The Chaos Space Marine Unit (Troop) in 9th

Relic

Even though I am glad that marines of all ilks will be a bit tougher with the W increase, I have a fleeting feeling that these changes won't come to chaos until after they got their codex since the changes also includes point changes. That codex will hopefully comes sooner than later, and hopefully comes with refresh of possessed models.

It is also nice that some weapons are being looked at like heavy bolter, but that really leaves autocannon in an awkward position imo compared to hb.

Even though I am glad that marines of all ilks will be a bit tougher with the W increase, I have a fleeting feeling that these changes won't come to chaos until after they got their codex since the changes also includes point changes. That codex will hopefully comes sooner than later, and hopefully comes with refresh of possessed models.

It is also nice that some weapons are being looked at like heavy bolter, but that really leaves autocannon in an awkward position imo compared to hb.

Yeah, I'm a bit happy at the moment that my Autocannon CSM are just the Shodowspear ones that don't have other options. Points are going to play a large factor in determining which heavy weapon I use, but the range is still something to consider. More than likely I'm going to keep a 10-man Autocannon squad in the back and make the rest Powerfist/Heavy Bolters (if when all is said and done Meltas don't look like the more attractive option. Boards are small enough now that unless you're hoping to constantly keep your targets at 36"-48" range, the heavy bolter might be the better option. Then again, the strength difference makes Autocannons a more attractive option against Terminators, vehicles, and the like. For that matter, even against T3 infantry it will wound on 2+ versus the Heavy Bolter's 3+. Autocannon= better range and more likely to wound most non-astartes, Heavy Bolters= Less range with more shots meaning they have higher damage potential. Edited by Doom Herald

With a stat bump to 2 wounds a point price bump may happen at the same time for chaos space marines. Would an extra wound be worth 16pts a model? 18? 20? Where would a sweet spot lie?

CSM will likely be 18 points per model to match imperial
Does the difference points between CSM and SM factor in the doctrines and better Legion traits? Edited by Maschinenpriester

With a stat bump to 2 wounds a point price bump may happen at the same time for chaos space marines. Would an extra wound be worth 16pts a model? 18? 20? Where would a sweet spot lie?

Does the difference points between CSM and SM factor in the doctrines and better Legion traits?

I don't think it does, we're currently the same points cost as them, despite the fact that they have their expanded chapter tactics.

Does the difference points between CSM and SM factor in the doctrines and better Legion traits?

I don't think it does, we're currently the same points cost as them, despite the fact that they have their expanded chapter tactics.

Loyalist tactical are one point more expensive, when I look it up in battlescribe . It is questionable though if it makes up for the big difference in traits and doctrines. =D

So now that we know: Havocs, Chosen, Chaos marines are all becoming 2 wounds. 

Terminators are becoming 3. 

*AND* we know our tactics are being reworked. I think we are going to be just fine in 9th. 

Combine this with Daemon Engines this edition being good and we have a recipie for being a very solid army overall when our book drops. 

So now that we know: Havocs, Chosen, Chaos marines are all becoming 2 wounds. 

Terminators are becoming 3. 

*AND* we know our tactics are being reworked. I think we are going to be just fine in 9th. 

Combine this with Daemon Engines this edition being good and we have a recipie for being a very solid army overall when our book drops. 

Don't forget Raptors & Warptalons. I reckon the second would plus AP-1 chainswords would be great. But it'll have to depend on the points cost.

According to the WarCom article, our wounds bump will come when we get our codex, at which point I suspect we'll get updated Legion Traits. At that point, we may well be worth equal points costs.

As GW has shown they're willing to make significant changes I'm optimistic about Legion traits etc and a reform here. DttFE needs to change, at the least to work on everyone (why can't CSM hate all? :P ) and I'd love for marks to do something more than limit which disappointing Icon you can take. The next codex can't come soon enough!

Legion traits being updated would definitely be appreciated.

I'd really like for some undivided mark or such, pledging to one specific Chaos god doesn't quite fit how I would expect my Word Bearers to work. I don't think they'll do that though.

We'll still need our legion traits overhauled, custom traits, and some special rules to mirror doctrines/super doctrines. But this is a huge step in the right direction. Its confirmed that CSM aren't just being left behind while loyalists move to Primaris. Hopefully when we see a new codex, the other issues will be addressed. Maybe we'll finally be able to run proper legion lists with plenty of infantry again?

I assume that CSM will be one of the first books to come after SM and Necrons.

Dark Apostle and Exalted Champs need jump packs/bikes and termie armor more

We'll still need our legion traits overhauled, custom traits, and some special rules to mirror doctrines/super doctrines. But this is a huge step in the right direction. Its confirmed that CSM aren't just being left behind while loyalists move to Primaris. Hopefully when we see a new codex, the other issues will be addressed. Maybe we'll finally be able to run proper legion lists with plenty of infantry again?

Very unlikely. No model no rules...

Yeah. I suspect we'll see new multipart plastic Chaos HQ kits at some point. Hopefully GW is smart enough to say that they build Lord/Sorc/MoP/DA/EC, not just Lord/Sorc as they are now. And then release datacards for those units with jump packs, terminator armor, etc.

I hope so too. We are still missing that one terminator from the artwork with that burning mace!

Very unlikely. No model no rules...

For the Champ, you only need to relabel Lords as Lords/Champs.

For the Dark Apostle, you are correct, but look at Libbies/Sorcs, who do have the option.

The DA can't keep up with assault units, if in a rhino he can't buff for a whole turn after disembarking. If his buff was *end* of the movement phase, it would be a huge boon.

Exalted champs need to keep up with Lords.

Yeah. I suspect we'll see new multipart plastic Chaos HQ kits at some point. Hopefully GW is smart enough to say that they build Lord/Sorc/MoP/DA/EC, not just Lord/Sorc as they are now. And then release datacards for those units with jump packs, terminator armor, etc.

Honestly I'd kill for a Chaos Lord kit with the sort of options we find in the SoB Canoness release. But I fear that we're stuck with one-pose models for the foreseeable future

I was referring to the power armoured model. Wouldn't personally purchase the Termi lord box anyway because I think it looks poor alongside the newer kits. Were it to be replaced though we are admittedly unlikely to get one with as many parts/options as the older MP kits

Edited by Marshal Loss