and early in their training they go through "the thinning", a ritual where the pair are put in an arena and made to fight until one is dead. This is observed by the Battle Brothers, and Aspirants that hesitate to fight are killed by the Marines.

At the end of each bout, trophies are taken from the losers' body. If the victor survives through to becoming a Battle Brother, he may take these trophies into battle as a reminder that the weak deserve only suffering and death.

• 1 month later...

Can't believe I started planning this chapter out two years ago, and I've only just finished one squad. But seven weeks to get them painted is actually pretty quick for me, so I'll take that.

I'm pretty happy with them, but not 100% I prefer making the Aquila red as opposed to the brass/gold of the test marines. Maybe they just need a bit more contrast in them. Hmmm...

20201110-_DSC0263.jpg?raw=1

Thanks for the comments, all. Dallo, I'm planning on using topknots and (possibly) crests as identifiers for Sergeants, Lieutenants and Captains. Freakshow, I think you've voiced my concern about the gold aquilas; they get lost against the armour. Red it is!

Ok, on to the next squad. By the time I've done these I should be comfortable enough with the scheme to do an HQ. Annoyingly I have to wait for shipping on the base colour primer (the current coat is only for the shadows that the rattle can will miss):

20201110-_DSC0005.jpg?raw=1

• 1 year later...

It's been ever slow going in my hobby, without ever quite stopping. I've not updated any of my plogs here in ages because I didn't have a space to take pictures I'd be happy with, but no longer!

220413_photo_setup.jpg?raw=1

So here are the Intercessors I left hanging 18 months ago. I went paler on the armour, wanting more ivory than sandy coloured for them:

20220413_DSF2574.jpg?raw=1

Since I finished the Intercessors, I'd also started a unit of Outriders. I'm tryng to get these guys a bit more cruel looking as I go through them, so chains are going on along with the skulls now:

20210530-DSCF1006-2-Edit.jpg?raw=1

They're painted, too:

20220412_DSF2571.jpg?raw=1

I'm really happy with how these pics have come out, and generally with how they're looking. A couple of HQ units, and I'll have a Combat Patrol three years after I started them!

Great looking marines mate! I really like the colour scheme, and the trophies and chains are very cool. I like the lore you've come up with too.

Oh and the chapter symbol looks really cool too, I was not too sure based on the graphic you first posted, looked a little Thousand Sons, but on the models it look excellent. 

Look forward to seeing more!

• 1 year later...

I don't know where time disappears to, but suddenly I've gone 18 months without updating these guys.

My firstborn Raven Guard have been largely invalidated by 10th edition, so I think I need to bulk these guys out. Next onto a couple of guys sitting in my pile of shame for ages: an anniversary veteran sergeant, and the auspex brother from the original push-fit Intercessors box. He needed a dose of biostrip, after I used a rattle can to base him ages ago that clogged a lot of details.

230104_DSCF1045.jpg

Welcome back, these guys look great. I also like their kind of evil backstory.
Nice photo setup by the way, now I know why my photos are so terrible! Looks very professional.

I’ve been thinking about getting some biostrip myself, from the look of the auspex guy you posted, it seems to work pretty well.

One tip I might give you, looking at your bikes, is next time maybe you could try to fill some of the visible gaps on the bike cowling with greenstuff, or failing that, adding a quantity of  plastic glue in the gap, enough so a bead of glue just pushes out from the join. Once that’s dry, you can file or sand down that excess glue to a smooth finish, and it will be indistinguishable from the rest of the bike. It will help your future models look even more realistic by making those parts look like they’re all one piece.

On 1/5/2024 at 11:30 PM, StratoKhan said:

I’ve been thinking about getting some biostrip myself, from the look of the auspex guy you posted, it seems to work pretty well.

It does indeed work pretty well (and you re-use the gel until it's exhausted). It can eat some plastics - I've not had any issues with modern GW plastic, but it did melt one of my Bolt Action "pin markers", so may be worth doing a quick test.

Edited by Firedrake Cordova
typo

Nice photo setup by the way, now I know why my photos are so terrible! Looks very professional.

Thanks, having a nice camera and lenses for work definitely helps, but they're not completely necessary. Warhammer Community did an article a while ago with lots of good info for getting decent miniature pics.

One tip I might give you, looking at your bikes, is next time maybe you could try to fill some of the visible gaps on the bike cowling with greenstuff, or failing that, adding a quantity of  plastic glue in the gap

Damn you for noticing! You're right though. From memory I did try bit of glue, probably not enough, before deciding (hoping) that I'd be able to paint over the cracks, which of course didn't work. Missing mold lines and gaps is something I need to be more mindful of in future.

On 1/6/2024 at 4:15 AM, Wormwoods said:

Brilliant scheme for these guys. Given the time since the project started, have you added any new model ideas, or had any of the new releases tickle your fancy to include? 

Thanks Wormwoods. There are so many releases out since I started these guys, so it's balancing what I like the look of versus what will be useful whenI actually get in a full game of 40K. Probably a Lieutenant, Captain and Librarian next to quickly get me to 500pts, then something heavy like a Redemptor Dreadnought to get me towards 1000pts. I hate the beer gut on the Redemtor though, so am researching ways around that.

Posted (edited)

The ever excellent Trovarion has done a couple of really good tutorials on stipple painting with sponges. I love his results, so thought I'd have a crack at it. After about 20 minutes I'd managed to get this far. Speedwise that's amazing for me, but my neat-freak mind worries it's messy. Still, I think I'll press on for a bit and see how it turns out.

If he fails me, it's back to the BioStrip pools for him.

IMG_0006.jpeg

Edited by NiceGuyAdi
picture edit