Salamanders by contrast

I prefer the older olive green to the neon green you see now. I use two coats of Astra-militarum green contrast and it works for for me. Two coats are needed because one coat is too light and contrast on marines looks blotchy without the second coat. As for the skin I don't do anything special and paint them in normal colors. Since they have black skin, not dark brown, they tend to look grey with any kinds of highlights and I am not a fan of that look. Black as in the color itself looks goofy so on the few unhelmed guys I have I go with G-Man flesh and call it a day. Now if you wanted to go with a black color as in African ancestry black(as opposed to salamander ash black(trying to be as PC as possible here)) one of the dark brown contrasts might be worth trying, I might go that route on a few as well for variety.

Hehe very true. My local GW manager came through really well. Got Adrax and a Librarian painted up and had a blast. Unfortunately I’m having my Indomitus Marines wear the black. I’m really wavering on that though. I could make the Captain a Templar but make everyone else the 18th. Time will tell. I have 48 hrs to meditate on them

I use an airbrush to prime neutral grey. I zenithal with a high opacity white ink. I then use a 50/50 mix of white/yellow ink to the highest points and select areas to pop with color. You can do this with a brush and do some edge highlights. After that I apply thinned out gloss varnish.

Now its ready for contrast and I use WARP LIGHTNING GREEN. Brush or airbrush. I suggest using a good amount of flow improver for either type of application because spraying contrast gums up quick and flow improver with a brush helps pooling on flat areas.

Edited by Debauchery101

I prefer the older olive green to the neon green you see now. I use two coats of Astra-militarum green contrast and it works for for me. Two coats are needed because one coat is too light and contrast on marines looks blotchy without the second coat. As for the skin I don't do anything special and paint them in normal colors. Since they have black skin, not dark brown, they tend to look grey with any kinds of highlights and I am not a fan of that look. Black as in the color itself looks goofy so on the few unhelmed guys I have I go with G-Man flesh and call it a day. Now if you wanted to go with a black color as in African ancestry black(as opposed to salamander ash black(trying to be as PC as possible here)) one of the dark brown contrasts might be worth trying, I might go that route on a few as well for variety.

Funny about that.  I started my Salamanders using the olive green and enjoy the more electric green now.

Bit too bright for my tastes but very well done, not sure its practical for anything but characters although it would be easy to cut a few steps to get close to the results

My club member who plays a succesor chapter has a pretty easy and nice looking scheme where he primes black, does a minimal light grey dry brush top down followed by a few high point edge highlights and finishes it off with a green contrast/glaze. It's mostly black with a hint of green.

If you're using Contrast paints, then Juan Hidalgo's video is about as good as you're going to get ;)

Warhammer TV did a video on how to do the current paint scheme (and another one).

For the skin, Warhammer TV did a video on the current "daemonic" skin tone.