Rethinking Necron Dynasties in 9th

BaconCouch

So, 9th is upon us. We still have no word on if Necron Dyansty Codes are getting a rework, or what DIY Dynasties might look like.
In the meanwhile, knowing what we know about Necrons, and 9th, which Dynasties are going to improve the most? Which are less potent now?

I'm under the impression that Nihilahk, Nephrehk, Mephrit, and Novokh are getting boosted by the new focus on controlling midfield objectives, and the close quarters that provides.

Nephrehk lets you get to objectives faster, and ignore some aspects of terrain and enemy models while advancing.
Nihilahk lets you reroll 1s if you stand still, and their signature stratagem has new found power since you can sit on an objective and contribute.
Mephrit gives you that juicy extra AP vs enemies that have no choice but to get closer.
Novokh obviously plays well into the new destroyer models, and helps our otherwise extremely lackluster melee ability.

What do you think? Will 9th change which dynasty you focus into?

Somewhat related: I'd be willing to be that Thokt and Ogdobekh are going to receive dynastic rules for the first time in 9th given that they appear in both of the "alternative dynasties" painting videos on WHTV.

As for me, I'll probably be using Novokh's rules to represent my Maynarkh. Hoping for new Flayed Ones to ram home the theme & take advantage of the new outflank.

On the face of things all existing Dynasties are good options, from new rule interactions to some smaller boards making for closer battles. The only option I think that's lost out in a way is Sautekh since ignoring the penalty for moving and firing heavy weapons is now worked into vehicle rules (though this has worked heavily in my favour with how I build lists and what I like to use).

Moving forward I'd love to see new Dynasties get rules but might prefer the "pick your own trait" approach shown in the Psychic Awakening books. Relics and warlord traits still welcome? :lol: I would like to both have and eat my cake apparently.

I remember a few weeks back WHTV were showing several paint schemes to some Dynasties along with Sautekh which I hadn't heard before.

Perhaps those ones will also be a part of the listed Dynasties.

I think more people will be leaving Sautekh and going for melee focused Dynasties like Nephrekh and Novokh to try out their new Destroyers. I'm hoping Thokt and Ogdobekh are fleshed out more since my Dynasty is a mixture of both.

Edited by Get Thokt

Yeah, I agree, Sautehk is going to be in a rough place. And with modifiers capped at +1/-1, the Sautehk stratagem isn't going to be nearly as effective.

I'm down for a few more dynasties, but I think the DIY Dynasty codes, if appropriately strong, will be the way to go.

Just note that these doctrine abilities are only good until October. They have all been changed. Mephrit for example has the -1ap at half range but now also extends the range by 3". Nihilak all units are objective scoring and actual objective scorers count for 2 for 1. They also ignore -1ap in their deployment zone. Sautek have rapid fire at 18" and something else. Novokh adds +1 to charge and -1ap on melee weapons on the turn they charge or get charged. 

The new Silent king one provides a 5++ and something else.

We also get some new canticle type ability like mechanicum and no word yet on dynasty specific strats or how RP will work.

So minor and major changes all around

Someone pulled a CSI-Enhancement and transcribed the new Dynasty Codes (Protocols?)

MEPHRIT: SOLAR FURY

• Add 3" to the range characteristic of ranged weapons(excluding something [pistols?]) that models with this code are equipped with.
  • Each time a model with this code makes a ranged attack that targets a model within half range, the armour penetration characteristic of that attack is improved by 1.
  • When the protocol of the vengeful stars is used you get both command protocols instead of one.

• NOVOKH: AWAKENED BY MURDER

• Add 1" to charge rolls made for units with this code.
  • Each time a model with this code makes a melee attack, if the model has made a charge move, was charged, or performed a heroic intervention this turn, improve the armour penetration characteristic of this attack by 1.
  • When the protocol of the hungry void is used you get both command protocols instead of one.

• NEPHREKH: TRANSLOCATION BEAMS

• Models with this code have a 6+ invulnerable save.
  • Each time a unit with this code advances, it can translocate. If it does, do not make an advance roll for it. Instead, until the end of tthe phase, add 6" to the move characteristic of the models in that unit. If a model translocated, until the end of the turn, models in that unit cannot shoot. Each time a unit with this code falls back or translocates, until the end of the phase, models in that unit can move over models and terrain as if they were not there.
  • When the protocol of the sudden storm is used you get both command protocols instead of one.

• NIHILAKH: AGGRESSIVELY TERRITORIAL

• Units with this code have the objective secured ability as in the core book. If a model in such a unit already has this ability, that model counts as one additional model when determining control of an objective marker.
  • Each time an attack with an armour penetration characteristic of -1 is allocated to a model with this code, if that model's unit is wholly within its controller's deployment zone, that attack has an armour penetration characteristic of 0 instead.
  • When the protocol of the eternal guardian is used you get both command protocols instead of one.

• SZAREKHAN: UNCANNY ARTIFICERS

• Each time a model with this code would take a wound as the result of a mortal wound, roll one D6, on a 5+ that wound is ignored.
  • Each time a unit with this code is selected to shoot or fight, you can re-roll one wound roll when making that unit's attacks.
  • When the protocol of the undying legions is used you get both command protocols instead of one.

• SAUTEKH: RELENTLESS ADVANCE

• Each time a morale test is taken for a unit with this code, you can re-roll that test.
  • Instead of following the normal rules for rapid fire weapons, models with this code shooting rapid-fire weapons make double the number of attacks if the shooting model's target is within 18".
  • When the protocol of the conquering tyrant is used you get both command protocols instead of one.

I've already got a ton of Sautekh painted necrons and plan on painting my new under the new Szaekhan. It's truly hard to come up with a final judgement especially not knowing what the protocols do. 

Without the protocols, I value Nihilakh and its objective secured boost and the ignores -1 save is just a nice little bonus. And maybe its just me, but I feel I get slammed from mortal wounds from time to time and would really appreciate a 5+ save. Sure it's no FnP, but I'll take it anyway. Depending on how our RP work, it might as well be. Same could be said about re-rolling a wound. I can't count how many times I really needed a strong gun to get that wound off and rolled a 1. Especially after my command re-roll dice was used up.  Sure this seems trivial among a group of flayers, but I am referring to the big single single/limited shot weapons. Just think about that one weapon with 3+ damage that failed to wound that could have finished killing off your target. 

Taking a stab at what the protocols based on names...undying legions screams defense and/or a boost to RP. This I highly value. 

Edited by Ahzek451

Yeah....I'm thinking based on what I know now...I'm inclined towards:

Sautehk: Synergy with Gauss Reapers being teleported forward under My Will Be Done 
Mephrit: Extra Range for early game, and extra AP for the inevitable midfield fighting
Szarekhan: A reroll to wound for each doomsday ark I run or doomstalker could be invaluable.

I think Novohk is a trap. Our melee weapons are rountinely Ap-3 or better. Bonus AP isn't going to help us much. We're still a shooting army with some debatably good (but cool) melee units. I could see running one of the 3 dynasties above, with a counter-melee squad of destroyers, wraiths, or Lychguard as you prefer.

I’d be so happy to start a Novokh army if we’d seen or heard of new plastic flayed ones already, but unfortunately since we’ve yet to get any news regarding this possibility, I’m left wondering how to paint my new Indomitus force... I’d have opted fir Nephrekh because I love their translocation shenanigans, but the scheme is not one I’m a fan of...

I’d be so happy to start a Novokh army if we’d seen or heard of new plastic flayed ones already, but unfortunately since we’ve yet to get any news regarding this possibility, I’m left wondering how to paint my new Indomitus force... I’d have opted fir Nephrekh because I love their translocation shenanigans, but the scheme is not one I’m a fan of...

You could always spin it as a vassal dynasty that follows Nephrekh protocols but with a different color scheme?

I think Novohk is a trap. Our melee weapons are rountinely Ap-3 or better. Bonus AP isn't going to help us much. We're still a shooting army with some debatably good (but cool) melee units. I could see running one of the 3 dynasties above, with a counter-melee squad of destroyers, wraiths, or Lychguard as you prefer.

Possibly.  But until we know the protocols, it's pointless to speculate, because for all we know their old bonuses may simply have been moved to the "hungry void" protocol