Mournival events rules

GodEmperorOfMankind

I like the Centurion mode for more infantry in the Battlefield.

For the rest, i dont like them. I think they are full of faction favoritism and wishlisting.

I not going to play with someone insisting to use wargear, units or custom caracters from that document.

If you insist to use that rules you are "That Guy" for me and i am not missing anything.

20 years 40k have shown what to expect from such house rules and its always been the worst experience playing against such stuff.

Same for events allowing that rules. Not going there and rather spend my time elsewhere.

Sorry, to much bad experience with such stuff and i dont need more like that.

For the rest, i dont like them. I think they are full of faction favoritism and wishlisting.

I not going to play with someone insisting to use wargear, units or custom caracters from that document.

If you insist to use that rules you are "That Guy" for me and i am not missing anything.

20 years 40k have shown what to expect from such house rules and its always been the worst experience playing against such stuff.

Same for events allowing that rules. Not going there and rather spend my time elsewhere.

I can certainly understand the hesitation there. Having played against it though as well as with it these boys did their playtesting.

Our club in New England has adopted them whole hog and have loved it.

Custom characters do get a bad reputation because more often then not they get abused by WAAC players. Needs Event Organizer oversight.

Hey brothers,

I'm assuming that everyone here knows about this fan made supplement:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WZrgXOaA374H-qxKPEJxMmjFiA2bp7kg&fbclid=IwAR0jdxU0iZ6U9jzroHnhOmRvomynGhJ6RqKH74Y4q8kaf8-HhqBW7z6yRik

What's it like to use/play with?

Fantastic. I love it.

And no, I am not "that guy" like some people seem to think people who use these are lol.

I can certainly understand the hesitation there. Having played against it though as well as with it these boys did their playtesting.

Custom characters do get a bad reputation because more often then not they get abused by WAAC players. Needs Event Organizer oversight.

Its not the custom caracters that are the worst in my eyes.

Its alot of wishlisting in there in my eyes that offenes me.

It was decided by the game Designers that Destroyer Marines are rare in the Salamanders Legion that you are not allowex to play them.

Now you get a special snowflake Salamders Destroyer Squad.

Or Banestrike Ammo for everyone and their dog for Alphas, which is discribed as rare and hard to manufacture.

Sorry, dont think wishlist units and that other stuff are fun to play against.

It was decided by the game Designers that Destroyer Marines are rare in the Salamanders Legion that you are not allowex to play them.

Or Banestrike Ammo for everyone and their dog for Alphas, which is discribed as rare and hard to manufacture.

Out of curiosity have you actually PLAYED against the ME stuff?

I am not saying your argument doesn't have merit but this feels like a knee jerk reaction.

I like the changes to Sons of Horus Reavers, because with the Mournival version they are actually 100% worth their points. As it stands they cost far too much for what they do, so I like that change, and it turns out it just boiled down to a slight points drop on the initial unit, and chainaxes for free. Delicious, as I said I love Heavy Destroyers too for just deleting infantry units that look at them funny, but they are as vulnerable as any other terminator-armoured unit.

I am not saying your argument doesn't have merit but this feels like a knee jerk reaction.

Its just 2 things i memorized i dont like as an example, there is more i dont like.

Personly i dont play against any sort of houserule for units, wargear or characters. I have been playing 40k since third edition with other games too and the last 10 years without any group or club. In those years i never had fun in a game with houserules.

I am not going to waste my time with such a game again.

If you and others like them, its ok, but dont expect to have a game with me if you bring that stuff to the table.

Very much in the spirit of the Original Tempus fugitives stuff, very much in favour :) 

Ofc if you are a matched play kinda guy you can always stick with that too ymmv

Its just 2 things i memorized i dont like as an example, there is more i dont like.

Personly i dont play against any sort of houserule for units, wargear or characters. I have been playing 40k since third edition with other games too and the last 10 years without any group or club. In those years i never had fun in a game with houserules.

If you and others like them, its ok, but dont expect to have a game with me if you bring that stuff to the table.

Fair Enough.

Sorry you have been without a group for so long.

My other point is i think alot of the rules arent really balanced.

For example

Alphas get Banestrike which is usefull but then you look at IF which got Mastercrafted for guns they already use with a BS of 5.

I cant see anyone wasting points for that.

Then there is stuff to break Game Design like that Indipendend Tech Marine.

I think the general idea was that you have to buy a Forgelord as a tax to ad Rad Grenades to your CC squad and not a cheap Techi.

Thats just some stuff in the first read that dabbles to much in WAAC teritory of rules abuse for my taste.

Ammunition and some units are a bit to much faction favoritism / bias to bear too.

Then the VIth watch pack. A squad Leader with WS 7 on the charge? Thats special caracter level on par with Sigismund.

I could go on with the stuff i where just cant think of anything good about the authors.

Not to mention other stuff i can only think of as faction envy.

I doubt even if i had a permanent group i would play with such rules as i cant find anything good except the Centurion mode.

My other point is i think alot of the rules arent really balanced.

For example

Alphas get Banestrike which is usefull but then you look at IF which got Mastercrafted for guns they already use with a BS of 5.

I cant see anyone wasting points for that.

Then there is stuff to break Game Design like that Indipendend Tech Marine.

I think the general idea was that you have to buy a Forgelord as a tax to ad Rad Grenades to your CC squad and not a cheap Techi.

Thats just some stuff in the first read that dabbles to much in WAAC teritory of rules abuse for my taste.

Ammunition and some units are a bit to much faction favoritism / bias to bear too.

Then the VIth watch pack. A squad Leader with WS 7 on the charge? Thats special caracter level on par with Sigismund.

I could go on with the stuff i where just cant think of anything good about the authors.

Not to mention other stuff i can only think of as faction envy.

I doubt even if i had a permanent group i would play with such rules as i cant find anything good except the Centurion mode.

Boy your a blast at parties huh?

Getting personal ist the best you can do?

Are you kidding?

You litteraly insulted everyone who likes these houserules as 'that guys' players and even said that you couldn't say anything positive about the authors of these rules. Not about the rules but about the people who wrote it without knowing any of them.

The Mournival event group on Facebook alone has roughly 1700 members and you have managed to insult them all and yet you seem to be surprised that this kind of ignorance causes grudges?

Dude, the mournival houserules are tested and changed constantly by the feedback of hundreds if not thousands of people who try them out in their private groups and and events all over the world and not some dark scheme of a couple of dudes who run IF and want to win whith them more easily.

And that's exactly what you should do as well.

Actual test some of these and maybe, just maybe, you could have some fun with it. Because that's what this game is about. Having fun.

Are you kidding?

You litteraly insulted everyone who likes these houserules as 'that guys' players and even said that you couldn't say anything positive about the authors of these rules. Not about the rules but about the people who wrote it without knowing any of them.

The Mournival event group on Facebook alone has roughly 1700 members and you have managed to insult them all and yet you seem to be surprised that this kind of ignorance causes grudges?

Dude, the mournival houserules are tested and changed constantly by the feedback of hundreds if not thousands of people who try them out in their private groups and and events all over the world and not some dark scheme of a couple of dudes who run IF and want to win whith them more easily.

Actual test some of these and maybe, just maybe, you could have some fun with it. Because that's what this game is about. Having fun.

And now i am the Bad guy, cause i think this rules have have been written out of the wet dream of some 14 year olds wishlist.

Then getting told i am probably no fun around from someone i dont know Personly in a public forum.

Please go on.

Are you kidding?

I agree with this, I think the negativity towards the people who use it isn't the same as negativity to the ruleset themselves

Are you kidding?

I agree with this, I think the negativity towards the people who use it isn't the same as negativity to the ruleset themselves

I am ok with people using that rules.

But i am not ok with people forcing me to use that rules, either in privat or on conventions, etc.

And yes, i have problems with the Authors of that rules.

Maybe i am alone with ny opinion.

The HH rulesset shows that the main Author had some internal balance in mind as some rule combinations were not made possible and now you have people kickking that balance out of the airlock in some points.

Thats where i think should that be? Or couldnt you take a step back?

I question a rules design that alows a nameless mook to have better stats then 95% of named caracters and such stuff.

Cause in my eyes someone writting such house rules failed its intention even worse than Matt Ward.

The HH rulesset shows that the main Author had some internal balance in mind as some rule combinations were not made possible and now you have people kickking that balance out of the airlock in some points.

Lol..clearly never looked into Inferno Custodians.... 

I've been using the Veteran Recon Squad and to me it fixes 90% of the issues that the recon squad really suffered from! 

Lol..clearly never looked into Inferno Custodians....

Inferno has the same problem. Lack of the main rules writer.

That book needs more FaQ Pages than book 1-6 together.

But honestly i never met a Custodes player. All people i know think they are some of the ugliest models GW made.

I have only seen a caracter and Dread painted to show of some nmm painting skills but never in the table.

Our league vetted and basically rejected the rules. Today they are a byword and in-group meme for "fan rules with weird balance".

Two main factors for not using the rules are the design methodology and the number of changes, resulting in compounding balance issues: The direction they took with writing the rules was to create unique entries that are exclusive to factions, often breaking design conventions within the core FW rules. Some of these options are very strong, others are ok, others are duds. This means that while there's insane variety, there also isn't an even distribution of new stuff with utility to all players. Multiply this by the number of new entries and you've effectively got a total conversion mod installed onto 30k. The core balance of the game is entirely changed and those changes are from a framework different from the studio. In effect, you've got The Mournival Presents: 30k.

Another piratical consideration is that it's a complex rulebook your group needs to read and grok (along with their regular updates addressing balance issues). Not everyone wants to do that, especially when not everyone is even getting access to something they want to use. Because of these reasons our league didn't adopt them.

The project itself is ambitious and I can't knock the effort or passion put into it.

Our league vetted and basically rejected the rules. Today they are a byword and in-group meme for "fan rules with weird balance".

Two main factors for not using the rules are the design methodology and the number of changes, resulting in compounding balance issues: The direction they took with writing the rules was to create unique entries that are exclusive to factions, often breaking design conventions within the core FW rules. Some of these options are very strong, others are ok, others are duds. This means that while there's insane variety, there also isn't an even distribution of new stuff with utility to all players. Multiply this by the number of new entries and you've effectively got a total conversion mod installed onto 30k. The core balance of the game is entirely changed and those changes are from a framework different from the studio. In effect, you've got The Mournival Presents: 30k.

Another piratical consideration is that it's a complex rulebook your group needs to read and grok (along with their regular updates addressing balance issues). Not everyone wants to do that, especially when not everyone is even getting access to something they want to use. Because of these reasons our league didn't adopt them.

The project itself is ambitious and I can't knock the effort or passion put into it.

For sure. You group has to be 100 percent on board to use them in any official sense.

Here we made the book public in our clubs FB group, gave people a month and held a vote.