Wishlist for 9th edition updates to the guard codex.

On the subject of super-heavies like the Baneblade, it'd be wonderful if they brought the Macharius and Malcador families into the codex and statted and pointed them accordingly. Baneblade's are fun, but sometimes you don't want to be slapping down something as big as an old G.I. Joe playset. Plus the Macharius is just a sexy damn model.

On that note, god I wish Forgeworld would go back to basically just making all kinds of flavors of guard vehicles. I know this is crazy and selfish, but it was a lot of fun having so many options to choose from. It never made sense that all Guard regiments from every world would use the same tanks and artillery, there would be local variation! Vehicles that due to some kind of production limitation are only deployed to regiments local to the sector or something.

So there it is. Don't just consign the Forgeworld stuff to Legends, bring a bunch of it into the main codex.

A new kind of platoon, like already said, would be cool!

You can take 1-3 (or 1-5?) IS per troop slot, 1-3 HWS per heavy, 1-3 SWS per elite as it is a bit weird that now you have more room for Leman russes than HWS.

This would only add options to Guard as the minimum size is exaclty what it is now.

Edited by Phubar

Having noticed how the war gear is pointed I truly hope that our gear doesn't continue to be priced the same as Space Marines as it is now

Feels like 7th all over again :down:

Platoons return and commissars fixed. Making grenade launchers better to justify the 15 million I have being usable, and to lessen the prevalence of plasma and melta in regular Joe squads. Those should be relegated to veterans and special weapon squads.

I really don't want Platoons back...but I'm okay with them being added as an additional option. :P

I'd rather see a more notable difference between Company and Platoon Commanders and the Platoon Commander moved to HQs. In general I think we should have less officers but those be more potent.

Makes no sense to have 3-6 officers leading 50-100 men. I'm no military expert, but I would expect one senior officer, one junior officer and a couple of NCOs handle that.

What I could see for example...Company Commander upper to 4 orders, but limited to one per detachment. Platoon Commanders upped to 2 orders and moved to HQ. No officers outside the HQ slot.

I really don't want Platoons back...but I'm okay with them being added as an additional option. :P

I'd rather see a more notable difference between Company and Platoon Commanders and the Platoon Commander moved to HQs. In general I think we should have less officers but those be more potent.

Makes no sense to have 3-6 officers leading 50-100 men. I'm no military expert, but I would expect one senior officer, one junior officer and a couple of NCOs handle that.

What I could see for example...Company Commander upper to 4 orders, but limited to one per detachment. Platoon Commanders upped to 2 orders and moved to HQ. No officers outside the HQ slot.

One platoon would have a platoon sergeant and a platoon commander, two platoons would mean 4 leaders, and since its now a company there would be two more leaders. So 80 infantrymen would have 6 leaders. Edited by duz_
Edited to avoid misunderstanding

I'd like to see the formal regiments retired from the front-end of the codex and replaced with Regimental Doctrines based on descriptors and then the formal regiments become examples of those. This would let us get more used to using generic guard models rather than feeling like one can't play Tallarn without Tallarn models. Tying rules to old ranges that aren't going to be replaced is a bad idea. It would finally remove the dubious honour the IG have of being the only faction whose subfactions require different model ranges. For those who like that: conversion, etc, no one is going to force you to play Steel Legion with generic models.

I'd also like to see Veterans moved back to the Troop section. It allows for people to make a bit more "elite" Guard armies that aren't scions and it makes it much easier for new players to start the army. This would ensure that newer players could more easily fill up those 500 - 1000pt armies and not be forced to buy half a dozen infantry squads just to get their foot in the door.

Vanguard detachment. It may not be "optimal," but that's what it's there for. If we're not looking at all infantry then also tanks. Mixed infantry/vehicles is a much better feeling option in 9th.

Also want platoons back. They only went away in 8th so we could easily take more detachments, so I have hope.

I disagree. I treat 3-6 edition army design as one big thing because they were (formations in 7th made things different enough to a separate thing). Guard where a horde army without the squad sizes to be a horde army. Six troops choices, max, at 10 per choice = 60 infantry. Compared to orks who could reach 180 because their max squad size was 30. The introduction of the Brigade detachment, with up to 12 troop choices, fixed that. Platoons are unnecessary; an infantry-based fast attack choice to make all infantry brigades is what's needed. 

Vets going back to troops would be nice especially since they're nothing to write home about in their current iteration

I'd be okay with them staying elites if they got their special rule options back. I have one squad that's really just been a BS 3+ delivery system for a bunch of plasma and a lascannon; the latter, I find, is worth the elite slot. My problem is having to spend so many elite slots on individual characters. What I'd like is for Regimental Advisors to something like two can be taken for no slot for each Company and/or Platoon Commander (and I'd include Commissars as Advisors).

I just wouldn’t get fancy with it. Infantry platoon consists of 1-3 infantry squads. You could add extra options such as heavy weapon teams or special weapon teams, but maybe that would be too powerful? Perhaps in order to unlock those options you have to take a command squad? Not really the main thing here though, so let’s start with Infantry platoons being 1-3 infantry squads.

Then do the same for a heavy weapons platoon, consists of 1-3 heavy weapons squads.

Make infantry feel like infantry again.

I don't necessarily agree with the sentiment, but I can get on board with the enthusiasm. The SoB codex does have some examples of units not taking up detachment slots if another unit is included in the detachment. Personally, I think a few unit fixes are needed instead to replicate the feel. Captain Incompetence's idea of replacing Platoon Commanders with full Platoon Command Squads, for example, or Command Squads don't take up detachment slots.

I'd quite like either, Elysians folded into the new codex, its not like there aren't other regiments without models anymore so why not? Maybe with a custom detachment with more flyer slots and no Heavy slots?

Or the Scion range expanded a bit so they can take a brigade or special detachement. They could have drop sentinels with deep strike and bs3+ in fast attack, the tarrantual turrets with deep strike in heavy support and/or a special detachment which removes some slots and adds more flyer slots.

Just the idea that in 8th you could see catachan, tallarn, and cadia, have flavor and (to some degree) compete on the table is tremendous. So, I hope they sustain that. Some editions you could scarcely field an any regiment of any relevance on the table. My wish/beg/prayer is that krieg isn't squatted. Profits are up despite a pandemic and recession. I'm hoping plans to expand are still in the works. It'd be awesome if Krieg was rolled into the codex. Though I seem to recall a new FW index was supposed to launch already with the new edition... However, I will say that if the 8th Ed release schedule is any guide we won't be waiting long for the guard codex.

Yeah Baneblades with t9 would be cool. Also maybe a 2+ save or a similar Rule as the Mars Alpha Pattern Tanks from Forge World.

They also need new Rules to field them. Now you have to either Play 3 of them and pay 6CP or you have to pay 3CP for the Super Heavy Auxilary and 1CP for the Tank ace.

Either way it isn,t anywhere close to worth it.

Maybe allow us to take one in a spearhead?

I'd really like a way to take a Stormtrooper detachment without a penalty, or a reduced one (as should be the case for other closely aligned armies, such as CSM and Daemons). I might accept a fully fleshed out Stormtrooper list as an alternative... depends if they do it properly :tongue.:

I'd really like a way to take a Stormtrooper detachment without a penalty, or a reduced one (as should be the case for other closely aligned armies, such as CSM and Daemons). I might accept a fully fleshed out Stormtrooper list as an alternative... depends if they do it properly :tongue.:

Fun fact: my 40 Scion infantry bodies, Master of the Fleet, and two Valkyries are exactly 1,000 points now with the new costs. I actually really like it for a 1k list, but expanding it? Seven infantry units means I could take seven Taurox Primes. I could take up to four more Valkyries in the single Battalion I have. I could take more Scion squads. I don't know if I've got another forty Scion bodies in me. If there were some other Scion kit in Fast Attack or Heavy Support to provide variety then I could see doing another 10-20 infantry and filling the rest with Tauroxes.

Combined squads as an inbuilt ability of infantry squads rather than as a stratagum. A bit like marines combat squads in reverse.

Why not more like combat squads, do in deployment or strat for during game?

It's purely selfish as I like to jump 2 steel legion infantry squads out of 2 chimeras and join them together. I do like to also try and make them fearless, with multiple orders and the option of a 3+/4++. Especially against chaos. I suppose I'm cheap and don't want to pay the cp any more because technically I'm nerfing the unit because of the new blast rule. I prefer it as baiting as nothing says shoot me more than a large flashlight fusilade!

• 3 weeks later...