Battle Wagons, Battle Wagons, and Battle Wagons.

Warsmith Uveron

So I have the feeling Battle Waggons will be a great unit in 9th; As such I am looking at how to build some. 

This leads me to a number of questions! 

One, what are folks thoughts on the Lobba upgrade? 

Two, it appears to me that the Waggons are good in CC esp now they can unload shooting into there targets? 

Also, and perhaps the biggest one! 

I kinda find the standard Battle Wagon kit to be a bit 'Meh'. They look orky, but they also look like they all rolled out the same factory. So Iam after any thoughts on how to convert some battle wagons. (I was playing around with ways to turn my looted tank into a battle wagon as finding rules for it are becoming harder) 

Well I am still in early stages of WIP. But a rhino chassis is the same width as a battlewagon give or take. An extension on the front/back to grow it out a bit. Build up the back end so got space for a turret etc, sink in the engine bits somewhere, wheels under the extension and got a half track battlewagon something similiar in size to GW one.

See also chimeras for base frame, leman russes for a thicc boy but need more length added if my memory serves me well on the measurements.

Well I am still in early stages of WIP. But a rhino chassis is the same width as a battlewagon give or take. An extension on the front/back to grow it out a bit. Build up the back end so got space for a turret etc, sink in the engine bits somewhere, wheels under the extension and got a half track battlewagon something similiar in size to GW one.

See also chimeras for base frame, leman russes for a thicc boy but need more length added if my memory serves me well on the measurements.

Yeah the Height is my main issue. The wagons are tall. 3' main body, 5' with turret. The Chimera and Russ are only around 2' so looking to add another 3' of stuff to the hight. Which is where I kinda collapsed on the project yesterday (Esp as all the online bits sellers are out of stock) 

Iam trying to keep away from using Space Marine parts in my Ork collection, due to Narative constraints, though Rhinos do get used by other arms of the imperium so its probably a better lift that some more 'Relic' tanks. 

Yeah the Height is my main issue. The wagons are tall. 3' main body, 5' with turret. The Chimera and Russ are only around 2' so looking to add another 3' of stuff to the hight. Which is where I kinda collapsed on the project yesterday (Esp as all the online bits sellers are out of stock)

Iam trying to keep away from using Space Marine parts in my Ork collection, due to Narative constraints, though Rhinos do get used by other arms of the imperium so its probably a better lift that some more 'Relic' tanks.

Aye I understand the lootes feel. If its deffskullz though or bloodaxe then it definitely is more appropriate that other klans. The adding height can be done with plasticard i recommended getting some of the diamond/double diamond printed ones. Just to add more texture easily

Sky is really the limit when it comes ork conversions- but google images, pinterest, the ork reddit (r/orks), and other sites have had several nifty ork conversions that are worth checking out.

I dont know how you feel about 3rd party stuff but there are companies that produce variant parts for ork kits or complete vehicles entirely that could serve as the basis for conversions

Edited by The_Chaplain

I wasn't a fan of any guns on a battlewagon in 8th, as it's too many points for a sit-back-and-shoot tank, and if you want to be in melee, the guns weren't going to be much help on turns you're still in close combat. Considering all the weapons are fired with Ork BS of 5+, it just didn't seem worth the points to me.

In 9th, that's slightly different. Now you can't lose a turn of shooting because you're in CC, so their just like extra little attacks. However, they still only hit on 5s, and none of the weapons are very good, so I still don't think I'd take them.

As for the lobba specifically, I like it fine as a profile. Unfortunately, since it's heavy, you can't advance and fire it, and a battlewagon with a deffrolla would want to advance damn near every turn.

Toaae.

Yeah more I think on it more I think maybe there are two builds for the Wagon in 9th. The dakka wagon with all the guns including the loba its probaly best to use the gun wagon data sheet and just shoot up everything. And the rolla wagon, with no heavy weapons... maybe a zapp gun as its scary and good to use in CC due to the auto hit.

I've converted up a Battlewagon from the Death Guard Plaguecrawler, combined with assorted bits from the Trukk, Mek Gun, Deff Dread, and the Munitorum Containers kits. Of course, ever since cleansing the daemons from the daemon engine, my Weirdboy hasn't quite been himself, anymore.

Aye I understand the lootes feel. If its deffskullz though or bloodaxe then it definitely is more appropriate that other klans. The adding height can be done with plasticard i recommended getting some of the diamond/double diamond printed ones. Just to add more texture easily

Yeah, thats going to be the plan for the extra hight when I need it. I do also like to keep my plasticard ratio below 10% on a model. This is mostly as otherwise you end up with too many large flat sections. 

Sky is really the limit when it comes ork conversions- but google images, pinterest, the ork reddit (r/orks), and other sites have had several nifty ork conversions that are worth checking out.

I dont know how you feel about 3rd party stuff but there are companies that produce variant parts for ork kits or complete vehicles entirely that could serve as the basis for conversions

Yeah, I have been looking around and doing some thinking, and trying to find something that fits my style. 

I've converted up a Battlewagon from the Death Guard Plaguecrawler, combined with assorted bits from the Trukk, Mek Gun, Deff Dread, and the Munitorum Containers kits. Of course, ever since cleansing the daemons from the daemon engine, my Weirdboy hasn't quite been himself, anymore.

Fantastic, Yeah I have been looking at the Container Kits as an option, Kinda want to get a pair of them to build a mek-boys workshop out off. But yeah Iam hutting down a single one to use a body for one of a pair I want to build! 

After thinking, and reading this advice. I think the plan will be to buy some bits (Containers) and a single Battlewagon box and then get out some clippers and my bits box and build two wagons, A Fast Choppy one, and a Hard and Shooty one. 

Do you need it to be roughly the same size as the official model? I made mine from a Tonka Truck, I’m pretty happy with it although it’s about twice the height and width of the official model (I’ve made all of my transports big enough to actually carry the units they transport). I’ve scratch built most of my Ork vehicles (all apart from my Deffkoptas), a Battlewagon, a Trukk, 2 Chinorks, 3 Smasha Gunz & 3 Traktor Kannons. I usually only play against my mates but I’ve had permission from a recognised ITC tournament to use them as they said “they’re orky enough for us”.

Do you need it to be roughly the same size as the official model? I made mine from a Tonka Truck, I’m pretty happy with it although it’s about twice the height and width of the official model (I’ve made all of my transports big enough to actually carry the units they transport). I’ve scratch built most of my Ork vehicles (all apart from my Deffkoptas), a Battlewagon, a Trukk, 2 Chinorks, 3 Smasha Gunz & 3 Traktor Kannons. I usually only play against my mates but I’ve had permission from a recognised ITC tournament to use them as they said “they’re orky enough for us”.

The issues I have seen are when they are smaller than the standard model.. having something bigger normaly isnt an issue.

The whole modeling for advantage arguement is a long one and becomes way more focused on competitive game play before too long, but i think its just a general rule of thumb to use the GW model size as a minimum size.

My Battlewagon was the MVP in my last game

Standard Wagon with only the dethroller upgrade (forgot about the grot rigger)

It spent the game trundling around with a unit of Meganobz and Tankbustas inside (which both jumped out at key moments to help win the game) and got some good dethroller charges in.

I find its best to keep it cheap and focus on a battlefield role rather than a jack of all trades

Edited by Perry

Fantastic, Yeah I have been looking at the Container Kits as an option, Kinda want to get a pair of them to build a mek-boys workshop out off. But yeah Iam hutting down a single one to use a body for one of a pair I want to build! 

After thinking, and reading this advice. I think the plan will be to buy some bits (Containers) and a single Battlewagon box and then get out some clippers and my bits box and build two wagons, A Fast Choppy one, and a Hard and Shooty one. 

To clarify, the only bit of the kit I used was one of the doors, to make almost a kind of trailer attached to the back of the Crawler.

If you can find anywhere selling the Warhammer Conquest magazine, you might be able to back-order one of the issues that comes with a single Container.