Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Alternate Bladeguard Kit leaked

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

WrathOfTheLion

WrathOfTheLion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,597 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels, WB & SW

The pauldrons of Bladeguard vets appear somewhat similar to those of Mk. X Gravis. Looking at both the Snap-Fit and Multipart minis, it looks like there's additional layers of armor beneath the pauldrons compared to, say, the Intercessors kit. Perhaps the Gravis pauldrons included in the Chapter upgrade kits are intended to work for these guys too?

That should work for most chapters and would make sense if they're interchangeable. The DA one won't work however, since they use Deathwing iconography and the gravis ones are for the normal chapter iconography.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion, 23 July 2020 - 06:25 PM.

sml_gallery_48988_16308_4210.png

AenarIT

AenarIT

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 323 posts
  • Faction: Tau Necrons SM

The pauldrons of Bladeguard vets appear somewhat similar to those of Mk. X Gravis. Looking at both the Snap-Fit and Multipart minis, it looks like there's additional layers of armor beneath the pauldrons compared to, say, the Intercessors kit. Perhaps the Gravis pauldrons included in the Chapter upgrade kits are intended to work for these guys too?

I can confirm that the Bladeguard pads are the same size as the Gravis ones.

I've spent a good hour cutting off the pad from the Bladeguard Ancient in order to use an engraved Gravis pad with chapter iconography on it.

• mel_danes, Reinhard, viewasjack and 2 others like this

Master Sheol

Master Sheol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,708 posts

I've spent a good hour cutting off the pad from the Bladeguard Ancient in order to use an engraved Gravis pad with chapter iconography on it.
I don't Have to cut pads cause i have photo etched DA chapter badges ;)
“Battles are won by courage, by standing firm in the face of overwhelming adversity, by advancing into certain death when every instinct is screaming at you to turn.”

Lord Blackwood

Lord Blackwood

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,574 posts
  • Faction: Knights / VI / SoB

friendly reminder that shops like pop goes the monkey exist , where you can find chapter insignia's to just glue onto the shoulders the models come with. 

• mel_danes, Son of Carnelian, Lord Marshal and 2 others like this

dogfender

dogfender

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,058 posts
  • Faction: Relictors
Unfortunately I haven’t been able to find any decent Relictors icons, especially thin ones. Why does everyone make them all so chunky?

Hoping on Saturday we get some idea of when the multi kit will be released. Also wanting some variety in power weapons

Blindhamster

Blindhamster

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,138 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

friendly reminder that shops like pop goes the monkey exist , where you can find chapter insignia's to just glue onto the shoulders the models come with. 

also transfers. Which aren't too difficult to do once you've got the right tools.

• Inquisitor Eisenhorn and Reinhard like this

Primaris Blood Angels: Wins 4 Draws 0 Losses 2

Blood Angels 3rd Company Wins 25 Draws 5 Losses 13

Heresy Blood Angels: Wins 4 Draws 0 Losses 2
Blood Angels 4th company: Wins 10 Draws 3 Losses 4

gallery_62972_10568_12006.jpggallery_14877_13354_6399.jpggallery_62972_14467_4048.jpg

Blood Angels Primaris Blog

tvih

tvih

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,319 posts
  • Faction: CF/BT/Orks/SoB/IG

also transfers. Which aren't too difficult to do once you've got the right tools.

Given the limitations of print tech, the PGTM insignias tend to be overly embossed though, so they protrude a lot which doesn't look good. Full shoulderpads look a lot better. But yeah, basically all my primaris except for 3 Inceptors are box set stuff so no separate shoulders. And of course my Dark Imperium models for example are already put together. I really should've carved out one shoulder from each before I painted and glued them. Now it would be... harder. I have a bunch of oldmarine chapter shoulders to put them on. Though if I want Inceptor shoulders, I guess I'd need the IF Primaris Upgrade kit. And well, with Bladeguard, I guess I'd need yet more of them. Damn it.

And for transfers, I'd need stuff like Micro-Sol/Set because of the shape of the Fists insignia, it won't adhere to a shoulder pad's shape otherwise, and even with those it's actually a lot of work. And those products aren't even available just about anywhere these days. I'd have to order from abroad. Expensive.

AenarIT

AenarIT

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 323 posts

Exactly this. The PGTM are too thick and good quality transfers for the Red Scorpions (my chapter) don’t exist anymore, as the official ones from Forge World went OOP years ago and most of the custom decal printers don’t want to have anything to do with GW’s IP.
I had to buy tons of 3D printed shoulder pads from Shapeways.

might be worth looking into home print options. you can buy decal paper for doing it.

I did think about that, but home printers can't print white ink (needed for the Red Scorpions logo). I chose the most complicated and expensive chapter to collect, I can't blame anyone else but me biggrin.png

Anyway, back on topic. I'm pretty sure that tomorrow they'll show the alternate Bladeguard kit. I doubt it'll involve a two-handed sword option because these guys have a huge torso (with all the decorations going around) and relatively short arms. 
I hope for a thunder hammer option (classic -1 to hit but higher strenght and damage), so that the Bladeguard Ancient's +1 to hit aura becomes even better. Another option could be a pair of falchions, like the GK Strike Squad, to grant them an additional attack at a slightly weaker profile.
The only thing I'm sure about is that the multipart kit will cost an arm and a leg blush.png

Edited by AenarIT, 24 July 2020 - 11:26 AM.

tvih

tvih

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,319 posts
  • Faction: CF/BT/Orks/SoB/IG

Exactly this. The PGTM are too thick and good quality transfers for the Red Scorpions (my chapter) don’t exist anymore, as the official ones from Forge World went OOP years ago and most of the custom decal printers don’t want to have anything to do with GW’s IP.
I had to buy tons of 3D printed shoulder pads from Shapeways.

I was just thinking that since Gravis pads are basically terminator size, maybe i'll just use terminator pads for my Bladeguard, seeing as they'll be painted as Templars. Because Emperor knows I have plenty of terminator pads from the BT upgrade kits left over. For my CF Inceptors and Eradicators I'd still need the IF upgrade kit or transfers because no spare IF terminator pads.

Edited by tvih, 24 July 2020 - 11:36 AM.

Boyadventurer

Boyadventurer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 572 posts

Here's a shot from the new codex. It looks like it *might* be an awesome pose

116091987_3351306118255446_3376662700002

• Silas7 likes this

gallery_48988_15465_18333.pnggallery_48988_15465_40221.pnggallery_45765_13882_2878.pnggallery_96397_14126_674.png

Juggernut

Juggernut

++ MEDICAE MONTANEA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,727 posts
  • Faction: All Things Khornate
Cleaning his blade, maybe? I think I really like it, but I can’t tell exactly what’s happening. :P

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

AenarIT

AenarIT

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 323 posts

Dual wielding falchions imho

Klod

Klod

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 294 posts

Good to hear. Its just... I've dulled so many blades cutting off all the pads in the Dark Imperium box. Here we go again...

battle captain corpus

battle captain corpus

++ CENTURIO COHORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,794 posts
  • Faction: Genesis Chapter 4th Co. M37
- unhooks Crozius -

....keep on topic please folks. 3rd party shoulder pads, transfers, brass icons etc are worthy topics....just maybe not here ;)

- thumbs activation rune -

-][- Now....stay in topic :) -][-

BCC
  • Triszin likes this
BCC's Hobby Guide:
- Be Grim Dark not Grim Derp
- Hobby for 15 minutes a day
- Your miniatures are always the best painted in the room
- Game with your heart and don't care about losing
- Make sure your opponent is having fun 

Nova_Dew

Nova_Dew

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 418 posts

Want to say, I find the sergeant for eliminators quite badly pigeon holed. Ether he takes the carbine and becomes "shoot better" sergeant with defence angle or takes a sniper rifle and never uses the buff. Just how I feel with them btw, would of likely been a better option to add a tax to additional eliminators.

However I will make a comment on the pose thing as I debated this with a GW store guy (and a good friend too, good fun to play against). The models without question look much better than the old firstborns, we can't debate that. They do have better poses which is great, can't argue that considering all firstborn marines are generally a variant of standing there at attention or aiming (or if you get vanguard/assault marines, a variant of running or jumping) which only had so many poses you could get with the main variance being angle of how high he holds his power sword or how far up he holds his boltgun, so that part isn't really debatable imo: the new Primaris poses are much better and for your troopers and other general units this is fine, you don't need each one striking a pose like the Ginyu Force!

However the main remiss is the degradation of kitbashing being a thing. One of the cool things about the Firstborn sets of marines is if you buy a Sternguard box, Assault Marine box, vanguard box, Tactical box, devastator box and a commander box (or any combination of any of those) they are all full compatible with each other. Chest pieces can be swapped around, arms traded and armaments given to other guys. Wanted some Combi-weapons? Sternguard box will see you right. Wanted melee? Vanguard! Just wanted a bunch of pistols and chainswords, assault marines.

The ability to make us of parts across the range is what made them so special and fun. It is fun to think about the possible combinations of pieces you can put together for firstborn marines and its fun to experiment. This didn't hurt any of the boxes ether to note, each one was still functional and gave you the unit you bought. Granted the downside of the older kits is a major one: you needed multiple same boxes to use optimal load outs for certain squads (devastators are a big one since most loadouts are best done 4 of the same). (quick aside: why can't tacticals take heavy flamers...I could get some major sales of the sternguard box for GW to salamander players if they did that biggrin.png).

So there is trade off in all directions. It is arguable that Firstborns had too many options which made any kit for them impossible to make complete (though if they updated the tactical box to include all their options I would be impressed) while so far all Primaris boxes except for a notable exception have all been complete packages from when you buy it. Each one gives all options they have, exceptions being early release versions like shadowspear and (possibly) indominatus. The notable exception I speak of is Intercessors who have their sergeant options locked behind chapter specific upgrade sprues which imo is just bogus and feels back.

It leads to my gripe about primaris being half baked with their release. Why isn't the Primaris box 5 sprues, with the 5th being melee stuff for the assault variant instead of having a whole other box for what is effectively a niche variant squad. If they had the option for jump packs, I would then agree with it but they don't so just why? All just so they get running legs? Bit weak. But oh well, we are still waiting on the Gravis Captain to be released and now he is technically OOP...so we now have a model within the current codex that isn't made anymore? What happens now, we move a him to legends? Keep him in the codex...but that violates their "we don't make it, we don't have a sheet for it officially" policy...so what do they do now? 

Bit late but at one point the ability to swap parts between SM kits was something GW pushed hard, something Jes Goodwin was particularly happy about and something he always wanted himself as a model maker, oh the golden age of SM kit-bashing and for those who could conversion.

• Robbienw likes this

Silas7

Silas7

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 595 posts
  • Faction: Crimson Fists, Blood Angels

One thing I hated about Dark Imperium models is that they were the 'budget' versions of the multipart models. If you compare the models from the DI with the multipart one's, you will see that they are of lower quality. I hope this isn't the case with Indomitus. The fact that Indomitus Bladeguard don't have scabbards is the first red sign.

Who needs scabbards when your busy doing the Emperors work?

For those wondering what the pistol looks like on the shield I took the following picture, the knee pad is still attached though for obvious reasons. One the Indomitus squad only one has this option and the other two are molded on.

It does actually fit quite snuggly behind the shield but no idea if they will be seperate on the final multipart guys.

While I like the idea, unfortunately the grip of the pistol is now reversed and doesn't make sense in a cross draw context.

I prefer the primaris models generally.

I think the slightly less bling aesthetic was a good thing, as it allows veterans to be more obviously veterans - although tbh the bladeguard are probably still a little heavy on the bling for my general tastes.

I think the Bladeguard are perfect for deco volume. They are all essentially equipped with sergeant+ level gear after-all thumbsup.gif

gallery_48988_15465_10130.png gallery_45765_11565_21922.png

Brother Adelard

Brother Adelard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,848 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars
I wonder if the multipart kit will be like the Dawneagle Jetbikes. Giving you an option to build one as either a squad member or a HQ? That way people with the existing three wouldn't have a wasted model if the squad size moves to 5.
  • Aarik likes this

O787td6.jpggallery_38474_6916_6036.jpg

MegaVolt87

MegaVolt87

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,747 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors

I wonder if the multipart kit will be like the Dawneagle Jetbikes. Giving you an option to build one as either a squad member or a HQ? That way people with the existing three wouldn't have a wasted model if the squad size moves to 5.

But then we don't get the privilege of buying separate cpt and Lt's clam packs at the premium for character models. whistling.gif

• Brother Adelard, StrangerOrders and SufficientAnonymity like this
gallery_154982_15362_23624.jpg

My Iron Warriors Project   Guns for the guns god!, Bullets for the Brass throne!

Master Sheol

Master Sheol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,708 posts

But then we don't get the privilege of buying separate cpt and Lt's clam packs at the premium for character models. whistling.gif
Nope
The new shield lt and cpt are included only in the new starter seta so you will have to buy also more marines, some booklets you don't need and also some necrons you will have to find somebody to sell them :D
“Battles are won by courage, by standing firm in the face of overwhelming adversity, by advancing into certain death when every instinct is screaming at you to turn.”

Blindhamster

Blindhamster

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,138 posts
Or, because people say they like to kitbash so much, they can use bits from the bladeguard kit combined with existing captain or lieutenant kits
  • Aarik, Sete and BladeOfVengeance like this

Primaris Blood Angels: Wins 4 Draws 0 Losses 2

Blood Angels 3rd Company Wins 25 Draws 5 Losses 13

Heresy Blood Angels: Wins 4 Draws 0 Losses 2
Blood Angels 4th company: Wins 10 Draws 3 Losses 4

gallery_62972_10568_12006.jpggallery_14877_13354_6399.jpggallery_62972_14467_4048.jpg

Blood Angels Primaris Blog

BladeOfVengeance

BladeOfVengeance

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 436 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels

But then we don't get the privilege of buying separate cpt and Lt's clam packs at the premium for character models. whistling.gif
Nope
The new shield lt and cpt are included only in the new starter seta so you will have to buy also more marines, some booklets you don't need and also some necrons you will have to find somebody to sell them :D

Or you could just happily make your own primaris captain and LT from the blade guard kit??? As long as they’re the same load out then you’re golden, people have been dying for options for years! this kit probably gets us most of the way there for any kitbashed HQ
  • Blindhamster and Aarik like this

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users