This isn't a list post!

I ran all Death Company for the vast majority of the games I played in 8th and 7th. Even if I lost, the Death Company did their job if most of the opponent's forces died. I win more when I set my own objectives.

With points changes in 9th, I'm going to field less models. But the real problem is detachments.

I was using a Vanguard and a Supreme Command detachment. After upgrades to Smash Captain and relics, I had 3 or less command points, as again, the theme was no one is supposed to survive.

How can I get the following into a reasonable number of detachments and still use relics and make the characters death company or chaplains?

No primaris models.

Tycho the Lost

Astorath

Lemartes

Captain Jump Pack Storm Shield, thunder hammer, Angels Wing

Sanguinary Priest, Icon of the Angel, jump pack, power sword

Sanguinary Priest, jump pack, power sword

5+ death company squad

5+ death company squad

5+ death company squad

Death Company dreadnought

Furioso Dreadnought (Chaplain Dreadnought)

Stormraven

Stormraven

Drop pod

Edited by Father Mapple

The only way to have 6 HQs would be to take 2 battalions or 3 vanguards. So, based on points, I don't think there would be a way to take all those specific things in one list. 

3 vanguards would require 9 Elite choices, so you'd have to add in way more death company squads or dreadnoughts.

2 battalions would require 6 troops, so you'd have to add in troops.

Your best bet would probably be to take 2 vanguard detachments. Drop 2 HQs and add 1 elite to make it work. 

Maybe take Sanguinary Novitiate instead of Priest? But giving them a jump pack makes them a Legends entry. 

The "simple" cut is take out 2 Sanguinary Priests and then add another Elite's choice if the new points even allow. Maybe that is where I need to start and see how much I need to trim anyways. But wounding on 2s versus Marines in combat was a lot of fun...

In terms of detachments, you could take a batallion and a vanguard

battalion you need to add troops, assume 3 squads of scouts to minimize points.

then 3 DC and 3 of your characters.

2 Stormravens 

Drop pod

Vanguard is 4th character

DC dread

Furioso Dread

Sang. Novitiate

Points are going to be a problem for you though.   You'll be at or over 2000 points in 8th edition with the units you have above once you add the scouts.  So you're definitely over 2000 points in 9th.   Wasn't sure if you were putting Jump packs on your DC (assume you are).     If so, what goes in the drop pod?  

Something has to give there, so I would personally drop Tycho (as he's not really worth the points in 8th ed. IMHO, and he now goes up in 9th).   Also probably drop the drop pod unless you have a clear reason to take it.

If you did that, you can make the sanguinary novitiate back into sanguinary priest, and move one of the DC squads into the vanguard.       You'd then probably be able to get into 2000 points in 9th.

Edited by Montoya

It was a 2000pt list in 8th.

One squad of death company was on foot with bolters, with 1 Power fist. Either Tycho or a foot chaplain would go with them in the drop pod.

2 squads of death company were 5 man jump pack units. The priests went with the jumpers. 1 Dreadnought on the back of each storm Raven. Lemartes and astorath split with the jumpers as well. Turn 3 assaults were pretty epic with those setups.

I'm in the same boat as I need to rejig many of my themed lists (which includes my 1250 and 1850 DC ones).

Getting the balance I want in the theme as well as working out how much CP I can realistically syphon off before the game begins is going to be tricky. Trial and error I suppose.

Once we have access to the full rules and points we/you can assess how you want to play and what needs to be benched - you could drop Astorath for a regular Chaplain, perhaps.

For what it's worth, @Father Mapple, I've done similar lists in the past. I ran Scouts (or would now be Incursors) with the fluff being they were the "spotters" calling in the "heavy rain" of the Death Company strike. 

Don't know if that fits what you're looking for, but could be a fun way to try to have your cake and eat it too. 

I'm still wrapping my head around the detachment stuff for 9th as well, so I can not comment there.

That's a lot of toys and not many boys - not what you're looking for but can you fit in more DC? All of your current models can fit in both stormravens. Cant comment on detachments as I'm not fully clued in on 9th yet. 

Instead of trying to squish your current army into the new detachment system I'd rather try to build a list with the same theme in mind from the ground up and once you are happy with the list see what you already have and what you still need in your collection. It's the less frustrating way. :sweat:

Indefragable: yeah, well taken. Or maybe the scouts are all that's left or are calling for relief.

Zenith: There's 8/9 bodies in the drop pod as well. But I will have to cut more than just the protests for 9th edition points, as Jolenai mentioned how it's affecting his lists.

Good advice Panzer. I was looking at it some yesterday. I like the invasion style lists. I used to null deploy a lot in 5th edition and do drop pods, storm Ravens, and land raiders (remember deep striking those?). And have enjoyed the moments of deep striking in 8th as there's at least a chance for a charge after coming down.

How about taking some of the new Assault Intercessors and just painting them black? With our special rules, they are certainly choppy enough to fit in the list, even if they don't technically have Black Rage. And maybe when we get our 9th Ed codex, there will be a proper entry for Primaris DC. I know it is not perfect but it is a work-around that seems to solve most of your problems and would net you another 3 CPs.

That had crossed my mind, for sure Karhedron. I just haven't gotten any primaris yet. I'm really insistent in going to either paint or give away all these first born Marines before I get primaris. So only 2 more years to go at this rate.... Lol.