Charlo's Lost Crusade

Charlo

So I'm steamrolling into 9th and the Crusade system with a new army; The Sisters of Battle!

After picking up the box last year I figured this was the perfect excuse to paint them.

I was going to wait until they were fully done, but I'm enjoying the WIPs too much to hold them back from you lovely lot ;)

Narrative for the force is that they are a byproduct of the Indomitus Crusade; a loose collection of Sisters all found at a loose end, be this from casualties, seperation or any number of warp shenanigans.

Their number is constantly in flux with refugee's and hangers-on from other Orders who have either perished or become seperated from their main force. Because of this, Sisters of the Order all display their personal colours on their battleplate and robes to reflect their impermanent nature of deployment. Upon reuinting with a force of their Order they are given a choice, to remain with the Lost Crusade until the end of their days or return to their original Orders. There is no shame in either of these options, but many Sisters have taken up permanent residency in the fleet-based formation, relishing the oppurtunity to purge Heretics across the galaxy.

Real World Reason: I couldn't decide on a paint scheme and then got very inspired look at some old Bretonnian stuff - plus the Fler De Lis ties it all together ;)

So yeah, they're all painted a mishmash of Red/ Blue/ Yellow/ Black & White, like the Errant Knights of yore!

1W5Lo9J.jpg?1

hyKCck3.jpg?1

gHfSYLG.jpg

wow she's like a Howling griffon :wub:  and the rest are mega cool, cannot wait to see this come to fruition... 

and the Bretonnian influence is pure win :thumbsup:

Need Moar :laugh.:

Cheers, Mithril

Looking Good!

You're using contrast paints, so I've got a question. How hard was it to do the split schemes with contrast?

I've been planning to do a halved scheme for my sisters, but I've been worried that the colors will bleed across the divide too much with contrast paints. 

wow she's like a Howling griffon :wub:  and the rest are mega cool, cannot wait to see this come to fruition... 

and the Bretonnian influence is pure win :thumbsup:

Need Moar :laugh.:

Cheers, Mithril

Moar will come soon enough! Cheers :biggrin.: it is 100% a way for me to scratch the 1/4'd scheme itch without committing to a full marine chapter!

Looking Good!

You're using contrast paints, so I've got a question. How hard was it to do the split schemes with contrast?

I've been planning to do a halved scheme for my sisters, but I've been worried that the colors will bleed across the divide too much with contrast paints. 

It was easy :smile.: just keep a steady brush hand and don't overload the brush for the "divide" lines. I didn't have any bleeding issues at all - just ensure one side is dry before you do the next obviously!

Open question: What do we think about the helms? I could just paint them to match the individual armours but i'm consdiering doing them all steel to push the knight theme... Thoughts?

Steel - Knight theme for sure, Although...do a test one first, "The best laid plans of mice and men often go astray... " in other words, it may not look how we envision it :tongue.:

also kudo's on the steady hand with contrast, that's kinda like a weird but rare skill :laugh.:

Mithril

The Errant Crusade grows in number!

The basic sisters squad are now all done bar basing and a few heads, and I hammered out 6 Repentia too (forgot to snap the rest). Went for a brown/ beige scheme for them not only to emulate Brettonian peasantry, but so they are a nice contrast with the bright sisters. Same colour purity seals (purple) tie them together.

Also, the Silver Helm idea worked :cool.: they need a highlight but paint is in the mail...

nY58orO.jpg?2

tJDBb0V.jpg

mnW4MGf.jpg

Love the concept Charlo! I couldn't resist either - but beyond a couple of tester models, I've not really made any progress just yet. Will follow your project with interest (as always!). 

You're a skilled painter.

Thanks Bjorn, that means a lot, truly!

It's all just practise and contrast doing the heavy lifting. Plus some trickery with metallic sharpie pens ;)

Love the concept Charlo! I couldn't resist either - but beyond a couple of tester models, I've not really made any progress just yet. Will follow your project with interest (as always!). 

Cheers Chaeron! Glad to have you following :thumbsup: Like I said it was purely the Crusade system and a need want to work through some backlog that lead to it. Then my indecisivness helped inspire the colours :woot:

I've gotten the weathering started on the Battle Sister squad and also painted most of the faces and also started on the Seraphim (with some scratch built Hand Flamers) which i'll post when its a little more complete.

Are you running it as a Crusade force? If so, you've got an awesome story hook, with super campaign potential.

I also love multi-order/ detachment armies; I plan on exploring it a bit with my army and seeing if it is actually worth paying extra CP to have Bloody Rose for all your close combat needs, Martyred Ladies for a sacrificial faith battery and steady Sacred Rose to hold the objectives and provide cover fire. What I expect to find is that a two way split can work, but a three way split would offer diminishing returns.

Anyway, your concept is cool and the models look great.

Yeah! The Sisters Box is basically about 25PL (in current money anyway) so it fits perfectly into the starting army for a Crusade.

I'll be running them as Bloody Rose to begin with (I just love the lore behind their acts of strength and fury) and figured it fit a crusading force the best.

My opponent is playing 'crons.

The current fluff I have is that I'll probably get beaten up by the Necrons and have some Marines come in and save the Order, as an excuse to paint the Indomitus stuff :D

Here is a big dump of progress!

You can see some finished* Battle Sisters with weathering and the Seraphim who are just about ready for that too!

*I need to do some metallic weathering too, but haven't bothered yet!

kIGLQwf.jpg?2

lHQwauO.jpg?1

vAKKKnZ.jpg

DC1bQQt.jpg

DCHvAJv.jpg

Your painting, detailing, and weathering skills are most enviable.

Cheers bud! I assure you it's nothing amazing, lots of cheating with metallic sharpies, contrast paint and a bit of sponge weathering with Dryad Bark :wink:

Here is a Seraphim post-weathering for you all!

zh1e08K.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Your painting, detailing, and weathering skills are most enviable.

Cheers bud! I assure you it's nothing amazing, lots of cheating with metallic sharpies, contrast paint and a bit of sponge weathering with Dryad Bark :wink:

Here is a Seraphim post-weathering for you all!

zh1e08K.jpg

Question, what metallic markers did you use? I want to pick some up for my High Elves for AoS.