Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Carry Case - Tray Material

Foam Carry Case

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

MetalMammoth

MetalMammoth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 200 posts

I've got myself a nice big toolbox from a tried and tested brand I like - (Keter ROC, if anyone's interested).

I'm currently in the process of finding proper material for the minifigure trays I intend to fill it with.

I've heard about the pros and cons of foam vs magnetized racks, and ultimately decided to go with foam, as it's simple, low cost, and generally a project that can be finished quickly and efficiently.

The question is, what kind of foam?

I've already had a recommendation for memory foam, but it turns out it's regarded as premium mattress material, and it's priced accordingly in the shops I have access to. (I intend to avoid international deliveries.)

A toolshop sells perforated foam sheets in more or less the right size. The exact material is undisclosed, but it looks like the same stuff youtuber-wargamers recommend for home made carry cases.

The drawbacks are, it's between half again or twice as expensive as my other options, and I anticipate it might start to fall apart along the perforations after some use. I also doubt it could hold it's shape very well if lifted out of the case while loaded.

Another shops sells two different kinds of foam sheets at way better prices; They are unperforated, which I prefer, and have no problem with cutting it to size by myself.

Thing is, one of them is EVA foam, and the other Polyfoam, both I suspect might be too rigid to keep the figures safe. The shop deigned not to respond to my letter of inquiry, so that remains a mistery.

Does anyone have an opinion on the matter?

Edited by MetalMammoth, 22 July 2020 - 07:18 PM.

lhg033

lhg033

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,340 posts

Do you know anyone who works in IT that purchases network equipment fairly regularly?

The company I work for moved offices a few years back and had to put new network switches in the new building, a stack of 3 switches per floor plus gear in the comms room. Every piece of kit arrived in a fairly durable card box with a 1-2 inch foam boarder and thinner top/bottom pieces (flat one side, indents on the other). All of this was going to be chucked out until I pointed out some 'people' might want it. The thinner bits work pretty well as layers.  A lot of gear does come in shaped polystyrene though too which is less useful to us.

Another reason I say check with IT - they may purchase peli cases (or another brand) for backup tapes to go offsite and may have spare/unused layers of pluck foam to make space for the number of tapes they need to store which they may be willing to give you.

• MetalMammoth likes this

gallery_20758_7799_19457.jpggallery_21629_2989_32489.gif

Tyberos the Red Wake

Tyberos the Red Wake

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,807 posts
  • Faction: Carcharodon Astra

Foam is not as protective as no-touch magnetic racks, but it's still a good option for protecting and transporting varnished plastic and resin miniatures. The type of foam that carrying case companies use is the one that's soft to the touch and has give. It is definitely very floppy without a backing plate and is still a bit un-rigid even with support. It's not firm and will yield to light pressure. Otherwise, you risk a lot of abrasive rubbing and banging of your miniatures. They only use the harder, stiff foam as a backing layer or base to glue the slotted foam walls to.

I tried looking to see exactly what the industrial or trade description of the foam is, but literally none of the companies describe their foam. I doubt it's proprietary. Closest I could find was Feldharr saying it's "fine-pored foam". I guarantee you have felt this type of foam before in your life, if you ever touch somebody's foam storage tray, you'll know which foam it is.

The perforated foam you mention is probably a similar type, especially since it's perforated. The only way you could pluck the foam with your bare fingers is if it's the softer kind so you can get a good pinch without having to use a knife to pry out the block. The way you keep it rigid is by gluing a stiffer, thin layer of foam or some kind of flexible board to the back.

Edited by Tyberos the Red Wake, 22 July 2020 - 10:40 PM.

"Grey-clad, they came from the outer night to aid the Imperium, and their jagged maw did swallow the stars, and their black gaze did mirror the void of oblivion."

- The Canticle of Cassandria Lev - Vol.CVI [Circa M37]

Fajita Fan

Fajita Fan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,046 posts
  • Faction: All of them?

Do you still have camera stores in your area?  They sell the pluck foam GW used to put in their frighteningly overpriced vehicle cases.  Combining pluck foam with magnetized bases is awesome btw.

Blame my iPhone for typos because I'm 95% on mobile.

MetalMammoth

MetalMammoth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 200 posts
Thank you all, these are excellent ideas.

Since Tyberos mentioned Feldherr, I've googled them up (along with pretty much everything else on these pages), and shipping price and time seems fair. Free actually, if I order a little more.

I've found an unperforated sheet of more or less the right size in their catalogue.
I thought it might be a harder material, as they sell it as an undersheet for their perforated stuff, but they were kind enough to reply to my e-mail (unlike another store....), and told me it's the same.
Bless their hearts, they were worried I accidentally chose a non-pick-n-pluck type.

13 pieces, in the mail!

Edited by MetalMammoth, 23 July 2020 - 10:22 AM.

• Firedrake Cordova likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Foam, Carry, Case

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users