Starting sisters

So with the new crusade system in 9th edition I’m thinking of dipping my toes back into 40k. I haven’t played since 8th dropped. However I did pick up the sisters battle box plus amilea celestine a retributor squad an imagifier and hospitalor. I plan to get at least another box of bss. I’m thinking about either martyr mother or valorous heart order. However I’ve never really played sisters or 8th so I have no clue how they function. Any tips or things I should pick up. I thought about mixing primaris blood angels in

So without having played any of 8th you'll be sad to know that most of the content out there is based on that edition at this point.

But that's okay, because for all the things that changed, many stayed the same.

As such, I think to really get to grips with what works with sisters I might suggest checking out the start competing article from Goonhammer here:https://www.goonhammer.com/start-competing-sisters-of-battle-tactics/

Edit: on second thought, that probably isn't a very good resource at all. The one suggested below would be a better starting point. Competitive minded resources like this don't want to spend time explaining how to maximize units that they have decided are "bad".

Edited by Lemondish

Table top tactics also recently published a video regarding Sisters of Battle. The first list was a Bloody Rose Repentia bomb which was fairly popular prior to the pandemic. The second list was Valorous Heart immolator spam with plenty of Battle Sisters and Dominions.

The first list was great in 8th. Given the new rules and focus on objectives I think the second list has legs.

Yeah, that would probably be a better source. I was rereading that Goonhammer article and came to the realization that it actually isn't very useful for new players. It says an awful lot about what isn't good, but in many cases the arguments for them do not apply much in 9th edition any longer.

Furthermore, I don't think there really is any value in cutthroat competitive insight for new players.

So that probably isn't the best resource.

Table top tactics also recently published a video regarding Sisters of Battle. The first list was a Bloody Rose Repentia bomb which was fairly popular prior to the pandemic. The second list was Valorous Heart immolator spam with plenty of Battle Sisters and Dominions.

The first list was great in 8th. Given the new rules and focus on objectives I think the second list has legs.

Do you have the link to the Tabletop Tactics video on Sisters? Browsed their site (albeit for the first time) and could not find anything.

I find it’s a mixed bag in terms of cutthroat advice for new players.

Hidden Content

On the one hand, yes, the WAAC types that aim for prize money at tournaments play in a different way than most of the rest of the community.

On the other hand, I’ve seen with my own eyes time and time again new players showing up with models that they think are cool only to be smoked off the table back to back to back. The look of discouragement on their face is palpable. And they either never show up again or race out and buy a whole bunch models thinking they will magically make them win the next game...only for them to lose again since “just add unit x” rarely has the desired effect. And then they quit in disgust or race out and buy even more models.

So I see it both ways. And for that reason, for better and worse, I think 1d4chan’s Tactica on each Faction has been the staple in the community that is: they don’t hold back on anything, but also give those brutal edge cars where a terrible unit could somehow work. Goonhammer and many others have tried to do much the same thing so that people aren’t forced to go to 1d4chan (since it’s...well...4chan), yet no one has quite got the formula down yet.

TL;DR: yea it’s tough to give the right type of advice to new players.

My personal take (biased by how I was taught) is its best to learn the game itself and then build an army from there rather than the other way around.

Remember these are 8th ed lists with 8th ed points.

That 9 Immolator list looks tasty though.

Ignore AP -1 and -2 for most of army and then purposely blow up in the face of the enemy.