New Player Advice - how to equip Nobz squads...?

MithrilForge

Ok so another Newbie question :sweat:

I have some Nobz (i think ill have about 10 available)

and was thinking of equipping them simply with slugga's and big choppa's and  getting a trukk for em eventually...

now I ask, is there a better option to go with (Looking at 9th Ed) or is there even a shooty version i'm overlooking?...

Again , any and all feedback happily taken onboard :biggrin.: 

Cheers, Mithril 

I did not see shooty Nobz in 8th edition, and it seems that trend is continueing in 9th. They are in a tough little spot, as they are Elite unit and that slot is contested with loads of stuff. Mainly Meganobz are the dudes who seem to take the role of Melee carnage unit as Elite.

As it stands with leaked points for units, Nobz wielding Killsaw can't be weak.

Melee all the way. Could add a kombi-skorcha for giggles, but even that isn't as good anymore with no universal overwatch (yeah, even nobz get charged from time to time). If you happened to have the bits, there's basically no reason to give them sluggas at all, it's better to just have choppa + choppa, choppa + klaw, choppa + big choppa. An extra melee attack hitting on 3+ is much more valuable than a crappy slugga shot hitting 5+ (or 6+ in 9th if the target is in cover).

As Tvih said, definitely go with Choppa/Choppa, Choppa/Big Choppa, Choppa/Power Klaw, or Choppa/Killsaw. Don't think of it as adding one attack, but adding 10 across the whole unit; it adds up.

ok then, shooty's out,

So when equipping say... 5x Nobz, I would go -  2 with choppa/choppa, the boss with Claw /Choppa and 1x with Big Choppa/Choppa and last one Choppa/Killsaw...

would that be usable I guess i'd remove the double choppa Nobz first as casualties?...

Mithril

++EDIT++ just saw toaae's response too :sweat:

Edited by mithrilforge

Your other option, is to build Nobs in a wide selection of weapon options and use them as leaders for units of Boys. 

List flexibility is a good thing for the long term health of a collection, even it its not optimized for the meta of the 'now'  

Edited by Warsmith Uveron

Nobz are still a decent unit even under 9th ed points. They are usually my go-to for a melee payload in a Bonecrusha.

Usually opt for a mixed bag of weapons - a few dual choppa in case of casualties, 4-5 Big Choppa and a Klaw or two. (& an ammo runt in case the transport gets wasted)

Megas are a good unit for Da Jump as they can survive if they dont make their charge. But much higher points of course.